PC Controls

#1CandiMan88Posted 7/1/2011 7:58:50 PM
Is there any alternative ways to control this game other than the WASD controls? I'm fine with the mouse but using the letter keys seems really awkward to me. Is there a type of joystick or something to control movements?
---
GT: iLuvBlackGirlz
#2IcyToastersPosted 7/1/2011 8:27:06 PM

You could, in theory (we can't know for sure until we see someone change the keys around in a Battlefield 3 menu, but it's probably a given that you can re-bind them).

There's not really any reason to though.

WASD isn't hard to get used to. It's kind of like the position your hand goes back to automatically, then as you get better at the game (whatever game you may be starting to use WASD with), you slowly know where each button is.

A joystick is fine for aircraft, but you may run into some trouble when trying to use it for infantry, transport, armour, boats and aircraft.

#3IcyToastersPosted 7/1/2011 8:30:07 PM

Sorry for double post.

Some people seem to use the arrow keys for movement. You'd need to re-bind pretty much every control so that you're not reaching across the keyboard all the time. Using the arrow keys for movement seems a bit cramped to me.

You could also use a gamepad (Xbox 360 controller or something else), but then you'd run into trouble with aiming speed and accuracy. There'll probably be gamepad layouts built into the game (Support is confirmed I do beleive).

#4CandiMan88(Topic Creator)Posted 7/1/2011 11:05:24 PM
It's just flat out uncomfortable for me. The gamepad will probably be my best bet, but I really don't wanna put myself at more of a disadvantage than I already am. I guess I'll just have to test it out. Thanks.
---
GT: iLuvBlackGirlz
#5txraider18Posted 7/1/2011 11:29:03 PM
CandiMan88 posted...
It's just flat out uncomfortable for me. The gamepad will probably be my best bet, but I really don't wanna put myself at more of a disadvantage than I already am. I guess I'll just have to test it out. Thanks.

You're kinda like me....I like the PC advantages as far as graphics, player count, bigger maps and all that but I am just not as good.

My Score per minute, K/D ratio and overall effectiveness is so much higher on consoles plus I work all day on a computer so I'm not sure how much I would honestly play it when I got home other than weekends.

My suggestion is play the open betas for PC and whatever console you have and make a determination. If they feel similar and are scaled properly, I can live without the added graphics for convinience and comfort (not sitting a computer chair).

Anyway, i didn't mean to turn this into a rant but DICE has been good about giving you flexibility to play how you want and are oding even more of that in this one so you should be able to figure out new key bindings or a gamepad
#6steker16Posted 7/2/2011 5:24:28 AM
keep it as WASD. get stomped for a few days as you get used to it. then realize you were actually just being a little girl and its not that bad. then proceed to play like a normal human being
---
nomnomnom
#7biolizardfanPosted 7/2/2011 8:24:32 AM
You can use a USB joystick or 360 controller for movement and aim with the mouse, but you won't have access to the buttons near WASD like Q, E, Z, etc., so you will be at a disadvantage still
---
_foolmo_
'so I can potentially win the guru without getting the final right?' - BlAcK TuRtLe
#8DrStrangelove05Posted 7/2/2011 8:52:28 AM

TC, go with this:

http://www.amazon.com/FragFX-Wireless-PS3-PC-MAC-mousepad/dp/B0047IOXAO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1308982358&sr=8-1

Kinda pricey, but best of both worlds imo.

#9txraider18Posted 7/2/2011 8:53:40 AM
steker16 posted...
keep it as WASD. get stomped for a few days as you get used to it. then realize you were actually just being a little girl and its not that bad. then proceed to play like a normal human being

someone hasn't realized that the world doesn't have the same opinions as him...one day young grasshopper
#10RubberduckeePosted 7/2/2011 9:37:55 AM
I suggest picking up a Playstation Move Navigation controller. Analog movement, and it has enough buttons on it for all the proper key commands. It's what I use and I work wonders with it :)

You can pick one up used for about $20. You may need a mouse that has a few extra buttons on it to make up for a few missing buttons (depending on your preference), but it's well worth the investment, in my opinion. Made the transition from console to computer so much smoother :D
---
Turn off your caps lock and try typing your message again.