In a sequel, should Fuel Cells do more? (spoilers possible)

#1MurphysGhostPosted 6/3/2014 8:09:57 PM(edited)
Was thinking about this as an off-shoot from the discussion on whether MP could work with Rising's combat system...

In a sequel, would you like to see the Fuel Cells enable more than just the Blade Mode time dilation + free cutting? (And also Ripper Mode, I suppose.)

Was thinking of Vanquish, how your ARS meter allows you to slow down as well as go fast. What about adding this to Rising? Having a super-speed ability (possibly allowing wall-running / double jumping as well?) that drains Fuel but increases your movement and swing speed dramatically?

In combat this would function as the opposite of Blade Mode, enabling brute force as opposed to great precision, and could be used against certain enemies or stages of enemies. Like, enter high speed mode to rip off a combo against a shield-carrying enemy, thus destroying their shield. And THEN enter Blade Mode and slice them to ribbons + grab their Gatorade!

Other ideas?

Edit: Also, I realize this sounds SORT OF similar to Ripper Mode, but what I'm picturing is a lot less game-breaking and more balanced. I'd picture it using Fuel a lot less rapidly than Ripper does.

Also... should Ripper mode even be in a sequel?
---
"The act of treachery is an art, but the traitor himself is a piece of ****." - Mike Tyson
#2RaengPosted 6/3/2014 9:06:38 PM
Meter definitly needs to see more use other then the near infinite string of Zandatsu it is now.

My take is that Ripper (the persona) is now constantly 'active' in the sequel and Raiden now uses Taunt like Sam. So I'll ignore that mode.
Mostly I'd want it to be more a management thing like you mentioned in Vanquish. Though sometimes horrible in it's design, Ninja Gaiden Razor's Edge had a nice concept for Meter Management. You could:
* Use it to cast spells that deals massive damage, cost full bar
* Use parts of it to heal yourself
* Use parts of it to teleport counter an attack, ANY attack

You were always watching your meter in high level play just like in Vanquish. What Fuel needs is to have more then one function tied to it, at least more then 3 each with their own function and uses.
For instance I'd like to see:
* Blade Mode
* a super strong slash ala the original QuickDraw that drains meter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQhC4A6NCDo
* a defensive move, like a very very fast dodge or something.
* perhaps stealth camo?

All should cost plenty of fuel and imo MGR2 should take a nod from Killer is Dead and offer up multiple rewards for Zandatsu. For instance when you open them up you get an option.
X = heal 50% health
[ ] = gain +20% BP
/\ = enemy explodes, dealing area damage
O = regenerate 50% fuel

One could even add that on REV your fuel is constantly being drained, meaning you'll REALLY be forced to stay on the offensive. And if your fuel reaches yellow/red you might do less damage or something (kind of like ARS in Vanquish where you're more vulnerable if you run out).

Good topic, like it!

(also with me replaying Ninja Gaiden like mad, Rising REALLY NEEDS a wallrun.)
---
PSN: Royta15
www.youtube.com/royta15
#3AtumReignPosted 6/4/2014 3:29:36 PM
The meter absolutely needs an expansion. I cannot imagine they won't make it do more in a sequel. The Idea of using it to "power up" your abilities is a great start. You could use it to increase your speed (both attack and movement), Power, and other abilities. Perhaps Stealth Camo but depending on how that's implemented it could make the game too easy. I think if it drained the bar very very quickly it could work. Allowing you to quickly get the drop on an enemy unseen. That is assuming they do something great with the stealth mechanics that make a stealth playstyle a viable approach to any given situation.

They should definitely improve the platforming aspects of the game, which could open up all kinds of possibilities for using the meter to move around the environment. Imagine running up a wall and across a ceiling until you're over an enemies head and dropping down for a sweet aerial stealth kill. Perhaps it could enhance ninja run as well so you could not just deflect bullets but say, all attacks. maybe even reflect some of them back.

Just some of my ideas. I welcome any criticism of them.
#4Mr_Big_BossPosted 6/4/2014 4:47:03 PM
In Bayonetta. You used up your magic meter to execute special moves called torture attacks on enemies that either killed them or dealt massive damage. I could see Raiden pulling off some fancy attacks too.
---
the end of one nightmare, prelude to the another...
#5Catalix_proPosted 6/4/2014 4:56:49 PM(edited)
Really like the idea of managing meter consumption while using unique abilities. It could add a decent amount of variety to combat.

Like, I'd love to be able to do a move similar to Solidus' rocket boost in MGS2 (even the flame trails!):
http://i.imgur.com/9dVM4cP.gif

I can imagine it working like this: Tap Ninja Run + O for short quick bursts in any direction, or hold down the buttons for full extended control like the boost-slide in Vanquish. Naturally it would deplete your meter pretty quickly.
---
Hi-fiving a million angels!
#6prince_nagashPosted 6/9/2014 7:42:19 AM
This game is probably the best beta on the planet. It was made from scratch in probably one of the shortest development windows for a franchise of this status.

That said, knowing that P+ knows so much about how to use a "DT" style bar for various abilities, they probably had to hold back a lot for this game due to limited dev time.
#7MurphysGhost(Topic Creator)Posted 6/14/2014 7:57:51 PM
Thanks for all the great ideas so far!

I have plenty to respond to but no time, just posting to avoid the topic getting locked before I get back to it. :P

Anyway, keep it coming!
---
"The act of treachery is an art, but the traitor himself is a piece of ****." - Mike Tyson
#8BombermanGoldPosted 6/16/2014 9:53:19 AM
They need to bring back the "I am the Lightning" attack he used in MGS4.
---
"I will be your superhero!!!"
Xbox GT & PSN ID: BombermanGOLD
#9F0XholePosted 6/16/2014 11:41:38 AM
Raeng posted...
One could even add that on REV your fuel is constantly being drained, meaning you'll REALLY be forced to stay on the offensive. And if your fuel reaches yellow/red you might do less damage or something (kind of like ARS in Vanquish where you're more vulnerable if you run out).

I'd be pretty cool with this, just so long as it doesn't drain:

1) outside of fights. Seriously, I spent quite a bit of time just having fun and screwing around the first time through. Granted, that wasn't on REV, but still. No one likes helplessly draining health for no reason. In battle, sure. His body consumes them to fight. Just walking about? Let the gauge be.

2) completely to your death. Argh, that sucks so bad. Standing there and dying because of some crappy artificially-imposed difficulty. Drain to yellow. Even red. But keep me alive.

Just my thoughts on that.
#10MurphysGhost(Topic Creator)Posted 7/1/2014 2:43:36 PM
OK, one more bump!

Incoming large post later tonight!
---