Just started playing: Some trick to parrying?/general tips?

#1andyrclarkPosted 10/19/2013 9:42:33 PM
Whenever I get the indicator that I have to parry, unless i'm standing stock still first, whenever I press towards the attack and square, all i do is execute a light attack and then get hit. Is there a trick to doing this properly? I've tried tapping l1 for blade mode as a sort of frame reset if i'm in the middle of a combo, but it still seems to just lead to me attack rather than parrying. Any help would be appreciated, as parrying seems really important/mandatory for this game, haha.
---
-----------------------------------------
GamerTag: ForbidHercules Online games I own: Soul Calibur 4, Tenchu Z, Rock Band, Skate
#2RaengPosted 10/19/2013 10:15:28 PM
Parrying is pretty mandatory at first indeed, though using just the Dodge can work too this is more for advanced players. The trick isn't that complex, you need to press towards the attacker (not the attack itself), there is some leeway but not too much. Red attacks can be parried, Golden/Orange can't and will result in you getting hit.

What I think is going wrong on your end is that either your timing is off or you're aiming towards the attack. For instance, against Metal Gear Ray in the Prologue he can do a tail swipe. To block this you don't aim towards the tail which is coming from the left, but towards Ray who's in front of you.

Should be noted, the parrying works perfectly so all that is going wrong is on your skill atm. Don't worry, you'll catch on fast I'm sure! But just stating to put you on ease that you didn't buy a broken game or anything.

Other general tips (as you asked for them in the OP) is to buy Dodge and Air Parry first, explore a bit (lots of chests with hidden upgrades) and if you want in-game 100% (not trophies, but in-game, which is way harder) it's suggested to start on Hard immediatly and NOT pick up any health upgrades.
There's a unlockable title that requires you to beat the game on Hard without health or fuel upgrades, which means you need to completely restart your savedata if you've already picked one up on previous runs.

Good luck!
---
PSN: Royta15
www.youtube.com/royta15
#3andyrclark(Topic Creator)Posted 10/20/2013 7:48:22 AM
Thanks a lot, i'm definitely doing much better now.
Pointing towards the person rather than the attack has helped.
Also, I have a tendancy to point towards whoever I was attacking, so I was already pointing towards them and attacking with square, which I guess always pointing towards them was ruining the parry somehow. Now that I just press square to attack and press towards them to parry, I can usually get the parry off now.
I got the dodge as well, and it's definitely a better option against some enemies. Definitely glad I picked this game up, it's been really fun and challenging so far.
---
GamerTag: ForbidHercules Online games I own: Soul Calibur 4, Tenchu Z, Rock Band, Skate
#4F0XholePosted 10/20/2013 3:37:30 PM
It is definitely not a drop-in-and-play game like God of War and other, similar titles. There is a learning curve, and parrying is a main focus of the battle system. You will get better with time. At first, you will simply be mashing the attack button, but keep at it and you'll find that you can do some pretty skillful things. It is certainly not a broken move; people just become frustrated with it because it requires you to be somewhat precise.

This game is all about timing. God of War is all about offense - - mashing the attack buttons to take down waves of enemies. Ninja Gaiden is all about defense - - blocking and dodging until an opening arises. The producers say Metal Gear Rising is all about offense, but it is really all about counter attacking - - attacking enemies, using their attacks to knock them off-balance, and continuing your assault.

Like I and Raeng have said: it comes with time. Lucky for you, Raeng frequents these boards, and he is one of the MGR elites. On top of that, an incredibly nice and helpful poster.
#5andyrclark(Topic Creator)Posted 10/20/2013 5:22:02 PM
Yeah, I just finished the game on hard mode with an overall B ranking, I feel like I did pretty well.

The only thing that gives me much trouble is multiple larger enemies at once, it's hard to keep everyone on screen so that you can see the attacks coming to parry or dodge them.

Going to embark again tonight on Very Hard mode, and try to do things more speedily.
---
#6F0XholePosted 10/20/2013 5:52:53 PM
andyrclark posted...
Yeah, I just finished the game on hard mode with an overall B ranking, I feel like I did pretty well.

The only thing that gives me much trouble is multiple larger enemies at once, it's hard to keep everyone on screen so that you can see the attacks coming to parry or dodge them.

Going to embark again tonight on Very Hard mode, and try to do things more speedily.

Very Hard is probably the hardest difficulty. Revengeance is technically harder, but you get a huge power boost when you perform a perfect parry (usually an insta-kill). That boost is not present on VH, effectively allowing the enemies to take more damage.
#7MurphysGhostPosted 10/20/2013 7:21:26 PM
andyrclark posted...

In a straight-up fight, groups of advanced enemies can be quite difficult if you tackle them head-on.

Opening a fight with a stealth kill can help, if possible. (Killing all enemies via stealth or sneaking through altogether is also possible in many cases, though you won't get a ranking if you do that.)

Also, the sub-weapons and boss (unique) weapons are far from useless. EM grenades will stun groups of enemies, RP grenades will blind them, etc. A guided missile can quickly take a helicopter down. Monsoon's sai has a stun property that lets you take one enemy offline for a few seconds. That's not even getting into special blades like the Armor Breaker and Stun Blade.

Don't forget Ripper Mode. It drains fuel quickly but it's devastating against armored cyborgs.

It's possible to play Very Hard and Revengeance just charging in with the HF Blade (I enjoy doing this), but it will be an easier learning curve if you take advantage of all the tools provided, especially against groups of tough enemies. :)
---
"The act of treachery is an art, but the traitor himself is a piece of ****." - Mike Tyson
#8andyrclark(Topic Creator)Posted 10/20/2013 9:24:36 PM
Ugh yeah, i've definitely got to start using subweapons and such.
Very Hard has only increased my original trouble tenfold now that there seem to be twice as many enemies at a time, that are much more aggressive. There are simply too many attacks going off at once to even block or avoid.
---
#9Althalus2013Posted 10/21/2013 12:08:29 AM
andyrclark posted...
Ugh yeah, i've definitely got to start using subweapons and such.
Very Hard has only increased my original trouble tenfold now that there seem to be twice as many enemies at a time, that are much more aggressive. There are simply too many attacks going off at once to even block or avoid.

Personally, I think this game isn't about offence, defence or counter-offence. I think it's about speed. The reason I mention that is because I think it might help you to try and go after the enemies one at a time and take them out as fast as possible. Focus on upgrading the Murasama or the Armour Breaker, as they are the two most useful weapons in the game. AB/M + Ripper Mode will make short work of even the Mastiffs. Basically, it goes something like this:

With the Murasama: Ripper Mode, Sky High, if enemy is still not dead Sky High again, if enemy is still not dead try one more time with Sky High and then Zandatsu. Make sure you chop the enemy up a fair bit in Blade Mode to get a decent combo. If needed at any point, parry or dodge enemy attacks. Because the Zandatsu will have given you back your fuel cells, you can just repeat this process until all of the enemies are dead.

With the Armour Breaker: Ripper Mode, a string of light attacks until the enemy goes blue, Zandatsu. Which of these swords you use is up to you. If you'd prefer to at least do some fighting the Murasama is for you, if you'd prefer to just cheese it (I would) use the Armour Breaker. I hope this helps. ~Althalus

P.S. Unless you're going for a special run, Infinite Wig B is your friend.
#10andyrclark(Topic Creator)Posted 10/21/2013 6:26:19 AM
Well I don't have any of those things unlocked yet, so it's just the Muramasa for now, haha.

I'll have to try and get the hang of controlling ripper mode more then. As of now whenever I use it, it just shreds things to death. If I can learn to keep using zandatsu to sustain it though, that would definitely make things easier.
---