Would you like multiplayer in the sequel?

#21NINFanboyPosted 9/3/2013 1:51:46 PM
I've been thinking about it for a while longer and realized a competitive HnS MP would only work with dedicated servers. And that's not gonna happen for such a niche genre.

Also, there's the problem with acting and reacting. In a shooter you simply point at someone you want dead and hold down a button. No special animations, no fancy combos. The engine only has to calculate how much damage each bullet deals and how many bullets you can fire per second. In most shooters the lag is never bad enough to screw you over when you're getting shot at (though I got shot around corners countless times in CoD). More often than not you get enough time to return fire or to take cover.

In a HnS game however you get a unique animation for each attack, plus continuous animations for combos. If you also take the cluster**** of all players meeting on the same 4 square meters into equation, you'll get a mess (see NG3). Add lag to the mix thanks to lack of dedicated servers and you got a bull****fest.

I suppose it would be possible to code it to reduce the lag, but you'd have to make sacrifices for that. Like worse graphics/effects or whatever else they can get rid of. No developer wants their game to look like crap, but that's what gonna happen in order to make a smooth HnS online experience. I suppose they could limit weapons and/or combos for MP, but then what would be the point of such a mode?

As for slo-mo, I don't think that would work. The two players engaged in slo-mo would have to be immune from "outside" attacks or else people would simply run up to them and button mash them to death. And if they are immune, it's gonna be a middle finger to the other players.

I'm all for co-op, though (provided they do it right). Versus wouldn't make sense unless you greatly reduce the number of players. Maybe if they'd make it 1 vs 1 like in a fighting game.

But all that doesn't matter anyway, because Blade Mode is such an integral part of MGR. Like I said before, slo-mo would be way too hard to get right. So how are you gonna implement it into an MGR MP? And if you leave it out, you'd only get MGR Lite.
---
The internet in a nutshell:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaHarYdJ2O8
#22ukokira1Posted 9/3/2013 5:46:25 PM(edited)
Frankly the reason I think thats unlikely is because of the cutting parts.
The hardware would have a meltdown. Although it could probably be done on a strong enough PC. But that would reduce sales.

Also the time dilation is unlikely because your slowing down time while affecting the enviroment. You can't do that with the way the game your talking about "Max Payne 3." Did. Max Payne 3 was merely using bullet time to kill other players.

---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.11
#23TheOriginalMaxPosted 9/4/2013 4:28:36 AM
Why are people concentrating on online multiplayer? The best times playing a game for me have been offline mp sessions.
---
To be fair, no one has unlimited patience, and at times this board could come close flustering the Buddha.-geekneck99
Freedom requires responsibility.
#24Xaldin0011Posted 9/4/2013 9:39:55 PM
Co-op, hell yeah. Competative, I'll pass. Unless it's like co-op competative, like who can get the most Zandatsu's or something.

Co-op with the choice of being Raiden, Sam, or Bladewolf would be awesome.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDHCLjuOzXY
Anjar elium farakeeu agua.
#25GeminiEntityPosted 9/4/2013 10:04:43 PM
MurphysGhost posted...
It will likely lead to overall changes in the game engine that reflect poorly on the experience. Want to know why Ryu is slower and has more recovery than all the enemies in NG3? Balancing the moveset for Deathmatch mode. Yay!

Nevermind lag, which will happen and ruins the feel of any game like this. In a shooter it's much easier to compensate for.

It's a terrible idea, and that's my opinion. Sorry. ;)

This.
---
Rock You
---
#26RayconPosted 9/4/2013 10:13:24 PM
Co-op could be pretty awesome. And I disagree about the slow-mo mechanic having to take a hit- Resistance: Fall of Man had a slow-motion sniper ability that was possible with co-op. It just slowed the second player as well (though without the benefit of the steady scope moment of the one using the sniper, obviously).

So... it could be done. Maybe not optimally, but there's probably some tricks in there somewhere.
---
I must have looked a fool playing with a backwards DS, teary eyed solving a Sudoku puzzle -Lordx718
#27NINFanboyPosted 9/5/2013 1:49:43 AM
^ I imagine that to feel really disruptive for the other player. I only played Resistance 2's multiplayer and it didn't have that slo-mo effect for the Fareye, so I guess even Insomniac considered it a bad idea in hindsight. Gameplay slowing down all of a sudden like that would bring back too many memories of framerate drops and that's not a positive association.

Maybe I'm the only one, but I would get annoyed if the game would go to slo-mo all the time without my doing.
---
The internet in a nutshell:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaHarYdJ2O8
#28Althalus2013(Topic Creator)Posted 9/5/2013 1:59:31 AM
I'd get annoyed too, but considering that slo-mo in co-op has actually been done better than in R:FoM as other people have more-or-less stated, it wouldn't have to happen. To the people saying the hardware would have a meltdown: I don't personally think so, considering that by the time the sequel is released the hardware will be the PS4 and the XBOX One. Also top-end PCs, but they can manage pretty much anything better than consoles at the price (pun acknowledged but unintentional) of costing a hell of a lot more.
#29RaengPosted 9/5/2013 2:11:25 AM
Althalus2013 posted...
I'd get annoyed too, but considering that slo-mo in co-op has actually been done better than in R:FoM as other people have more-or-less stated, it wouldn't have to happen. To the people saying the hardware would have a meltdown: I don't personally think so, considering that by the time the sequel is released the hardware will be the PS4 and the XBOX One. Also top-end PCs, but they can manage pretty much anything better than consoles at the price (pun acknowledged but unintentional) of costing a hell of a lot more.

Hardware doesn't really matter, it actually makes it worse. It's much easier to make a lagfree online game if you were to release a 16kb 8bit fighting game and give it online options. But by having beautiful games at 1080p go online you'll need a really strong internet connection and some damn good maximization on the dev's part. And that's what's got me worried about online next-gen.
The hardware is evolving but our internet, at least here in Europe, isn't.
---
PSN: Royta15
www.youtube.com/royta15
#30Squall_exePosted 9/5/2013 4:45:58 AM
What if it worked like Anarchy Reigns? I haven't played it yet though, and neither am I interested in a MP for MGRR but I figure hey why not brainstorm?

I will admit I've pondered how a DMC/Bayo/NG/MGR style game would work in a MP environment.
I mean if I was Konami/PG I would take some lessons from games like Assassin's Creed, say what you will about the franchise or the MP they took the system and made a strongly structured MP Style.

Though for the record I really don't care for MP or Co-op unless its a game that warrants it like a fighting game, or team/partner based ones like Transformers: Fall of Cybertron or any TMNT game etc... (which sucks because it doesn't have offline co-op so I can't play with my bro) so long as it doesn't subtract from the single player experience pretty much.