So when did revenge come into the picture? (spoilers)

#1PT_PiranhaPosted 2/11/2014 2:46:12 PM
It's called "Revengeance" and I've played the whole game twice, but I'm not so sure. I'm trying to think of any instance of avenging in the game, but I'm not seeing them work.

Are we avenging N'mani? I thought we were just stopping Desperado because they needed to be stopped. And if we were avenging him, that plotline seems to have been dropped after Mexico, when Raiden started having other reasons to fight.

Is Raiden avenging himself for Solidus coming up with the program that Desperado's using? I don't know if 'revenge' is the first thought that'd come to my mind.

Jack the Ripper coming back with a vengeance? ... That can't be right.

In Chapter 6 Raiden seems to think beating Sam is revenge for their fight in Africa, which I guess could count, but that's not worthy of being the game's namesake.

Avenging Wolf when you fight Armstrong? That'd be awfully last-minute for something to name the game after. Not to mention Wolf was fine later.

Avenging Sam's lost ideals, or avenging Wolf by killing Mistral? We wouldn't even know those until playing the DLC stories.

I'm lost, here.
---
You're important to somebody. They care about you.
#2R-TacoPosted 2/11/2014 4:05:18 PM
Yeah, despite the title and Kojima himself saying the story's theme was "REVENGE", the story seems to actually have a theme of "WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOR?!". The motivations for fighting are constantly brought up, as is people fighting for what they believe in vs. fighting under orders.
#3PT_Piranha(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2014 4:57:07 PM
Maybe revenge is a meta theme, as in Raiden's getting revenge for all those years of being looked down on by MG fans, now he's gonna be awesome.
---
#4joegt123Posted 2/11/2014 5:01:33 PM
I think at first it was a grudge against sundowner and sam, then became an anti child soldier thing. Wasnt Raiden a child soldier? So getting vengeance on everyone involved in dissecting some thousands of kids would be applicable.
---
"It was not for quiet complacence he was given the name of 'Thunder God'."
Currently Playing: Too damn many things at the same bloody time... (25+)
#5The Rogue CobraPosted 2/11/2014 6:53:26 PM
Here you go:

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/09/01/where-does-the-title-metal-gear-rising-revengeance-come-from/
---
It takes more than a costume and an attitude to do this work. - Batman
I'm crazy enough to take on Batman, but the IRS, NOOOOO thank you! - The Joker
#6obliviondollPosted 2/11/2014 8:32:33 PM
Raiden was a child soldier.

He's getting revenge for what was done to him by taking down a group planning to do it en masse to other children.
---
"I want my meals to think for myself"
#7PT_Piranha(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2014 9:39:36 PM
obliviondoll posted...
Raiden was a child soldier.

He's getting revenge for what was done to him by taking down a group planning to do it en masse to other children.

I see that as a rescue more than getting vengeance.
---
#8AtumReignPosted 2/12/2014 12:20:10 AM(edited)
The Rogue Cobra posted...
Here you go:

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/09/01/where-does-the-title-metal-gear-rising-revengeance-come-from/

Wh, what? It's revenge for not getting made the first time around, that.....is literally nonsense. one sec....

re·venge
noun
noun: revenge

the action of inflicting hurt or harm on someone for an injury or wrong suffered at their hands.
"other spurned wives have taken public revenge on their husbands"
synonyms: vengeance, retribution, retaliation, reprisal, requital, recrimination, an eye for an eye (and a tooth for a tooth), redress, satisfaction
the desire to inflict retribution.
synonyms: vengefulness, vindictiveness, vitriol, spite, spitefulness, malice, maliciousness, malevolence, ill will, animosity, hate, hatred, rancor, bitterness; More
literarymaleficence
(in sports) the defeat of a person or team by whom one was beaten in a previous encounter.
"the Yankees wanted to get their revenge for losing to the Dodgers in the 1955 Series"

verb
literary
verb: revenge; 3rd person present: revenges; past tense: revenged; past participle: revenged; gerund or present participle: revenging

inflict hurt or harm on someone for an injury or wrong done to (someone else).
inflict hurt or harm on someone for (an injury or wrong done to oneself or another)
synonyms: avenge, take/exact revenge for, exact retribution for, take reprisals for, get redress for, get satisfaction for
inflict hurt or harm on someone for an injury or wrong done to oneself.

yeah that's what i thought, who inflicted suffering on kojima productions and exactly how were they made to pay? Failing to do something and outsourcing it is in no way shape or form an act of vengeance. Sorry if I seem like I'm ranting. I'm not really. In my head there's a much more light hearted tone i'm using but that's difficult to convey in writing. any way, yeah, nonsense.

Just for kicks:

non·sense
noun
noun: nonsense

spoken or written words that have no meaning or make no sense.
synonyms: rubbish, gibberish, claptrap, balderdash, blarney; More
hogwash, baloney, rot, garbage, tripe, drivel, bull, guff, bunk, bosh, eyewash, piffle, phooey, hooey, malarkey, hokum, twaddle, gobbledygook, codswallop, flapdoodle, hot air;
datedbunkum, tommyrot;
antonyms: (good) sense
used to show strong disagreement.
exclamation: nonsense
"“Nonsense! No one can do that.”"
denoting verse or other writing intended to be amusing by virtue of its absurd or whimsical language.
modifier noun: nonsense
"nonsense poetry"
foolish or unacceptable behavior.
"put a stop to that nonsense, will you?"
synonyms: mischief, naughtiness, bad behavior, misbehavior, misconduct, misdemeanor; More
#9PT_Piranha(Topic Creator)Posted 2/12/2014 1:05:49 PM
If the game is getting revenge for itself and Kojima named it after that, I'm surprised MGS4 wasn't named, Metal Gear Solid 4: Here's your lousy sequel, now leave me alone!
---
#10PhaildPosted 2/12/2014 2:35:46 PM
AtumReign posted...
The Rogue Cobra posted...
Here you go:

HOLY **** LOTS OF ALPHABET

"Different cultures use English in different ways" -Kevin Washington
---
Current rank: Cpl. / Exp. required for promotion: 7 days
Caballeros.