wtf!? Why is this game so hard?

#1synister666Posted 2/11/2014 2:59:37 PM
I just started and I'm only at the part where you fight the robotic panther thing with the chainsaw tail. I keep dying over and over. This just seems stupidly hard. Even fighting a mob of regular enemies gets me killed. Do I need to put this on easy? What am I missing here?
---
PSN: AstralSerpent
#2alienfetucinePosted 2/11/2014 3:14:30 PM
Learn to parry. That's not a "stop sucking" thing, parrying is a really basic part of the game and Raiden's primary form of defense. Blade Wolf is there basically to teach you to parry and use lock-on.

Parrying is pushing the left stick towards the enemy that's attacking and hitting the light attack button (square on PS3). The stick must be an independent motion; if you're already running at the enemy as they attack and hit square, you'll just use a light attack instead of parrying. You also have to input another parry for each hit in an enemy combo, you can't just do it once.

Parrying right before an enemy attack lands lets Raiden use a powerful counter-attack, but you should learn normal parrying before worrying about getting the timing for that.

Also, if you haven't already, go into the Customization menu (it's accessible from the Codec screen), go down to Skills, and buy Aerial Parry and Defensive Offense. They're the cheapest items in the store but really important. Aerial Parry lets you parry and mid-air, which is generally useful and really good in high-level play, but Defensive Offense is the dodge move, and obviously vital even if you can parry 95% of the attacks in the game.
---
And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
#3synister666(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2014 3:26:48 PM
Honestly I just put it on easy with the auto direction parry on. The regular parry is too hard to time especially when the boss is jumping everywhere and the camera is going all over the place. They really don't ease you into this at all.
---
PSN: AstralSerpent
#4A_Nonny_MoosePosted 2/11/2014 4:06:42 PM
You should really learn to parry properly. It will be a lot more satisfying.

If you have trouble it helps to press square first. That's how I first got my head around it. When you see the red flash that means an attack is coming, press square and move the stick towards the attack.
---
http://i.imgur.com/QB2km.png
#5obliviondollPosted 2/11/2014 8:29:47 PM
There's ONE trick to parrying that the game doesn't explain properly.

Don't HOLD the stick in the direction you're parrying. Push it in the direction AS you're trying to parry.

This means for sequential attacks, you have to be repeatedly flicking the left stick towards the enemy to keep blocking their attacks. The timing and angle required are both pretty forgiving, so you can afford a fair amount of sloppiness and still avoid damage.

Parrying is a core system in the game, and while not particularly well explained by the tutorials, it's not hard once you figure it out.
---
"I want my meals to think for myself"
#6R-TacoPosted 2/11/2014 9:35:25 PM
The game isn't that hard at all once you understand it.

Attack enemies. If they flash red, parry (Light Attack + Tap the left stick in that enemy's direction). If they flash yellow, dodge (Light Attack + Jump in any direction).

Have you been using Zandatsu? If not, you definitely should.

ZANDATSU 101:
When you enter Blade Mode, nearby enemies will have little red targets somewhere on their bodies. Slice through this target while in Blade Mode, then grab with Circle/B (depending on what system you're playing on) to fully restore your health and energy. This is Zandatsu.

Standard cyborgs can be Zandatsu'd at any time, but most enemies have to be damaged enough first (they'll turn blue at that point). Dwarf Gekkos (the little three-armed robots) can't be Zandatsu'd, but they drop healing items when killed.
#7PhaildPosted 2/12/2014 7:07:01 AM(edited)
Because the game is a descendant of the gameplay formula created by Hideyaki Kamiya and Shinji Mikami. You learn to play the game by its rules, or the game will play you.
---
Current rank: Cpl. / Exp. required for promotion: 7 days
Caballeros.
#8F0XholePosted 2/12/2014 7:32:34 AM
I have always pretty well enjoyed the hack n' slash genre, going so far as to best the hardest difficulties in games like Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden, and God of War. This game plays differently than all of them. It's not that it is harder - - Ninja Gaiden is the hardest by far - - but the gameplay style is completely different.

Parrying is a major part, as other have said. This is an offensively-oriented game, so the usefulness of sitting back and blocking or dodging is limited. The game, and the parry mechanic, are all designed to keep propelling the action forward. No fancy dodging to get a good position. No sitting back and blocking waiting for an opening. The game is designed for you to bust through enemy defenses and to be aggressive. And the parry is quite literally attacking the enemy's attack, in order to keep attacking.

It took me a while to "get" the gameplay style, but play it with offense in mind. You don't have to strategically maneuver and wait for an opening - - you make the opening. That's not to say strategy doesn't come into play in some circumstances, notably on higher difficulties, but if you are playing this game like a NG or DMC, then you are playing it wrong.

That isn't meant to be a criticism. I just know that, for myself and others, a simple mindset change was needed in order to understand the game. Less defense, more offense. Sometimes it's as simple as that. The game plays differently than any other in the genre, and once you get how to play it, it is actually one of the easier HnS games out there.
#91anthonygamer1Posted 2/12/2014 10:30:48 AM
If you can't beat the first boss in File R-01, you need to pack it up. This guy is going to get bodied by Monsoon. Even the GRAD will lay waste to him.
#10F0XholePosted 2/12/2014 10:56:50 AM
1anthonygamer1 posted...
If you can't beat the first boss in File R-01, you need to pack it up. This guy is going to get bodied by Monsoon. Even the GRAD will lay waste to him.

I don't agree with this. The Bladewolf fight isn't easy at first. He's fast and nimble, and there aren't many opportunities to attack. It's basically a gauntlet of "learn parry or die" that preps you for the rest of the game. Yeah, Monsoon is a helluva lot harder, but by that point you should be more familiar with the way the game handles.