So MGR:R players, what are you playing now and why isn't it MGR:R?

#11syctheweilderPosted 9/19/2013 5:48:49 PM
Tales Of Xillia

Why? Because the next time Bamco will localize a tales game I'll probably be in my 40's. All the same it's gameplay is stiff and un-intuitive compared to Graces F, and the slog leading up to the first real boss fight has done a great job of making me not want to keep playing. I'm told it gets better later, as JRPG's are wont to do, so there's that.

On the side I'm also revisiting Revengeance, trying to max out all of Raiden's gear. Not looking forward to the VR missions though.
#12AtumReignPosted 9/19/2013 5:51:51 PM
I decided to give the Borderlands and uncharted series a try. I finished Borderlands part 1 about a month ago. It was pretty good but it doesn't feel like there's a lot of substance to it to keep playing. And as far as I can tell you can't upgrade every ability to the max which kinda bugs me.

I finished Uncharted 1 couple days ago and I'm working on part 2 now. Gotta say the first one didn't impress me at all. Second one is better now that they added ok-ish stealth mechanics to some areas.

I'm also "playing" Second Life because I wanted to design a better computer desk I could build in the real world. Pretty good so far I think except everything's in meters and I have to keep converting every measurement I make.

I'm not playing Rising at the moment for the same reason Reang isn't. I've done everything I want to do more times than I can count. After I'm done with Uncharted, The Last of Us is up next. And as soon as the PS4 comes out along with ports of GTAV, MGSV, ACIV, KH III and what not, I'm going to Be playing through all of those too.
#13MurphysGhostPosted 9/19/2013 6:33:47 PM
AtumReign posted...

I finished Uncharted 1 couple days ago and I'm working on part 2 now. Gotta say the first one didn't impress me at all. Second one is better now that they added ok-ish stealth mechanics to some areas.

I loved the first Uncharted. Not because it has anything mechanically interesting, but because it was pretty much Raiders of the Lost Ark: The Videogame done right.

Liked the second one, too, though perhaps slightly less. The train sequence in part 2 is awesome, though! I call 'em popcorn games- similar to movies like Transformers or the Expendables or (insert dumbass blockbuster movie here)- you're there for a fun ride, not particularly any depth. And once you see it once, you've pretty much seen it. I wouldn't pay full price for the Uncharted games but for $10-20 they make for a fun weekend. :)
---
"The act of treachery is an art, but the traitor himself is a piece of ****." - Mike Tyson
#14AtumReignPosted 9/20/2013 3:31:44 PM
MurphysGhost posted...
AtumReign posted...

I loved the first Uncharted. Not because it has anything mechanically interesting, but because it was pretty much Raiders of the Lost Ark: The Videogame done right.

Liked the second one, too, though perhaps slightly less. The train sequence in part 2 is awesome, though! I call 'em popcorn games- similar to movies like Transformers or the Expendables or (insert dumbass blockbuster movie here)- you're there for a fun ride, not particularly any depth. And once you see it once, you've pretty much seen it. I wouldn't pay full price for the Uncharted games but for $10-20 they make for a fun weekend. :)

Don't get me wrong I liked certain aspects of it. The enemy AI seemed (usually) to be pretty good. If I shot at one and missed he'd start trying to get out of the way and find cover. There were a few AI mechanics that just irked me. Like the enemies ALWAYS knowing exactly where you are and it being next to impossible to sneak up on guys that I should have had no problem getting the jump on.

I also have a problem with most games where the enemies stick around after you've just murdered 20 or so of their buddies. I don't care how well paid you are, you run when there's clearly no hope of survival.
#15Squall_exePosted 9/21/2013 1:21:50 AM
MurphysGhost posted...
Don't get me wrong I liked certain aspects of it. The enemy AI seemed (usually) to be pretty good. If I shot at one and missed he'd start trying to get out of the way and find cover. There were a few AI mechanics that just irked me. Like the enemies ALWAYS knowing exactly where you are and it being next to impossible to sneak up on guys that I should have had no problem getting the jump on.

I also have a problem with most games where the enemies stick around after you've just murdered 20 or so of their buddies. I don't care how well paid you are, you run when there's clearly no hope of survival.

Yeah that bugs me as well, and there's never any real explanation for it in most games, it makes sense in MGRR because the cyborgs have their emotions inhibited so they aren't really effected by anything. But they usually put these in these waves just for padding out the gameplay and it bugs me they can't figure out a creative solution to handle these segments besides the obligatory turret section every know and then...
#16Raeng(Topic Creator)Posted 9/21/2013 2:00:48 AM
AtumReign posted...
MurphysGhost posted...
AtumReign posted...

That was the only thing I sort of liked in the original Ninja Gaiden 3. Enemies, when you started slaughtering them, really started to piss their pj's in fright. Most games view enemies as just drones sent to their death which breaks the immersion a bit, Max Payne 3 has this as well with you having a huge 5000+ bodycount near the end of the game.

About UC1..eh. I loved 2 but 1 was just so unfinished and had so many broken moments. It's a rare game that isn't too old but has aged very badly I'm assuming.
---
PSN: Royta15
www.youtube.com/royta15
#17PhaildPosted 9/21/2013 5:54:43 AM
MGR

I'm not touching anything else until MGS5 comes out.
---
Current rank: Cpl. / Exp. required for promotion: 7 days
Caballeros.
#18desi_shinobiPosted 9/21/2013 7:52:02 AM
GTAV

There really isn't a reason to explain myself there
---
PSN - desishinobi
XBL - Desi Shinobi
#19MurphysGhostPosted 9/21/2013 7:57:05 AM(edited)
Raeng posted...

About UC1..eh. I loved 2 but 1 was just so unfinished and had so many broken moments.

Well now you've got me curious! :P How so?

desi_shinobi posted...
GTAV

There really isn't a reason to explain myself there

EXPLAIN YOURSELF, SON!

I still think I liked GTA II on the PC best. For whatever reason the 3d ones do nothing for me. 1 billion sales in 3 days, eh? Crazy stuff! :)

---
"The act of treachery is an art, but the traitor himself is a piece of ****." - Mike Tyson
#20Raeng(Topic Creator)Posted 9/21/2013 8:18:06 AM
MurphysGhost posted...
Well now you've got me curious! :P How so?

I played them out of order, that should be mentioned. I played 2,1,3.
The second one had good platforming, nothing too stellar but it worked. Grand setpieces, funny writing and a decent combat engine. Fights were short but exciting and the locals were amazing.

The first just felt so empty. It took place nearly exclusively in the jungle which got drab near the end. Enemies came in huge waves upon waves with perfect 'far cry' shots. The controls were still a bit iffy, climbing didn't feel so great, the entire final chapter was a mess imo. I must admit that playing them in reverse made it look a whole of a lot worse as I can see objectively how good it must have been then and there, but after 2 it just felt worse as that game just perfected a lot of elements.
Should also admit the game left a bitter taste in my mouth after my savefile got corrupted halfway through my Crushing playthrough. All that hard work, all those unfair deaths.. for nothing : (

MurphysGhost posted...
I still think I liked GTA II on the PC best.

Completely agree on that. Though I loved 3 and found 4 to be quite enjoyable, though mostly for it's grand writing, 2 still holds the candle for me!
---
PSN: Royta15
www.youtube.com/royta15