something I always wondered about (SPOILERS!)

#1MetalGearDogmaPosted 12/3/2013 11:47:11 PM
as much as i love raiden...

why wasnt armstrong able to break raidens armor?
he was extremely strong! remembered me of DBZ broly
he stomped on raiden, rammed his fists in every part of him.

but there was absolute no scratch anywhere. besides the broken visor.

but the cyborg in R 03 impaled raiden easily.

so ...
i guess impact damage is more or less useless and HF blades do work better

or am I wrong?
---
Dragons Dogma Pawn: Yamato, Lvl 200, Strider (Dark Arisen)
PSN: FF7_Lissy http://cyborgarisen.deviantart.com/gallery/ Girl Gamer, dattebayo!
#2Nate_the_Great8Posted 12/4/2013 1:28:51 AM
Plot armor.

On a serious note though, im not sure how raiden survives some things. I stopped trying to figure that out since MGS4 >_<
---
PSN/LoL: Nate_the_Great8
#3Squall_exePosted 12/4/2013 3:14:47 AM
MetalGearDogma posted...

why wasnt armstrong able to break raidens armor?
he was extremely strong! remembered me of DBZ broly
he stomped on raiden, rammed his fists in every part of him.

but there was absolute no scratch anywhere. besides the broken visor.

That bugged me too... I was wondering if we'd see a battle damaged Raiden but that didn't seem to happen.

I think the reason might because, well Armstrong was using his fists and feet to stomp him, maybe the custom body is designed to take impacts better than penetrating and cutting attacks??? He was also stabbed in the stomach, maybe the armor is weaker there?

Or you know what would make more sense actually now that I think about it? Even though Raiden's suit I'm thinking the combination of metal armor plating over carbon nanotube musculature might have reduced the amount of damage Raiden takes...

as for being stabbed the armor I'm guess was weaker there but considering how frequently Raiden absorbs nanopaste the wound and suit damage would have been repaired instantly anytime Zandatsu was preformed...

Ultimately I feel like Raiden's new body, in terms of defense isn't as strong as we think it is, but rather because its constantly being healed its not really an issue?

I dunno I'm just guessing at this point really, anybody else have any ideas?
#4AtumReignPosted 12/4/2013 3:39:18 AM
There's no need to invoke plot armor.

If I may try to explain.

A couple of things, While Raidens body is essentially 100% artificial and mostly armored, there are parts that are clearly less armored than others. When the cyborg stabbed him it was definitely through an area of his body with minimal armoring. Couple that with the fact that the more sharply a point terminates the more easily it will penetrate any given material. those HF blades are made to be unimaginably strong and sharp and those cyborgs are said to poses extreme super human strength as well. so it would take little effort for one to stab right through Raidens body.

Now lets take a look at Armstrong.Yes he is probably the strongest person Raiden went up against (though that's not necessarily true) his fists absolutely have less penetrating power than the tip of a HF Katana. That and if I remember correctly almost all of armstrongs punches were to the more heavily armored parts of Raidens exoskeleton. So it's possible those parts of Raidens armor were strong enough to resist those hits. And that would make sense because they likely protect the suits most vital "organs" of Raidens body. Had it been crushed in at those points he would have died instantly from massive vital organ trauma.
#5Squall_exePosted 12/4/2013 3:55:26 AM
AtumReign posted...
There's no need to invoke plot armor.

If I may try to explain.

A couple of things, While Raidens body is essentially 100% artificial and mostly armored, there are parts that are clearly less armored than others. When the cyborg stabbed him it was definitely through an area of his body with minimal armoring. Couple that with the fact that the more sharply a point terminates the more easily it will penetrate any given material. those HF blades are made to be unimaginably strong and sharp and those cyborgs are said to poses extreme super human strength as well. so it would take little effort for one to stab right through Raidens body.

Now lets take a look at Armstrong.Yes he is probably the strongest person Raiden went up against (though that's not necessarily true) his fists absolutely have less penetrating power than the tip of a HF Katana. That and if I remember correctly almost all of armstrongs punches were to the more heavily armored parts of Raidens exoskeleton. So it's possible those parts of Raidens armor were strong enough to resist those hits. And that would make sense because they likely protect the suits most vital "organs" of Raidens body. Had it been crushed in at those points he would have died instantly from massive vital organ trauma.

Ah yes, thank you Atum! That makes far more sense than what I said and you said it in a more coherent way as well!
#6MetalGearDogma(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2013 8:59:14 AM
yeah

this makes a lot of sense indeed^^

maybe we should call atum "doktor"
^^

thanks for your answers
---
Dragons Dogma Pawn: Yamato, Lvl 200, Strider (Dark Arisen)
PSN: FF7_Lissy http://cyborgarisen.deviantart.com/gallery/ Girl Gamer, dattebayo!
#7AtumReignPosted 12/4/2013 1:19:09 PM
MetalGearDogma posted...
yeah

^^

thanks for your answers

There's a saying I like.

"Any sufficiently explained magic is indistinguishable from technology."

It's a spin on a more famous saying

"any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".

Any way, I'm glad I could help.
#8Hawke0Posted 12/4/2013 3:40:24 PM
AtumReign posted...
MetalGearDogma posted...
yeah

^^

thanks for your answers

There's a saying I like.

"Any sufficiently explained magic is indistinguishable from technology."

It's a spin on a more famous saying

"any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".

Any way, I'm glad I could help.

Clever quote Doktor.
---
"Sig of the Day: "To be fair, real life is full of teleporting mexicans too..." -Punch"-AISP
The One and Only True Mr.Ford
#9Seifross2010Posted 12/4/2013 7:01:53 PM
http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/High-frequency_blade

" A high-frequency blade is a sword reinforced by a powerful alternating current and resonates at extremely high frequencies. This oscillation weakens the molecular bonds of anything it cuts, thereby increasing its cutting ability. "

I assume this is why Raiden can be impaled, but not easily crushed or anything. I think his armour's super strong, but an HF blade cuts just about anything.
#10Squall_exePosted 12/4/2013 10:51:26 PM
Seifross2010 posted...
http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/High-frequency_blade

" A high-frequency blade is a sword reinforced by a powerful alternating current and resonates at extremely high frequencies. This oscillation weakens the molecular bonds of anything it cuts, thereby increasing its cutting ability. "

I assume this is why Raiden can be impaled, but not easily crushed or anything. I think his armour's super strong, but an HF blade cuts just about anything.

This actually brings up another question I've had myself, in the beginning fight with the ray and even in the end with excelius, both MGs use Plasma Blades rather than HF Blades.

I vaguely remember someone mentioning that Plasma Blades are supposed to be stronger than HF Blades? I might have just imagined this but can anybody tell me what are some of the differences between the HF Blade and Plasma blade in the MGRR universe, and why doesn't Raiden use one?