hey guys ^^ lets change the metal gear timeline! (spoilers!)

#1MetalGearDogmaPosted 4/22/2014 11:59:09 AM
lets say you have the power to change exactly ONE thing in the metal gear universe.

what would you do?
what would be the consequence?
would you make it better? or worse?

i hope to read some great storys ^^
this board is full of intelligent and kreative people.
^^
---
Dragons Dogma Pawn: Yamato, Lvl 200, Strider (Dark Arisen)
PSN: FF7_Lissy http://cyborgarisen.deviantart.com/gallery/ Girl Gamer, dattebayo!
#2F0XholePosted 4/22/2014 2:52:21 PM
MGS4 SPOILERS!!!

Meryl + Johnny.
Holy hell, did I hate that. In fact, Meryl should have died in Act 3, which prompted Johnny to get his **** together.

Actually, MGS4 as a whole would be revamped. The basic concepts are pretty solid (no pun intended), but the sub-plots are nauseating.
#3SnakePosted 4/22/2014 4:46:44 PM
Liquid's arm. If they wanted to bring Liquid back they already had an established way to do so. Just put him in an exoskeleton like Gray Fox.

I know you said one but that and Raiden as a main character and the whole S3 direction. If they wanted Raiden as a character they should have used him as a boss first up who then becomes your ally.
---
Are you not....entertained!?
#4MurphysGhostPosted 4/22/2014 6:26:07 PM
One thing, eh?

Instead of the Patriots being nothing more than out-of-control A.I.s by the time MGS4 rolled around, I wish there were actually people behind it.

I loved MGS2 but always figured the whole "What the hell?" moment with the list of names at the end was just a red herring, misinformation planted in the AI core to protect the real Patriots. The Patriots could have had crazy AI technology that assumed it was in control of everything and had to dictate history to humanity just as was presented in MGS2, but there should have been real villains BEHIND those AIs thinking, "Aw, the AI thinks it's actually the boss. Cute."

And then of course, MGS4 would have been about finding and taking those villains down, instead of being about a bunch of muddled NANOMACHINES SON bullcrap. :P
---
"The act of treachery is an art, but the traitor himself is a piece of ****." - Mike Tyson
#5MetalGearDogma(Topic Creator)Posted 4/23/2014 8:23:47 AM
F0Xhole posted...
MGS4 SPOILERS!!!

Meryl + Johnny.
Holy hell, did I hate that. In fact, Meryl should have died in Act 3, which prompted Johnny to get his **** together.

Actually, MGS4 as a whole would be revamped. The basic concepts are pretty solid (no pun intended), but the sub-plots are nauseating.

what does everyone has agains johnny and meryl?
i really really loved every scene with them ^^

like otacon said.
love can exist on the battlefield ^^
---
Dragons Dogma Pawn: Yamato, Lvl 200, Strider (Dark Arisen)
PSN: FF7_Lissy http://cyborgarisen.deviantart.com/gallery/ Girl Gamer, dattebayo!
#6F0XholePosted 4/23/2014 10:26:11 AM
Because they took a joke character and made him an important part of the story. Meryl hates him for over half of the story, is indifferent towards him for 40% of the second half, and then falls in love in the middle of a firefight. All the while, Snake's degenerating body is being baked from the inside out, Raiden is fighting high-tech supersoldiers with his teeth, Mei Ling and Otacon are facing off against an over-powered army complete with dozens of upgraded Ray units in a fossil of a warship, and Liquid is holding the world hostage. And Johnny has the gall to say that he has loved her since he held her prisoner in an Alaskan prison, has compromised the Rat Patrol team and Snake's mission multiple times through sheer ignorance, stupidity, or cowardice, and has literally **** all over everything. This revelation sparks a complete turnaround in Meryl, who feels the need to play alpha male while discussing their undying love for each other.. while fighting wave after wave of the aforementioned high-tech supersoldiers who do little but run face-first into bullets. This new-found love also apparently syncs them in a way that even SOP couldn't, reloading for each other and tactically (apparently) rolling around on top of each other, despite the fact that Johnny has been nothing but an incompetent boob for the past 15 years.

Ah, sorry, had to rant on that. It just came out of nowhere. It added nothing to the plot, and battlefield love is fleeting, as seen through both Snake and Otacon's past in the situation.

But hey, just my 2 cents on the subject. MGS4 has some frequent cringe-worthy moments, but I'm embarrassed to be seen playing through those cutscenes.
#7AtumReignPosted 4/23/2014 8:12:11 PM
Snakes accelerated aging. It's possibly the dumbest thing they ever decided to do in the Metal Gear universe. If you want to move on and explore other characters that's fine. It doesn't mean you have to kill off the primary protagonist. Especially when they're probably going to find some convoluted way to bring him back sometime in the future. It just seems pointless.
#8SnakePosted 4/23/2014 8:52:45 PM
F0Xhole posted...
Because they took a joke character and made him an important part of the story. Meryl hates him for over half of the story, is indifferent towards him for 40% of the second half, and then falls in love in the middle of a firefight. All the while, Snake's degenerating body is being baked from the inside out, Raiden is fighting high-tech supersoldiers with his teeth, Mei Ling and Otacon are facing off against an over-powered army complete with dozens of upgraded Ray units in a fossil of a warship, and Liquid is holding the world hostage. And Johnny has the gall to say that he has loved her since he held her prisoner in an Alaskan prison, has compromised the Rat Patrol team and Snake's mission multiple times through sheer ignorance, stupidity, or cowardice, and has literally **** all over everything. This revelation sparks a complete turnaround in Meryl, who feels the need to play alpha male while discussing their undying love for each other.. while fighting wave after wave of the aforementioned high-tech supersoldiers who do little but run face-first into bullets. This new-found love also apparently syncs them in a way that even SOP couldn't, reloading for each other and tactically (apparently) rolling around on top of each other, despite the fact that Johnny has been nothing but an incompetent boob for the past 15 years.

Ah, sorry, had to rant on that. It just came out of nowhere. It added nothing to the plot, and battlefield love is fleeting, as seen through both Snake and Otacon's past in the situation.

But hey, just my 2 cents on the subject. MGS4 has some frequent cringe-worthy moments, but I'm embarrassed to be seen playing through those cutscenes.

I agree with you but after several playthroughs of that scene, I think what they were trying to convey is that they both thought they were going to die right then and there and so as a way to deal with their fate they both gave into their fear and went for broke pledging commitment to each other. The problem was the way it was written made it come off wrong, too out of nowhere and incredibly silly.

David Hayter had a much better idea of having Meryl get back with Snake at the end and going off to spend the rest of his days together. It would have been a great throwback to the ending of MGS1.
---
Are you not....entertained!?
#9PT_PiranhaPosted 4/25/2014 6:37:41 AM
Change one thing... Hmm...

That is a tough one. Honestly couldn't say. MGS4 had its problems, but I give it a pass for having to deal with cleaning up MGS2's loose ends and being intended as a series conclusion (at the time of its writing).

I guess if I could be selfish, I'd give Ground Zeroes a brighter ending. But then that'd throw off Phantom Pain and the rest of the series. I was frankly never interested in seeing Big Boss make the final change into a villain, that type of plot brings me down. I preferred leaving it up to imagination and the ambiguity of a 20-year time skip.
---
You're important to somebody. They care about you.
<<Real men set to 10 posts per page>>
#10RaengPosted 4/25/2014 9:04:52 AM
PT_Piranha posted...
I guess if I could be selfish, I'd give Ground Zeroes a brighter ending. But then that'd throw off Phantom Pain and the rest of the series. I was frankly never interested in seeing Big Boss make the final change into a villain, that type of plot brings me down. I preferred leaving it up to imagination and the ambiguity of a 20-year time skip.

I really want to play MGS5 gameplaywise, but I always liked the 'what happened?' part of Big Boss. Don't like that they're explaining it, that said they are stuck in prequel land so they might as well roll with it.

If I had to change one thing, I'd be the technology of the series. I like what I see in MGS3's tech, it's very time-based. But Ground Zeroes has holographic maps in what? The 70s?
Plotwise I'd change the ending of MGS4. I really dislike a certain main character being alive all of a sudden near the end. Never made any sense to me.
---
PSN: Royta15
www.youtube.com/royta15