How do I not crash a helicopter?

#1Snuckie7Posted 4/14/2012 5:19:41 PM
I always lose control of my heli and end up crashing. What should I do to avoid this?
---
Dell XPS L501x | Intel Core i5 460M @ 2.53GHz | NVIDIA GT 420M OC @ 700/900 | 4GB 1333 RAM | 500GB 7200 RPM HDD
#2GenjoPosted 4/14/2012 5:23:47 PM
...Practice?
#3Snuckie7(Topic Creator)Posted 4/14/2012 5:50:31 PM
What am I supposed to be practicing? I can't keep a chopper in the air longer than 30 seconds
---
Dell XPS L501x | Intel Core i5 460M @ 2.53GHz | NVIDIA GT 420M OC @ 700/900 | 4GB 1333 RAM | 500GB 7200 RPM HDD
#4LordSeiferPosted 4/14/2012 6:11:01 PM
practice keeping it in the air for longer than 30 seconds.

should be pretty simple, press and hold w, dont flail your mouse around. itll just go up and sit stationary congrats youve done it
---
^ this
#5kroonermanblackPosted 4/14/2012 6:39:04 PM
Somehow I think he wants to actually move the thing. Not spend the whole game hovering. And since people insta-snatch helo and jets, practicing them is difficult.

Have the same problem myself (couldn't figure out the controls, stopped caring even remotely). I just avoid the things.
#6GenjoPosted 4/14/2012 6:49:45 PM
Find an empty server, use wasd and the arrow keys. It's easier to control than a mouse.

Take small dips forward and practice stopping. Work some turns in but only by yaw (a and d). Start adding in roll and more dramatic pitch. Don't over commit to a forward pitch and smash into the ground/your target.

Again, empty server.
#7Gizmo_kicks_assPosted 4/14/2012 7:23:26 PM

Go to the coop missions and choose one of the missions that feature helicopter.  This is the only place where you can practice the chopper without worrying about getting shot down. 

#8Snuckie7(Topic Creator)Posted 4/14/2012 7:27:02 PM
Gizmo_kicks_ass posted...
Go to the coop missions and choose one of the missions that feature helicopter. This is the only place where you can practice the chopper without worrying about getting shot down.

Haha that's actually why I made this topic because I couldn't beat the second level. But it's all good now because I just pretty much hovered the whole level.
---
#9HappyMrSnowmanPosted 4/14/2012 8:33:24 PM
Another option is going to an empty server or a "practice here" server, one that lets you start with 2 people and have at it. There are a handful of those servers out there. But as far as basic controls and tips go:

W: Ascend
S: Descend
A: Turn Left
D: Turn right
Mouse forward: Tilt forward
Mouse back: Tilt back
Mouse right (laterally): tilt right
Mouse left: (laterally): tilt left

to fly forward, hold W and move mouse forward SLIGHTLY. Not a lot, otherwise you nosedive. To slow down pull back on your mouse. To sway sideways move the mouse in the direction you want to sway.

Biggest mistake novice pilots make is to move the mouse like they're trying to do a really fast maneuver, that will crash your ass into the ground. The heli moves deliberately and requires balance. If you go too far in any direction you'll oversteer. (think car driving)

Like other people said, PRACTICE. its intimidating at first, man up and do it, or don't do it and don't touch the heli. Its a fair statement, I suck at jets, I don't touch em, there are better players to use them. There are some people who never use tank, they're bad with it. If you pick up helis and the ground just keeps on coming up to meet you, consider another vehicle you want to use instead.
---
Stalker Clear Sky isn't a game. Its a virus - PapaTak when asked his opinions of STCS.
#10iman7Posted 4/14/2012 9:38:10 PM
While youre practicing, don't be disheartened everytime you crash. It's a subconcious lesson that teaches you the dimensions of the helicopter if youre flying low and near buildings. Eventually you'll be aware of how low you can go with the chopper and it also makes you aware of your tail rotor for those turns in tight spots.

Also keep off the mouse until you've mastered basic flying. The amount of precision required to fly with mouse only is a lot more than simple tapping with the directional keys. After that you can go from D keys flying to adjusting your aim with the mouse to flying with mostly mouse.
---
All hail the sticky whale!