Can someone explain the combat system to me?

#11RaengPosted 7/6/2013 2:37:12 AM
The game is not for you. Simple as that.
The fact that you don't like the bossfights shows this as they are the main selling point for a lot of players out there. For them these are the moments the game truly shines with fun combat, good difficulty balancing and an overall feeling of epicness due to a great soundtrack.

I'm sorry you didn't like it, I wish you did, but I wish you the best with the other games out there and hope you do enjoy those : ) take care!
---
PSN: Royta15
www.youtube.com/royta15
#12F0XholePosted 7/6/2013 4:40:02 AM
Sorry to hear that TC. I personally love it. I can understand your points, some of which have been hotly debated on these boards (the QTE's, for example).

Sorry about the wasted money, but THANK YOU for playing the game before trashing it. I don't know how many times on the MGSV board I've seen, "Rising is garbage! I haven't played it yet, but it looks bad!" I wasn't crazy about the Platinum direction either when it was first re-announced with them taking the lead. But it grew on me, and it blew my mind when I played it.

Here's to hoping that maybe something will stick with you. If not, MGSV still looks amazing.
#13AtumReignPosted 7/6/2013 12:10:32 PM
If I may throw my 2 cents in, I'm a martial arts practitioner and I deal a LOT with swords and cutting things. From that perspective this game is an absolute godsend. I've been waiting for a game like this to come out since I was about....11 I think. I'm 26 now. With all of that in mind Blade Mode is THE selling point of the entire thing. Working with swords you get a real appreciation for how cutting angles and positioning work and this game replicates it almost flawlessly. I can tell that they put a ridiculous amount of effort into getting it right so to say that the main focus of the game being done perfectly is disruptive and repetitive I gotta stop you. That's just flat out wrong.

I would even go as far as to say I would love an entire game played only from blade mode but that's just me.

I can at least agree on the length being too short. But really that is in and of itself a glowing endorsement of the game too. It's good enough that it makes people just ache for more content. But even with that said the game easily has over 100 hours of potential playtime because of it's nearly infinite replayability. the action is so tight and concise and so well done that when you get through one fight you just want to go do it again (main reason they should have included a boss fight mode but whatever)...actually I had an Idea the other day (by the way it's digression time) that I haven't seen anyone else come up with. Wouldn't it be awesome if you could create and design you OWN VR Missions? and then share them online. Kind of sort of like Little Big Planet.

Any way back on track, The very fact that you said this "Then there's the horrible way they implemented side weapons too. That's a huge letdown. Seems like the only one they even put effort into was the polearm. That being said, there's no point even using them anyway. " lets me know that you haven't even begun to try playing the game the way it's supposed to be played so there's really not much more to say on that.
#14Moanin_RoninPosted 7/6/2013 3:02:44 PM
Fair enough zero829, and while I may disagree, I've been the one dissuaded voice often enough that I applaud your efforts.

It's obvious to me from your above comments you gave the game a fair and thorough consideration and a valid attempt to enjoy it's unique combat perspective. I'm actually surprised your played it as far as you did considering your initial reaction to the early chapters. Granted the story is short and the basic mode considerably simplified, but I found the material is designed in a way to encourage further attempts on multiple difficulties as one's abilities improve (providing the player's interest in the game is piqued.)

I've always found that rather simplified story telling and poor conceptualization is nothing new to the field of video games (many games rely on the fetch-it questing or skill-earning/purchasing mechanics for instance.) I find the majority of stories contrived and are thinly veiled vehicles to facilitate the game engine and players interactivity, much in the way perhaps a silly revenge or underground, illegal fighting ring with gambling plot of a martial arts film leads to combat scenes or a musical's plot leads to lots of unnecessary angst singing and rejoicing dance, so unintentionally laughable dialogue (often complete with abundantly heavy-handed accenting) or overly complex plotting attempts are often, sadly, par for the course (similar cringe-inducing pro wrestling calibre dialogue reads can be found coming from the mouths of Dante, Kratos, Bayonetta, Marcus Phoenix, Master Chief, etc.)

But detrimental aspects aside, a game can still excel with exceptional elements of originality that overcome distracting issues, and for me this game's combat engine and exaggerated modern mech-ninja visualizations are such fare. While you found the interjected animations and changes in the flow and speed of combat annoying and repetitive, for the most part they are optional and I enjoyed their inclusion (they remind me of the multi-camera combat perspective transition sequences of films like The 300 or Immortals or the Spartacus TV series on the Starz channel with the shifts in subject framing and movement speed during combat.)

It's truth the camera can be bothersome, but veterans of Ninja Gaiden are used to such and can adapt when warranted.

I hope your next choice provides a more satisfactory experience for you. Cheers.
---
Ganbatte-yo! Ikken hissatsu!!!
Dojo for the Lazy Ninja: http://www.youtube.com/user/M0ANINR0NIN?feature=mhw5
#15zero829(Topic Creator)Posted 7/6/2013 5:11:48 PM
Thanks. I can see why people enjoy the game's combat. I guess I'm just more of a traditionalist or combo enthusiasts when it comes to action games so indeed perhaps this game just isn't meant for me. As for my next purchase, I might pick up Ninja Gaiden 3 Razors Edge. Hopefully it'll be more to my liking.
---
http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/9711/4cebbcec040d6d9c5ed8d25.jpg
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/1818/gagaballrun.jpg
#16MurphysGhostPosted 7/7/2013 10:17:17 AM(edited)
zero829 posted...
I might pick up Ninja Gaiden 3 Razors Edge.

Based on what you've said, I wouldn't recommend it.

It's fairly gimmick-y and not very friendly to free form combat (IMO). But if you do get it, hope you enjoy it. ;)

If you've never played Viewtiful Joe you might like that, based on your list in the OP.

---
"The act of treachery is an art, but the traitor himself is a piece of ****." - Mike Tyson
#17zero829(Topic Creator)Posted 7/7/2013 2:16:11 PM
I did like Viewtiful Joe. I loved Platinum since they were Clover.
---
#18F0XholePosted 7/7/2013 6:51:29 PM
Moanin_Ronin posted...
Fair enough zero829, and while I may disagree, I've been the one dissuaded voice often enough that I applaud your efforts.

It's obvious to me from your above comments you gave the game a fair and thorough consideration and a valid attempt to enjoy it's unique combat perspective. I'm actually surprised your played it as far as you did considering your initial reaction to the early chapters. Granted the story is short and the basic mode considerably simplified, but I found the material is designed in a way to encourage further attempts on multiple difficulties as one's abilities improve (providing the player's interest in the game is piqued.)

I've always found that rather simplified story telling and poor conceptualization is nothing new to the field of video games (many games rely on the fetch-it questing or skill-earning/purchasing mechanics for instance.) I find the majority of stories contrived and are thinly veiled vehicles to facilitate the game engine and players interactivity, much in the way perhaps a silly revenge or underground, illegal fighting ring with gambling plot of a martial arts film leads to combat scenes or a musical's plot leads to lots of unnecessary angst singing and rejoicing dance, so unintentionally laughable dialogue (often complete with abundantly heavy-handed accenting) or overly complex plotting attempts are often, sadly, par for the course (similar cringe-inducing pro wrestling calibre dialogue reads can be found coming from the mouths of Dante, Kratos, Bayonetta, Marcus Phoenix, Master Chief, etc.)

But detrimental aspects aside, a game can still excel with exceptional elements of originality that overcome distracting issues, and for me this game's combat engine and exaggerated modern mech-ninja visualizations are such fare. While you found the interjected animations and changes in the flow and speed of combat annoying and repetitive, for the most part they are optional and I enjoyed their inclusion (they remind me of the multi-camera combat perspective transition sequences of films like The 300 or Immortals or the Spartacus TV series on the Starz channel with the shifts in subject framing and movement speed during combat.)

It's truth the camera can be bothersome, but veterans of Ninja Gaiden are used to such and can adapt when warranted.

I hope your next choice provides a more satisfactory experience for you. Cheers.

What the hell? A polite, well-spoken post in a GameFAQs forum?! GRAB YER PITCHFORKS, BOYS!!!!
#19yarrmateysPosted 7/7/2013 7:37:07 PM
Moanin_Ronin posted...
While you found the interjected animations and changes in the flow and speed of combat annoying and repetitive, for the most part they are optional and I enjoyed their inclusion...

Similar to NG's Obliteration Techniques, I appreciated the brief respites that the zandatsu animations give you (never mind the fact that despite giving full i-frames they tend to get you hit as the animation ends). The breather it gives you from all the fighting is nice. Aside from that, I find it moderately thrilling to be putting myself at risk just to be able to chase that OT/zandatsu in the middle of a crowd and come out unscathed.
---
--
-
#20zero829(Topic Creator)Posted 7/7/2013 10:27:19 PM
I remember one of the zandatsu I did had Raiden do the backflip spin jump...right off the building and I died because of it LOL
---