Is Origin a rootkit?

#1MobiusUnoDosPosted 10/10/2011 1:51:58 PM
Found this thread:

http://forum.sa-mp.com/showthread.php?p=1436882

Basically they're saying it's a "ring0" rootkit, meaning it operates at the highest level and can get access to whatever it wants. And the only way to get rid of it is a reformat.

Is there any truth to this? Wouldn't a company be obligated to say that their software includes a rootkit?
---
"Ours is where we tread."
#2carfoGAMEFAQPosted 10/10/2011 2:04:27 PM
that guy is an idiot. he is like a conspiracy theorist. basically origin re-wrote their tos to make it so you can't sue them for a lot of money, but you can write to them in 30 days to nullify that part of the tos. the tos doesn't remotely say anything about letting origin spy on your computer to see your bank account information and selling your information to people (lol). Blizzard's world of warcraft has a more intrusive program that is intended to search for cheats but can also reveal some person information (which they say they won't share with anyone unless it's a threat) but a LOT more people have wow accounts than Origin.
#3giocarePosted 10/10/2011 2:05:28 PM
There was a thread a couple weeks ago where someone discovered Origin only scans your program files folder, and even then there are ways to block it.
#4MobiusUnoDos(Topic Creator)Posted 10/10/2011 2:07:57 PM
Does uninstalling Origin totally rid your computer of it?
---
"Ours is where we tread."
#5R0N1N187Posted 10/10/2011 2:16:48 PM
That doesn't even look like a legit website.
---
Intel i5 2500K ++ MSI P67A-G43 ++ Radeon 6870 ++ G.Skill 8GB RAM ++ Antec 620C ++ 1TB Samsung HDD ++ Cooler Master 212 Plus ++ Windows 7
#6illuminatirexxPosted 10/10/2011 2:30:57 PM
sandboxie limits its access...
#7StankymooPosted 10/10/2011 2:31:10 PM
If the game includes a program to scan your program folder I'm going to include a .txt file in the installation file named "hacks." The content of the .txt file will read:

Suck my bowels, EA.
---
What do you mean Facebook's not a game? Why can I play it on my 360 then?
#8johnny_payPosted 10/10/2011 7:09:06 PM
ahhh SAMP i remember cheating on that back in the day... such good memories. but anyway not its not a rootkit as its only meant to scan your program files and program data folder and then it only does that to find other registered EA games you own and you have installed. a good example of this is i own ME2 its registered on origins but i didnt download it with origins i installed by disk but it shows up and can be launched in origins
#9eric_neo3Posted 10/10/2011 9:50:22 PM
From what I've seen of it and read it's spyware without a doubt and has highest level access of super admin(if you don't know what it means google it, basically means an admin cannot override it). As far as acting as a rootkit I don't know as I am not willing to install "origin" on my PC.

Origin does not allow the user to opt out, see what info is being sent or to authorize what would be allowed to be sent or denied to be sent to EA and that's illegal enough for me to avoid it. Which is why steam is still vastly better, while steam does collect info it only collects install/hardware/ logs and it asks you if you wish to take part and send the info.
---
God what I would do for an edit button on gamefaqs. - - - >R.I.P. 2011
#10DalethionPosted 10/11/2011 12:03:31 AM
eric_neo3 posted...
From what I've seen of it and read it's spyware without a doubt and has highest level access of super admin(if you don't know what it means google it, basically means an admin cannot override it). As far as acting as a rootkit I don't know as I am not willing to install "origin" on my PC.

Origin does not allow the user to opt out, see what info is being sent or to authorize what would be allowed to be sent or denied to be sent to EA and that's illegal enough for me to avoid it. Which is why steam is still vastly better, while steam does collect info it only collects install/hardware/ logs and it asks you if you wish to take part and send the info.

I don't understand why people keep thinking that Steam is as bad as Origin or worse...