Awesome game (spoilers)

#1midsizelebowskiPosted 2/16/2014 4:42:18 PM
Just finished my first run and loved it. It was a cool new take on the genre to make parry a much more integral part of general combat. It just made you feel like you were always on the offensive, a relentless attack style that was perfect for Raiden's character. I liked the story a lot too, apart from a few nitpicks. Too bad I've never played any of the other MGS games though, because their plots have pretty much been spoiled for me now, oh well.

A few things I would've changed/didn't like:
--Armstrong's cartoonishly absurd speech when he first meets Raiden in the final chapter.
--The debris sequence of the Armstrong battle. It took me a while to realize I needed to use left stick to adjust the camera in addition to adjusting blade angle with right stick.
--Blade mode controls would've been much better if R1 and R2 were the slash buttons, and slash due to right stick release could be toggled off in the options. Then you could control the camera, the blade angle, and slash very easily all at once. With the controls as is, it's awkward to slash while controlling both sticks, and I find slashes go off sometimes with me wanting them to or at skewed angles when I set them off with right stick.

Overall great game though. Ridiculously awesome action and action movie sequences, I'll be recommending this to everyone.
---
GT - Nigel Tuffnel11
#2alienfetucinePosted 2/16/2014 5:29:58 PM
To your third point: if you didn't know, there's a few different preset control schemes you can swap to, one of which makes the Blade Mode camera controlled by the right stick and the slash controlled by the left. That lets you use the face buttons to do a more controlled slash.

Have you already played the DLC campaigns? Blade Wolf's is kind of eh, but Sam's is really good (and also pretty hard, though that's partly because he plays totally different from Raiden). I think they came bundled in the PC version, but they've been free on PSN for a while, dunno if they changed that since I grabbed them.

Revengeance doesn't really have many spoilers for the main series, by the way. The only one I'd say is significantly spoiled is 4. 1, 3, and the upcoming 5 have basically nothing to do with Rising, and 2 is only connected by having Raiden as the main character (though Armstrong has a bunch of references to the final boss of that game, they're more nods than serious plot points).
---
And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
#3A_Nonny_MoosePosted 2/16/2014 7:08:44 PM
I use right stick for camera and left stick for angle in Blade Mode. That way I can line up a cut with both sticks, keep my thumb on the left stick to hold the angle, and press square the slash.
---
http://i.imgur.com/QB2km.png
#4MurphysGhostPosted 2/16/2014 7:36:46 PM
Glad you liked it TC. My favorite new game in a loooong time. One of the few games you can just play over and over and you'll always have fun and feel like you can try to do things a little differently than last time.
---
"The act of treachery is an art, but the traitor himself is a piece of ****." - Mike Tyson
#5midsizelebowski(Topic Creator)Posted 2/17/2014 1:43:29 PM
Very glad to hear that 4 is the only game that's really spoiled by this one. I've been meaning to get around to this series for a while, and I'm sure 4 would still be awesome even if I know some plot details.

I actually played MGS1 a long time ago. I don't remember much about the plot other than the conflict and relationship between Solid and Liquid, because damn that was well done.

I've got both DLC but am playing through very hard right now, revengeance probably next. It's extremely rare for me to play through any game more than once, so even though this one's short, the fact that I'm planning a 3rd playthrough really speaks to its quality. DLC after that.

Thanks for the suggestions for blade mode, I tried configuration D but didn't really like it. Part of it was that I was used to the default setup, but the camera angle also feels like the more important input to control most of the time, so I like having that on left stick. I do still think that having slashes on R1 and R2 would make it a lot better--really wish more developers would allow custom remapping.
---
GT - Nigel Tuffnel11
#6MurphysGhostPosted 2/17/2014 8:25:16 PM
midsizelebowski posted...

I've got both DLC but am playing through very hard right now, revengeance probably next. It's extremely rare for me to play through any game more than once, so even though this one's short, the fact that I'm planning a 3rd playthrough really speaks to its quality. DLC after that.

The thing about Rising, is that A) at base level it's simply fun to play, and flexible enough to play how you like a lot of the time and B) it brings a lot of fresh stuff to the table when it comes to the action / hack n slash genre.

As you mention, making the parry so integral to the moveset is great, and playing games where you can simply hold a block button to block a whole combo seems rather boring after playing MGR and having to actively block Monsoon or Sam's combos, for instance.

The soundtrack itself and the way it was implemented in the boss fights, both very fresh and exciting.

The way sneaking, stealth killing and all-out assaults are all tools in your arsenal that can (at various points, not always) be mixed in at your discretion is great. Most games that have tried this (like Assassin's Creed, I guess would be an example) veer much more towards stealth, with combat as a last resort. To see a real action game like MGR do it, and do it pretty well, is exciting IMO.

And back to my first point, this game can be tailored to your taste to a great extent. You're not penalized for using game-breaking wigs and unlockable weapons- so if you want to make the harder modes a joke, you can. If you want to play stealthy, you can avoid a LOT of fights. If you want to fight everything, go for it. Want to do a Very Hard mode No Upgrade Run for a challenge? It's totally possible to do so. You can beat the game without really knowing much about the deeper aspects of the mechanics- but if you want to explore all the possibilities, there are a LOT of small details to know about how the game works. Etc.

Anyway, obviously I'm a huge fan of the game and I recommend to anyone that'll listen, it's just cool to see someone else discovering the game and appreciating these aspects of it. Wish you luck on your further runs, make sure to post back with your progress, etc. :)
---
"The act of treachery is an art, but the traitor himself is a piece of ****." - Mike Tyson
#7midsizelebowski(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2014 5:22:52 PM
Oh man, you're right about the soundtrack. I don't even like this kind of music usually, but Rising's musical style fits it perfectly, and it was honestly some of the best music I've ever heard in a game.

I'm still getting into the variety aspect of combat, since I pretty much only used the HF blade during my hard playthrough, and I'm just starting to experiment with all the other weapons. The stealth is very well done--I'm not generally a fan of stealth in games (which is the main reason I haven't gotten around to playing the other games in the series yet), but here it's strategic, fun, and I like that it's not required, just helpful. The VR missions are a great showcase for gameplay and combat variety. Those have been fun and I like that the hardest ones are much more challenging than the main game.

Where does this fit in to everyone's favorite action games of all time list? Mine goes:

1) Bayonetta
2) DMC3
3) Revengeance
4) DMC1
5) Ninja Gaiden Sigma

I like Bayonetta and Revengeance for similar reasons: they both introduce innovations to the standard action game format that are ridiculously fun. Revengeance has parry, while Bayonetta had witch time dodge. Platinum Games are wizard geniuses man, next game for me is definitely gonna be Vanquish.
---
GT - Nigel Tuffnel11
#8A_Nonny_MoosePosted 2/19/2014 3:04:09 AM
Ninja Gaiden and this are my favourites. They're the only ones where I can tackle the higher difficulties. Games with technical combo-driven gameplay are much harder for me, and I don't enjoy them as much (athough I can still have fun with them on Normal).
---
http://i.imgur.com/QB2km.png
#9rice_noodlesPosted 2/19/2014 12:30:16 PM
Revengeance didn't exactly introduce parry. Games like DMC1, NG1, Bayo have them too, and probably lots of older ones that I can't recall. Though MGR is probably one of the few that is built heavily around the parrying mechanic.
#10warrenmatsPosted 2/19/2014 2:56:23 PM
rice_noodles posted...
Revengeance didn't exactly introduce parry. Games like DMC1, NG1, Bayo have them too, and probably lots of older ones that I can't recall. Though MGR is probably one of the few that is built heavily around the parrying mechanic.

DMC1 had parry?
---
3DS friendcode: 1650-1780-5286