Why no in-game ping?

#1EternalFlame66Posted 11/2/2011 10:57:48 AM
Sometimes I'd like to know what my current ping is, in a game.

It seems you can only get the server ping in the battlelog server browser menu?
#2ZeroRaiderPosted 11/2/2011 11:01:25 AM
It's because this game is console trash.
#3gradius_Posted 11/2/2011 11:07:40 AM
to reduce in-game whining is my guess.

different, but related:
as a means of monitoring my own ping fluctuations, i open a dos box (windows > run > cmd) and ping [my gateway ip] -t. this basically shows the ping time to my first hop, it won't show any delays that happen closer to or at the server, but at least i can see if someone in my place started downloading a torrent or whatever as my ping jumps from a flat 40ms to hundreds or thousands. then i know exactly when it's time to stop playing to avoid frustration (and when my connection becomes playable again)

i guess you could probably do the same thing using the server IP instead of your gateway IP, if that's shown anywhere.
#4miketoastyPosted 11/2/2011 11:13:02 AM
ZeroRaider posted...

..... This is a PC game, I don't know what you are talking about.
#5DuDuDu10101Posted 11/2/2011 12:26:50 PM
miketoasty posted...

ZeroRaider posted...

..... This is a PC game, I don't know what you are talking about.

It's still a console port, and they have bars to indicate ping, but disabled in the PC version
---
*slaps TC with a raw chicken*
This will continue until you make proper gamefaqs messages.
#6Tyrannus5930Posted 11/2/2011 12:29:09 PM
There are so many things in this game that is facepalm worthy.

-Chatbox being too small and not even noticeable unless a server message is put in
-UI is trash
-Map is trash
-Scoreboard with no ping
-Spawn screen is trash
-Customization is trash (if I have a laser on my SCAR on the US, why do I have to put it on when I'm on the other team?)
---
Core i7 950 @ 4.0ghz | 6GB DDR3 1600 | 560 GTX Ti 1GB x2 SLI | ASUS X58 Sabertooth
http://g.bfbcs.com/963/pc_Tyrannus3453.png
#7LethalPuppyPosted 11/2/2011 12:50:58 PM
this is relevant to my interest

what's so hard implementing some numbers?
---
Phenom II X4 965 BE, XFX 6950 1GB, 4GB DDR3 1333
#8DaKappaMANPosted 11/2/2011 1:11:31 PM
It's like, everything they did right on BC2, they just shoved it out the door. Granted they didn't have in-game ping, but the menus were so easy to navigate and not a pain in the ass. Plus, everything stayed the way it was from game to game so it wasn't any fiddling with attachments after every game.

Sometimes, I just don't get the world.
#9GimeaPosted 11/2/2011 1:20:44 PM
DaKappaMAN posted...
It's like, everything they did right on BC2, they just shoved it out the door. Granted they didn't have in-game ping, but the menus were so easy to navigate and not a pain in the ass. Plus, everything stayed the way it was from game to game so it wasn't any fiddling with attachments after every game.

Sometimes, I just don't get the world.

That's what you get when consumers shout phrases at companies like:

I will do whatever it takes to buy this game

I don't care about the changes, I will still buy it no matter what

Companies like EA just love this. This is why EA shoved in Origin, and they will get away with it too. Those poor mindless bastards were hyping up a console port.
---
Planetside 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE0UnH4mnTY
#10miketoastyPosted 11/2/2011 1:46:37 PM

Tyrannus5930 posted...
There are so many things in this game that is facepalm worthy.

-Chatbox being too small and not even noticeable unless a server message is put in
-UI is trash
-Map is trash
-Scoreboard with no ping
-Spawn screen is trash
-Customization is trash (if I have a laser on my SCAR on the US, why do I have to put it on when I'm on the other team?)
---
Core i7 950 @ 4.0ghz | 6GB DDR3 1600 | 560 GTX Ti 1GB x2 SLI | ASUS X58 Sabertooth
http://g.bfbcs.com/963/pc_Tyrannus3453.png

Chatbox is relative to your resolution. Too small? Turn up your resolution. Probably one of the more idiotic complaints I have heard.

UI is trash? It's the same basic UI as most other FPS's I guess all FPS's UI is trash.

Map? Well there are actually 9 maps. Oh you meant all 9 are trash? Please explain, maps are pretty fair, but I only play conquest so that may be why.

Ping should be shown but is not a big deal, you can tell if there is lag, don't need to be shown a number to be told that.

Spawn screen actually works suprisingly well. Click a location then click deploy, but I guess that would be a little complicated for some.

So because you have to reapply your accessories the entire customization in the game is trash? Yup, that makes sense. Takes 2 seconds to equip accessories, get. over. it.