Thinking about picking up this game...

#1RetroGamer9Posted 2/7/2014 6:08:10 AM(edited)
Been a fan of MGS since ps1 era, so I downloaded the free demo off PSN.

I dont really care for hack and slash games so first play through I wasn't really thrilled by this game but just recently I learned that you can choose to utilise stealth in this game.

I have always been a fan of the stealth aspect in MGS and have always loved games like old school Tenchu, so I replayed this game using stealth and really enjoyed it.

Question is, minus obvious boss fights and such, am I able to predominantly use stealth to get through the stages?
#2whatdahell123Posted 2/7/2014 6:31:27 AM
Yes through some stages. It does affect your rank if you use stealth. Some VR missions require stealth.
---
Now hold on a minute playa!
#3PhaildPosted 2/7/2014 6:55:11 AM
am I able to predominantly use stealth to get through the stages?

No
---
Current rank: Cpl. / Exp. required for promotion: 7 days
Caballeros.
#4ChickenfrogmanPosted 2/7/2014 11:56:35 AM
The stealth is bare bones and not meant to be anything more then an occasional gimmick. If you don't want to suplex a Metal Gear don't buy this game. It is the best game in the franchise though.
---
Renekton would make a terrible lifeguard. He'd just laugh at you as you drown and die and then probably eat your corpse.
PSN: RevolverChicken7
#5d100ProductionsPosted 2/7/2014 1:19:45 PM
The requirement to get the 'Stealth' title a.k.a. Sword To Secrecy requires no more than 35 detections in one play. So you can sort of see how... stealth focused the game is. Not very much. There is good news however. The Blade Wolf DLC is now free to download (the robot dog you fought at the end of the demo) and his DLC is MUCH more stealth focused. To S-Rank it it's actually pretty much required that your never detected and are able to pull off alot of stealth kills. The bad news is that's its both extremely short, and extremely un-challenging when done this way unlike the Jetstream Sam DLC which is similarly short but very difficult (if your going for S-Rank on all difficulty modes like Blade Wolf). As a side note, Blade Wolf is also very shallow in what he can do combat wise. Unlike Sam and Raiden.

But I'll stop here before I go into a real rant. There isn't much stealth here, and I suggest if your going to get this game you grow to like the hack and slash it offers a little more. Because there is going to be ALOT of it if your a completionist.
#6MurphysGhostPosted 2/7/2014 6:44:57 PM
You can stealth through quite a bit, but there are several forced fights in each stage.

In general I'd say that stealth can be used to cut the number of fights in each level by half, if not more. Note that some fights are QUITE tricky to stealth past, but if you look up some MGR speedruns you should pick up some good ideas. ;)
---
"The act of treachery is an art, but the traitor himself is a piece of ****." - Mike Tyson
#7RetroGamer9(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2014 11:18:16 PM
MurphysGhost posted...
You can stealth through quite a bit, but there are several forced fights in each stage.

In general I'd say that stealth can be used to cut the number of fights in each level by half, if not more. Note that some fights are QUITE tricky to stealth past, but if you look up some MGR speedruns you should pick up some good ideas. ;)

That's okay, as in previous MGS's there are always some boss fights which requires direct combat. Just wanted to know if you can still stealth through some/most of the game.

I think I'll pick this game up, its only $30 on eBay anyway... thanks guys.
#81anthonygamer1Posted 2/8/2014 11:23:23 AM
$30? Dude I just got this game from amazon.com for $13. Check there before you pay $30.