Mistral on Revengeance with Wooden Sword only.

#1SigmaAlastorPosted 6/11/2013 1:01:42 PM
Holy **** this is immensely irritating, basically, how the hell am I supposed to hurt her when I can't cut her damn weapon?!?

I'm actually on the second phase, somehow and i'm having a hard time dealing with the stupid Gekko, I literally can't cut though them to get to her and Mistral regularly attacks meaning if I jump, I'll need to parry and get pushed even further away...

Worst of all, even a Ripper mode onslaught after perfect parrying is doing less than 2% damage.

Am I missing a trick because I was enjoying the run so far, if it's going to be like this again then I'm out.
---
Soul Silver - 5457 2004 9429
#2SBK91Posted 6/11/2013 1:11:59 PM
I'm actually on the second phase, somehow and i'm having a hard time dealing with the stupid Gekko, I literally can't cut though them to get to her and Mistral regularly attacks meaning if I jump, I'll need to parry and get pushed even further away...

Run away from the Gekko when they get close. Wait for her to use her slingshot attack, then attack her back with Thunder Strike.

Am I missing a trick because I was enjoying the run so far,

Spamming Lightning Strike does a good job of not triggering a block. Falling Lightning is a bit stronger, but less consistent and safe. You can get through this fight with rockets, grenades, and explosive barrels alone if you're careful. Wait for a grab before using a subweapon.

Once Mistral's down, you just have the dual GRADs then it's a straight shot to Excelsus.
#3SigmaAlastor(Topic Creator)Posted 6/11/2013 2:14:50 PM
She's blocking Lightning Strike 99% of the time, unless I do it after she attacks.

I found a loop of sorts but can't keep it because it's hard to do back-forward motions again and again but I activate Ripper mode, then spam Thunder Strike, it usually forces the staff cutting section and I BM cancel and keep using TS, the staff cutting bit will keep refilling the first chunk of fuel keeping Ripper mode active.

Third phase and I am pulling my hair out, tempted to start using nanopaste as a counter to her BS.

I just want to play as Blade Wolf now but I'll lose my progress.
---
#4SBK91Posted 6/11/2013 3:01:02 PM
Third phase and I am pulling my hair out, tempted to start using nanopaste as a counter to her BS.

Do it.
#5SigmaAlastor(Topic Creator)Posted 6/11/2013 3:14:52 PM
SBK91 posted...

Do it.

Done....now I feel pretty bad but at least I stuck to using the Wooden Sword only I guess.

God, that was pretty grim, I don't think I learn't anything special about Mistral either, other then maybe as a boss fight she ain't too interesting.

Can't really fault the game on how horrible this was though, it was basically self imposed, I mean, I had to let her throw Raiden to Phase 2 as I can't cut her staff.

IMO the Wooden Sword should obliterate fences and stuff and 'smash' the blue segments of her staff, meh, whatever.
---
#6RaengPosted 6/11/2013 10:19:30 PM
Not using nanopaste is a recipe for disaster. Fighting Excelsus for 30-45 minutes with a nice one-hit kill sign hanging over your head isn't a fun thing.
---
PSN: Royta15
www.youtube.com/royta15
#7SigmaAlastor(Topic Creator)Posted 6/12/2013 6:45:10 AM
Raeng posted...
Not using nanopaste is a recipe for disaster. Fighting Excelsus for 30-45 minutes with a nice one-hit kill sign hanging over your head isn't a fun thing.

Yeah, I guess I understimated her as before that I never needed to use one and Blade Wolf was so easy I toyed with him.

The biggest thing was that I saw her staff and remembered right then that I need to cut it but can't, complete face palm moment.

Can I safely assume S Ranks are impossible to get with JUST a Wooden Sword? The No Kill bonus doesn't make up for no Zandatsu bonus.
---
#8ShabugabugabugaPosted 6/12/2013 8:15:25 AM
SigmaAlastor posted...
Raeng posted...

Yeah, I guess I understimated her as before that I never needed to use one and Blade Wolf was so easy I toyed with him.

The biggest thing was that I saw her staff and remembered right then that I need to cut it but can't, complete face palm moment.

Can I safely assume S Ranks are impossible to get with JUST a Wooden Sword? The No Kill bonus doesn't make up for no Zandatsu bonus.

Well you can't get No Kill bonuses on bosses apart from Sundowner anyway, since he's the only one that spawns human mooks.
---
"If someone told me ten years ago that Raiden was going to be cooler than Dante, I would have told you to just shut up and allow me to punch you."
#9RaengPosted 6/12/2013 10:18:41 AM
SigmaAlastor posted...

Yeah it's pretty easy until the Mistral, with every type of playthrough actually. But with and after Mistral stuff usually hits the fan.
And no, it's probably possible mostly. You'll have to get a no-kill + no damage in every fight though; fights with only non-human opponents might prove hard/ impossible to S-rank though.
---
PSN: Royta15
www.youtube.com/royta15
#10SigmaAlastor(Topic Creator)Posted 6/18/2013 1:55:43 PM
I think I might call it a day on this, I'm on Monsoon and had another moment similar to Mistral with Monsoon's 'Utopia of Death' in that I can't cut his Helicopters/APCs.

This isn't as bad as the whole 'unable to cut Miztrals staff' thing but still pretty annoying. More problematic is how much of a drag it is really, Monsoon's shenanigans frustrate me most of the time with a sword made of steel, nevermind a wooden one.

And I've pretty much lost the minute I resorted to nanopasting and Ripper on bosses imo, feels like I'm just tanking the boss.

The real kicker is that I have to do this again with the back to back BD Monsoon/Mistral fight if I continue which will probably be a 30 minute plus drag, count me out.

*brands the quitter sign on forehead*
---