The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

Seriously with the Elven Armor?

#1Poundx2Posted 2/2/2011 8:03:15 AM

You can't use a bow while wearing elven armor? Armor made by elves? Elves who are/were notorious archers? I would really love to hear the the reasoning behind this decission.

#2megaexePosted 2/2/2011 8:06:37 AM
Not all Elves are master woodsmen? While the forest loving, master archer Elf is a classic Fantasy stereotype sometimes they aren't.

This may be a world where they do not conform to the stereotype.
---
I forgot this is gamefaqs... not acting like a jackass is a bannable offense.
#3Poundx2(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2011 9:11:56 AM

megaexe posted...
Not all Elves are master woodsmen? While the forest loving, master archer Elf is a classic Fantasy stereotype sometimes they aren't.

This may be a world where they do not conform to the stereotype.
---
I forgot this is gamefaqs... not acting like a jackass is a bannable offense.

Fair enough, but if you're going to go to all the trouble of re-writing the archtype to fit your worlds mythos, why still call them elves? You've already made something new in all but name, why not go the extra yard?

Ah well, it semantics, I know. It was just kind of a let down to get this decent looking light-med armor for my archer build only to find out that wearing it makes me forget how to use a bow.

#4ErevilePosted 2/2/2011 9:32:43 AM
Is the next topic going to be crying about how orcs are different than Tolkien designed them?
---
The thing that really separates man from beast is our penchant for death. No other species strives so fervently to efficiently slay its fellows.
PSN: Khoron
#5jsquad4136Posted 2/2/2011 10:19:51 AM
Erevile........TC has a point smartass. Too bad your 'argument' has no leg to stand on. Why? Elves have been known to do archery in all sorts of literature besides Tolkien's works. Wishing the orcs were similar to Tolkien's version has NOTHING to do with the topic at hand. Be a little more open minded to what's being posted before trying to act 'smart'.

Actually they seem to expand the capabilities of orcs. They are good with magic as well which isn't something you see that often. If anything they LOWERED what elves can do by taking out the archery. Why would they do that? It's not a 'stereotype' for elves to be good at archery.
---
How do you tell if somebody is a zombie? Shoot them in the head! Because there is no other way to kill a zombie!
#6Poundx2(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2011 10:48:58 AM

Erevile posted...
Is the next topic going to be crying about how orcs are different than Tolkien designed them?
---
The thing that really separates man from beast is our penchant for death. No other species strives so fervently to efficiently slay its fellows.

Actually, it was going to be a crude observation on how dwarven armor fits a fully grown human without modifications. Stay tuned.

#7Poundx2(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2011 10:53:01 AM

jsquad4136 posted...
Erevile........TC has a point smartass. Too bad your 'argument' has no leg to stand on. Why? Elves have been known to do archery in all sorts of literature besides Tolkien's works. Wishing the orcs were similar to Tolkien's version has NOTHING to do with the topic at hand. Be a little more open minded to what's being posted before trying to act 'smart'.

Actually they seem to expand the capabilities of orcs. They are good with magic as well which isn't something you see that often. If anything they LOWERED what elves can do by taking out the archery. Why would they do that? It's not a 'stereotype' for elves to be good at archery.
---
How do you tell if somebody is a zombie? Shoot them in the head! Because there is no other way to kill a zombie!

I like how they took the barbarian out of the orc, but left a touch of the brute. Cultered and educated, but still quick to draw weapons.

#8ErevilePosted 2/2/2011 12:35:26 PM
@ jsquad4136

How does my "argument" not have a leg to stand on? Any fantasy buff will tell you that Tolkien set the bar. Much of the High Fantasy of today stems from Tolkien's works. The standard for elves, orcs, dwarves, hobbits, etc was set a long time ago.

If anything they LOWERED what elves can do by taking out the archery

Complete and utter bull. How did they "take out" archery? Because that Elven Armor you find doesn't allow the use of a bow? Maybe you're being told to man up and kill something before it gets a chance to fight back. That's kind of the point of archery.
Elves, being master archers, would have little to no use for armor, right? They'd only use armor in melee situations where a blade would be more effective than a bow.

Looks like the elves got their own little boost of their "not-a-stereotype" stereotype.
---