Can someone explain the combat system to me?

#1zero829Posted 7/5/2013 3:00:32 AM(edited)
I don't really understand what it is the game wants me to do. I've played all sorts of action games and hack and slash games such as Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, Madworld, Godhand, Dynasty Warriors, Ninja Gaiden, etc... so I'm used to the various unique twists those games give to the combat. I finished the Mistral fight before stopping for now.

With here though there are all these random elements and I'm not sure what I should actually be doing. For example there are a number of different chains you can do, but I'm not sure what the point of them actually is? It doesn't seem to be like Devil May Cry 3 and Bayonetta which try to emphasize combo variety as the key to the game.

The Zandatsu system especially has me confused. So what should I do with my power meter? Should I just Zandatsu every single time I can? It seems to cheapen the core gameplay and it's also somewhat repetitive to see the same animation over and over again. Blade mode in general I'm not quite sure what its purpose is aside from Zandatsu and more or less glorified QTE. The full heal from it makes me feel like I'm playing on some kind of Very Easy mode too. It seems so unfitting.

So far the game has been too easy for me to actually learn what I should and should not do. I also feel like while the game did tell me how to perform things, it really has yet to tell me why to do things or what to go for. I've yet to see a reason not to just mash and then occasionally try to just parry.
---
http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/9711/4cebbcec040d6d9c5ed8d25.jpg
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/1818/gagaballrun.jpg
#2Squall_exePosted 7/5/2013 3:49:44 AM
Essentially your objective should be to kill as quickly as possible without getting hurt, as well as trying to get in as many cut parts as you can without running out of time. Its designed so you're trying to kill, recover and keep on killing as quickly as possible.

Considering you just finished Mistral means you've only just started, believe me things will heat up very soon when larger and more aggressive enemies start to show up. And in larger groups as well, so while you're trying to deal with that Gekko and 3 Cyborg Soliders you've got to watch out for Flyers or Cyborgs with Rocket Launchers you can't get to until you take down everybody down their with you.

Parrying and Dodging are actually far more useful than they seem as well, because some enemies will parry your attacks as well, and with parrying you can counter-parry leave the enemy open for a combo or even Zandatsu if you're lucky.

Dodging works better once you get Offensive Defensive, because the whole point is to wait until the last minute and get out of the way while dealing damage. Its a little tricky, but once you get the the timing down it can be really useful to get you into a better attacking position WHILE dealing damage.
#3ShadowHearsePosted 7/5/2013 4:31:53 AM
Combat:

Use combos to weaken enemies.
Parry their attacks.
Blade mode them.

That's it, for the basic enemies combos don't have a purpose. But you might still do them to set an enemy up for a more precise blade mode action.
#4zero829(Topic Creator)Posted 7/5/2013 11:38:45 AM
Thanks guys I'll keep those tips in mind as I keep playing
---
#5F0XholePosted 7/5/2013 11:51:59 AM
I kind of felt that the game was pretty easy up to that point too. But believe me, soon you will be facing Mastiffs, a gorilla-like enemy. A couple of those can completely wreck you if you slack off.
#6MurphysGhostPosted 7/5/2013 3:10:33 PM
Keep going. Very Hard mode changes a lot. You will then need to stop screwing around.
---
"The act of treachery is an art, but the traitor himself is a piece of ****." - Mike Tyson
#7zero829(Topic Creator)Posted 7/5/2013 8:40:01 PM
MurphysGhost posted...
Keep going. Very Hard mode changes a lot. You will then need to stop screwing around.

I probably won't ever try Very Hard. I'm on Monsoon or whatever that guy's name is right now and I really just want to finish the game since I don't like it or at least it has yet to grow on me. Nothing about it strikes me as memorable.
---
#8yarrmateysPosted 7/5/2013 8:50:57 PM
The game is at its best (and most difficult) when you get to face combinations of different enemies and attacks fly at you from different directions that its literally impossible to just mash parry
---
--
-
#9RaengPosted 7/5/2013 11:36:17 PM
zero829 posted...
MurphysGhost posted...

I probably won't ever try Very Hard. I'm on Monsoon or whatever that guy's name is right now and I really just want to finish the game since I don't like it or at least it has yet to grow on me. Nothing about it strikes me as memorable.

The exact reason why you dislike it is why we like it, it's not Ninja Gaiden, DMC or any other of those games. My prediction is that you're still trying to play it as one of those games and you shouldn't. This game is about efficiency and finesse, dealing with all enemies as quickly as possible by the means presented. Weak enemies should be killed instantly with Blade Mode and harvested for health, stronger ones should be quickly stripped of their armor and also harvested.

If you're looking for an ultra challenging game this isn't the place to be unless you plan on doing handicap or fresh-type runs; in which case this game is a goldmine due to it's tons of possibilities.

One thing I should recommend is VR-18 and at least Chapter R-00 on Very Hard/ Revegeance.
Get the rude awakening, then decide if you want to play the game some more. Those are all quite the wake up calls for first time players.
---
PSN: Royta15
www.youtube.com/royta15
#10zero829(Topic Creator)Posted 7/6/2013 1:26:36 AM
Raeng posted...
zero829 posted...
MurphysGhost posted...

The exact reason why you dislike it is why we like it, it's not Ninja Gaiden, DMC or any other of those games. My prediction is that you're still trying to play it as one of those games and you shouldn't. This game is about efficiency and finesse, dealing with all enemies as quickly as possible by the means presented. Weak enemies should be killed instantly with Blade Mode and harvested for health, stronger ones should be quickly stripped of their armor and also harvested.

If you're looking for an ultra challenging game this isn't the place to be unless you plan on doing handicap or fresh-type runs; in which case this game is a goldmine due to it's tons of possibilities.

One thing I should recommend is VR-18 and at least Chapter R-00 on Very Hard/ Revegeance.
Get the rude awakening, then decide if you want to play the game some more. Those are all quite the wake up calls for first time players.

I've played a lot of action games so it's not that I wanted this game to be another DMC or Bayonetta. I'm just disappointed with how it plays. The blade mode usage is disruptive and repetitive and I find the movelist feels almost pointless given the way the game works. I have nothing against parrying, but I'm not a fan of the input they chose for it. I also think the camera is awful and I didn't expect cameras to still be problematic for action games in 2013.

For reference I'm on the final boss so I'm just about done with the game. I'm glad I got it on sale rather than at full price. I love Metal Gear Solid and Platinum Studios, but this game feels more like a bad parody of both rather than some love child of the two of them. It has a terrible story mixed with some truly cringe worthy dialogue (I can forgive the Senator because he's supposed to be funny and they did a great job). It near ruins Raiden who I was shocked to find 100% unlikable in the game, it lacks a likable cast and the ones that are likable (Dok, Boris, Sam, Wolf) have almost no presence anyway. It's also fairly short and that's counting all the filler. The stealth segments, the part where the game was completely dark, the flying and running segments, and the codec calls all feel like filler meant to artificially extend the game. It's the length of Vanquish without being nearly as enjoyable.

I was also surprised to find most boss fights rather dull and way too gimmicky. It seems like nearly every boss fight had a gimmick that would make me not want to replay it, such as Monsoon's stupid electromagnetism segments that completely break the action, Wolf summoning drones to help, that pointless flying segment in Sun's fight, etc... The game is rich with QTEs and I'm frankly sick and tired of them. I also don't understand why the game even has QTE when it has a parry system and the blade mode. Just indicating to do those should be more than enough.

Then there's the horrible way they implemented side weapons too. That's a huge letdown. Seems like the only one they even put effort into was the polearm. That being said, there's no point even using them anyway.

I really wanted to enjoy this game, but it's probably one of the biggest letdowns of any game I've ever played. I'm glad so many people enjoy it though. For those that do, I'm happy for you. As for me, I think I wasted 30 dollars
---