Jet control tips?

#1TheExileJediPosted 10/7/2011 6:59:16 PM
To stop those like me from wasting a good jet, how about we educate them howto properly fly the damn thing? Is it better with the keyboard or the mouse controls? what's the best camera angle? how can you keep on the tail of a jet really well?

WHY DOES THETHING SUDDENLY GO UNRESPONSIVE FLIP OVER AND CRASH?
---
OMG THE J TEAM: Mr.T, Adam West, Chuck Norris and Jesus. If you don't agree they are the best team in the world, prepared to be round house kicked
#2BlackMantisPosted 10/7/2011 7:16:53 PM
I had better luck using the mouse in past BF games.

However, I was not an expert in BF jet flying. I could get it out the door, fly it around for a while, getting a few kills on the ground, but would still get the occasional crash.

Some people were really great at it, but from what I've seen in games, they are far and few.

It seemed like a lot of people just crashed the things before they got them off the runways. I can't tell you how many times I and 4-5 teammates died at once in 2142 from people who simply couldn't fly transport ships.
#3Decoy77Posted 10/8/2011 12:18:01 AM
wire 360 controller makes it easy to control.
---
i7 960 OC @ 3.7 GHz, Geforce GTX 295 1792MB, 6GB DDR3, 1000 Watt PSU, 1TB HD, Asus 23.6'' @ 1920 x 1080, Win7 x64
#4bruffy87Posted 10/8/2011 12:45:00 AM
Is it similar controls to bf2?
practice makes perfect my friends :P
---
''if they're doing something good, say yes, and give them an uber.... that kind of training works for dogs right? Maybe it'll work on noobs too '' arleas
#5ARMEDnPISSEDPosted 10/8/2011 1:01:10 AM
During takeoff roll, pull back when the speed indicator (the numbers on the left side) says about 180 or so. I'm not entirely sure on what the rotate speed is for the jets but it seems to be around there. However, if the screen starts shaking, it's your indication to get that bird in the air.

The mouse controls the ailerons and elevator (pitch of the aircraft), W and S controls the thrust of the engines and A/D controls the rudders. Ailerons are used primarily to turn the airplane. The rudder controls the yaw of the plane, meaning wherever the nose is pointed. In real life, you're supposed to use both ailerons and rudders when turning to keep turns smooth and coordinated; I've had no problems controlling the aircraft using this method.

Now, when you're in a dogfight, you obviously want to get behind the other aircraft. I'm not a fighter pilot or anything but I've found that whoever has the altitude usually wins so try and gain as much altitude without too much of a speed loss as possible. Don't fly straight and level; you want to be unpredictable and leave the enemy guessing on where to lead his gun sights, especially when he's right behind your ass.

There really is no point in landing because you hardly have any control of the aircraft on the ground, not to mention the way the map/runway is designed in the game makes landings very difficult. I don't think it's possible to turn the aircraft when on the ground; if you can, it's very bad.

I also want to mention it's virtually impossible to stall the airplane in the game (meaning the wings don't get enough lift and you pretty much fall out of the sky). The aircraft pretty much hovers off the ground if you fly slow.

I'm not going to cover ground attack because I haven't really done much of it but it does help to fly over your target (if possible) and come straight into your target at mediumish airspeed.

That's all the advice I can give you from my limited experience flying planes in BF3; just practice, practice, practice, even though it's difficult since DICE doesn't let you hop onto empty servers and fly. Once you understand the controls, it'll get easier
---
There is no sport equal to that which aviators enjoy while being carried through the air on great white wings. - Wilbur Wright
#6kallas48Posted 10/8/2011 1:23:46 AM
Today i have tried 3 contol schemes for the jets.

First was Keyboard and mouse combo which got me no where and would crash within first minute of flying.

Then tried a joystick which was even worse as id just crash at the end of the run way.

Then i tried JUST keyboard using the W,A,S,D keys and the Up,Down,Left,.Right keys for movement and the space bar to fire weapons and now can keep a jet airbourne untill someone shoots me down eventually.

However tomorrow im getting a Xbox 360 controller (cant get ps3 to work) which will make flying alot easier at least in the choppers if not the jets aswell.
#7Link_AJPosted 10/8/2011 3:14:46 AM
See my topic
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/960869-battlefield-3/60571228
---
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h132/Link_AJ/metaknightsig.jpg
PSN: Link_AJ
#8Erik212Posted 10/8/2011 3:51:11 AM
I have a 360 controller but I have to say that I prefer m&k. Also, unless you go anti-jet mode in the helicopters, no amount of better input will let you survive the barrage of AA that will shoot you down.
---
Another idea I had was the spy/sniper being able to climb into the soldier's rocket launcher and be launched across the map, dealing more damage, but no splash.
#9Benjamin_ButtonPosted 10/8/2011 9:17:42 AM

See my topic
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/960869-battlefield-3/60571228

This video explains nothing about better jet handling. Thanks for nothing.
---
http://i.imgur.com/KNzJR.gif