what do you think, will we get the MGR sequel? spoilers maybe

#11NINFanboyPosted 12/27/2013 3:46:20 AM
No open world, please. Unless perhaps it was something like NGB/NGS1 where you're always going through corridors anyway. But a stable framerate, high fps, tight controls and the BM mechanic will always come before level design for me.

I can also do without the stealth. MGR is supposed to be a spin-off in a different genre. Might as well go all the way and drop stealth altogether. Although I would love it if there were stealth-based VR Missions.

Speaking of which, make VR Mission ranks not based on time (except race courses, obviously), but rather based on score, total kills, number of cuts made, etc.

And make battle rankings a bit more forgivable. Even when I do take damage, it shouldn't be too hard to get an S rank anyway. Introduce an SS ranking for players that go the extra mile. As for bosses, the no-damage bonus should be a guaranteed S rank.
---
You've read it. You can't un-read it.
#12RaengPosted 12/27/2013 6:37:15 AM
NINFanboy posted...
No open world, please. Unless perhaps it was something like NGB/NGS1 where you're always going through corridors anyway. But a stable framerate, high fps, tight controls and the BM mechanic will always come before level design for me.

Agreed, though I also disliked NGB for that part. Action games shouldn't be about exploration but about kickass action. I prefer the Bayonetta/DMC way. Lineair as sin but with some very well hidden extras.

NINFanboy posted...
I can also do without the stealth. MGR is supposed to be a spin-off in a different genre. Might as well go all the way and drop stealth altogether. Although I would love it if there were stealth-based VR Missions.

I'd like to think the Sam DLC was a taste of things to come, an experiment. He had no stealth and played a lot faster compared to Raiden, I'm pretty sure if MGR2 will be made it will be more akin to Sam's DLC then the main campaign.

NINFanboy posted...
Speaking of which, make VR Mission ranks not based on time (except race courses, obviously), but rather based on score, total kills, number of cuts made, etc.

Personally, again, I'd prefer them to just be like something in Vanquish / NGS2. Just make them fighting missions where you can fight certain enemy compositions you couldn't in the main game. Honestly what's the fun in half of those VR missions atm? They're horrible ;p

NINFanboy posted...
And make battle rankings a bit more forgivable. Even when I do take damage, it shouldn't be too hard to get an S rank anyway. Introduce an SS ranking for players that go the extra mile. As for bosses, the no-damage bonus should be a guaranteed S rank.

I feel the entire ranking system is broken atm, as it directly contradicts the whole gameplay style. The game is about killing quick and efficiently, yet you need a huge Zandatsu and Combo amount sometimes which makes no sense. I feel you should get a higher score the lower your 'amount of hits done' is, showing you knew how to strike hard and sure.
Wouldn't mind a REVENGEANCE-rank just as a wink to the original game ;p which requires you to get and no-damage and max score.
---
PSN: Royta15
www.youtube.com/royta15
#13MurphysGhostPosted 12/27/2013 7:22:46 AM
I for one hope the stealth stays. I think it's part of what makes MGR unique and it also adds more options / replay value. If anything, I think they should look at the parts of MGR where pure stealth, sneaky ninja killing and direct combat are all viable options, and try to design the majority of MGR 2 to be like that.
---
"The act of treachery is an art, but the traitor himself is a piece of ****." - Mike Tyson
#14RaengPosted 12/27/2013 7:47:05 AM
MurphysGhost posted...
I for one hope the stealth stays. I think it's part of what makes MGR unique and it also adds more options / replay value. If anything, I think they should look at the parts of MGR where pure stealth, sneaky ninja killing and direct combat are all viable options, and try to design the majority of MGR 2 to be like that.

You mean mix Wolf's style in there? That every fight can also be stealthed fully?
---
www.youtube.com/royta15
#15MurphysGhostPosted 12/27/2013 8:43:33 AM(edited)
Not every fight, but most of them, yes.

And I do think Raiden should be able to get high marks for pure stealth (no interaction with enemies, no detection) or hunting stealth (going undiscovered but killing everyone), like Wolf can.

I don't think implementing said aspects would hurt the action / combat aspect much, because as MGR shows, they already basically figured out how to do it.

The stealth needs a bit more polish (like just about everything in MGR) but I'd say it's already about 85% to where it needs to be. Just a bit more depth to the enemy detection mechanics and some improved parkour + wall running to make Raiden's 'hunting' a bit slicker, maybe a few variations on stealth kill animations, etc. and it's done. (Oh, and for God's sake, let us ninja run and attack in AR mode...)

The real challenge becomes one of making great level designs to provide for the sort of enclosed sandbox freedom needed to make the most of such a flexible game. (R-01, parts of R-03 and R-07 are fairly decent examples.) Given a respectable schedule I think they'd pull it off fine, though. They pretty much already did in MGR.
---
"The act of treachery is an art, but the traitor himself is a piece of ****." - Mike Tyson
#16DJ_0000Posted 12/27/2013 11:11:58 AM
I think stealth should just stay as it is now, adding to much would detract from the action in my opinion but it is an aspect that I don't want to go because it makes the game feel unique. As it is you can use stealth to affect rank by eliminating a couple of enemies before triggering the fight and I think that's good enough.

As for the open world suggestion, I would love to see something like an open world RPG with deep action combat at some point but this isn't a game that I think would benefit from adding an open world.

When it comes to it I just want another MGR with more polish, more content and maybe a couple of tweaks to combat (eg. weapon switching). Also change the VR missions like Raeng said, Vanquish style would be a lot more fun to me.
#17F0XholePosted 12/27/2013 12:42:04 PM
Raeng, I have to disagree with you about the stealth. While MGR is definitely better as an action game, I really enjoyed the stealth. Well, maybe not the stealth mechanics necessarily, but just that they were conscious enough about the series to include it in a way that compliments the MGR gameplay pretty well.

That said, I do have a few complaints about it:

1) Free-cutting an unaware guard triggers an Alert. I don't know how many times I've ran up behind a guy who has no clue I'm there, lob his head off, and an Alert pops up. I wish the game had better situational awareness, so that we didn't have to go through the stealth kill animation for it to trigger as a stealthy kill.

2) The AI is dumb. I mean, REALLY dumb. You can practically run into a guy before he notices anything, and a freakin' Gekko can blow up a couple meters behind him without him even flinching. The tactical approach to stealth takedowns is minute, because they have no clue what's going on unless they are staring right at you. I just wish the AI had better spatial awareness.

I guess that's about it. Give us more stealthy options, and make them more aware of what is around you. I wouldn't want to see force fights taken away, but I'd like to see the players get rewarded more for using stealth. Don't make stealth the focus, but flesh it out a bit more so it's not so shoehorned in.

As for open-world? Nah, unless it's kind of like Ninja Gaiden/Metroid-lite style. One thing I like about those games is that even as you progress through a linear path, it can circle back around to previous areas without backtracking. From there, usually you have a new key or power up to go through a new door. It would be a good use of resources, as you could re-use the same assets in new ways. It gives the appearance of an open-world, but really it is a linear path that intersects with itself. It can really help make a small world feel bigger.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.
#18RaengPosted 12/27/2013 1:05:14 PM(edited)
F0Xhole posted...
Raeng, I have to disagree with you about the stealth. While MGR is definitely better as an action game, I really enjoyed the stealth. Well, maybe not the stealth mechanics necessarily, but just that they were conscious enough about the series to include it in a way that compliments the MGR gameplay pretty well.

Oh I turoughly enjoyed the stealth segments and the ability to do as such, but it was just too broken and I somewhat fear that P* will abuse the stealth mechanic even more to fill the sequel up.
Lets face it, P* is amazing godly amazing amazing at action games, but not much else (okami was good though). I'm a bit afraid that if stealth stays in it'll get a larger role but stays just as bad.
Stealth is really hard to do right, even stealth series like Assassins Creed can't pull it of correctly or consistently and I have high doubts if P* can do it well.
We all turned a big blind eye to MGR:R's faults because it was rushed and for how fresh it was, but for a sequel I'd either like no stealth or some really good stealth on the side.

THAT said, I have switched my opinion a bit. Because you all are right. The stealth does give MGR:R part of it's fresh appeal.

One thing I'd really want them to up on though is the cutting mechanic. You can cut down bridges here where soldiers are standing on...and it does nothing. They just appear suddenly on the ground without pain. Environmental attacks, using your surroundings to your advantage, that would really open up the game in my book.

MurphysGhost posted...
(Oh, and for God's sake, let us ninja run and attack in AR mode...)

I once talked with a guy on Youtube how I envisioned MGR:R, and one thing that was on this list was an extension of that. I want to be able to attack while moving. MGR:R is supposed to be the Vanquish with swords, but every attack is still stationary. Just imagine if you could do everything on the move, charging attacks, all sorts of moves while moving. Would be pretty unique as all games so far have you fight stationary.
---
www.youtube.com/royta15
#19Pinochet89Posted 12/28/2013 9:17:26 AM
Why not make it like a Tenchu Game? i can see Raiden crouching, crawling etc. and being stealthy. Just reduce the over the top action and go back to the roots.If they do a Raiden game set between MGS2-MGS4. I'd hope Kojima had a bigger part in it.. while MGR was fun with all its crazy stuff (especially senator armstrong on nanomachines) I wouldn't want those kinds of things to return. I'd like to have it very serious. Not_sure_if can trust PG* to do that kind of a game... I'd gladly be wrong though.

Anyway, I have to admit, when I saw the FOX Engine graphics for the first version of MGR (Or Metal Gear Solid: Rising), they looked amazing and I will admit, a lot better than PG. So I do hope the FOX Engine will help make MGR2 because I am not bashing PG's graphics, they have good graphics too, but yeah, I'd prefer to see the on the FOX Engine, give it a little more purity.

Just my opinion, ok? ^^

A few more ideas:

- Introduce Jack's old unit, from Solidus' 'Army of The Devil'.

I think they'd be a great opposition to bring onto the scene. In fact, were they to become some signifigant force, it'd make perfect sense to send Jack after them. As well, the sheer history Jack would have with them opens up all kinds of possibilities for rivalries, old friendships, even, possibly, old love?

Say, for example, the AoTD had a SGU, or Small Girl Unit. What if one of those girls had had a crush on Jack way back when? Jack's actions inspiring her to be come a devil like him, a killer.

- Change up some of the mechanics such as weapon switching and ninja runing since it kinda ruins some of the gameplay with it's automatic features and I would've personally prefered more freedom in movement and immediate flexibility when switching between unique weapons.

- I'd like to see more UG and preferrably more METAL GEAR bosses, Personaly i always wanted to fight a flying Metal Gear fortress since it makes for rivalring PMC's to want to create something that could in-fact counter the possibility of facing mass produced artiller MG's like Excellsus. Also the possibility of piloting a MG again like the REX Vs RAY fight in MGS4 is something I'd like to have again.

- Bring back Sam and Wolf. While the DLC was short and also had lackluster level's. The two characters bring a bit of diversity to the genuine approach of MGR's gameplay and I think it'd be nice to continue on it. I don't think Sam is dead due specifically to the way he was defeated as opposed to the other bosses, and it's possible that Doktor//Maverick could've sent someone to pick his body up for immediate cybernetic surgery to save him. Besides in the ending Doktor and the gang mentioned about a "new recruit" doing well. Considering Sam's history in both the CODEC and DLC there is a possibility of him replacing Raiden in Maverick.

- A scene where Raiden visits Snake's grave.

- Improve the camera.

- Include more hand to hand combat styles or options in the game.
#20RaengPosted 12/29/2013 2:30:08 AM
I really am in a quoting mood these days.

Pinochet89 posted...
Anyway, I have to admit, when I saw the FOX Engine graphics for the first version of MGR (Or Metal Gear Solid: Rising), they looked amazing and I will admit, a lot better than PG. So I do hope the FOX Engine will help make MGR2 because I am not bashing PG's graphics, they have good graphics too, but yeah, I'd prefer to see the on the FOX Engine, give it a little more purity.

Just my opinion, ok? ^^

THIS IS GAMEFAQS! NOT ALLOWED TO HAVE OPINION!
But to clarify, the Fox Engine was dumped mid production because it couldn't allow 60fps in that generation of consoles, which is mandatory in this genre. It looks a LOT better and honestly I think Platinum Games's engine looks a bit dated, but it does run very smooth.

Pinochet89 posted...
- Change up some of the mechanics such as weapon switching and ninja runing since it kinda ruins some of the gameplay with it's automatic features and I would've personally prefered more freedom in movement and immediate flexibility when switching between unique weapons.

Agree, more freedom would be awesome!

Pinochet89 posted...
about a "new recruit" doing well.

They meant George I believe, still Sam is dead. They could still make an AI.Sam like with Mistral and Monsoon though and have you play as that. Would work, though it would be insanely morbid ;p

Pinochet89 posted...
- A scene where Raiden visits Snake's grave.

I'd have so much respect if they'd do this. I somewhat have a feeling they don't want to commit to Snake being dead because that would make it permanent and Kojima likes loose ends that he can have come back.

Pinochet89 posted...
- Include more hand to hand combat styles or options in the game.

^^^THIS.
---
www.youtube.com/royta15