Anti Tank rifle guide plox!!!

#1KungfuKittenPosted 9/19/2011 3:35:32 AM

So. This is like the big secret of RO veterans and I want to know it! Maybe we can have a clear guide for once and for all?!

Like most people new to RO(2) I have a lot of trouble effectively using the anti tank rifle. I didn't care that I shot 15 times at a tank and it didn't blow to smithereens. I started to mind when I noticed that others could blow up a tank with very few shots.
I've been trying to figure this out for a while now. And have 3 questions about the 4 things that seem to matter:

1. The angle of your shot. This one seems the most logical, easy to understand. You have to try hit the armour with as big an angle as possible for maximum impact. It seems whether you penetrate or not matters a lot, and it seems pretty hard to penetrate a tank with the rifle.

2. Distance and accuracy. As I understand, anti tank rifles were very inaccurate and their effectivity was greatly influenced by the distance to the tank (and the kind of armour but there is only one kind per side in RO2). The shells drop very fast in reallife.
Is this true for RO2?
I don't notice much of a drop, and it seems very accurate almost like a rifle when used on infantry. So I guess the closer, the better.

3. What side you aim for? If I understand correctly we are dealing with the T34 on the Russian side, and the Panzer(kampfwagen) IV for the Axis. I know that the top and bottom armour of both tanks is by far the thinnest. So that would suggest that hitting a tank from above is ideal but hard to get a good angle on.
You would think front armour is the thickest but as far as I know the T34 had about equal armour on all sides. The German one had like 20 revisions so I don't know what version they use, it possibly has very thick front armour and thin rear armour?

4. Where on that side of the tank should you hit the tank? That is the great mystery that I want to learn. I have no idea. There have been people saying all kinds of things. It seems aiming for the main gun or the auxiliary guns is a really bad idea, that never got me anywhere. The turret seems almost indestructable while I thought turrets had less armour than the main body.
Looking at the inside of the tanks ingame, I tried hitting where I thought the ammo was stored but I got very random results.
Here is a picture of the T34 and the PzIV from all sides. It would be really nice if someone could colour the parts that you should aim for.

The T34:

And the PzIV:

#2xoroku1Posted 9/19/2011 5:01:21 AM
I won't pretend I'm able to answer your questions as I'm new to the game too but got back to the Tank tutorial in single player. When you change positions like the turret on the right side it explains the weak spots near that position.
#3KungfuKitten(Topic Creator)Posted 9/19/2011 5:44:30 AM
xoroku1 posted...
I won't pretend I'm able to answer your questions as I'm new to the game too but got back to the Tank tutorial in single player. When you change positions like the turret on the right side it explains the weak spots near that position.

I haven't played the singleplayer yet because it keeps crashing on me, but I'll try to get through that and see whether it helps.
#4aappooPosted 9/19/2011 2:04:28 PM

KungfuKitten posted...
I haven't played the singleplayer yet because it keeps crashing on me, but I'll try to get through that and see whether it helps.

Try to run RO2 as administrator

#5hotshot331Posted 9/20/2011 11:45:54 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U-NnHAwWxk

This helped me when I was playing RO1. Also remember that you can kill the crew inside, so if you aim at the cupola or the view slits, you can kill the commander and driver. You can also destroy the track to immobilize it, or shoot at the turret ring to immobilize tghe turret. These are just some examples, try to think what parts would be weak

#6L5KPosted 9/24/2011 10:10:51 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U-NnHAwWxk
This helped me when I was playing RO1. Also remember that you can kill the crew inside, so if you aim at the cupola or the view slits, you can kill the commander and driver. You can also destroy the track to immobilize it, or shoot at the turret ring to immobilize tghe turret. These are just some examples, try to think what parts would be weak

This is what I always try to do. Most of the time I can kill someone in the turret with just one shot into the turret. It also will often disable the turret from moving. Then I start aiming for treads. If they present a shot at the rear (engine) then I will hit that, but I never just hammer a tank till it explodes. A disabled tank is good enough. Plus it won't respawn on their side until it's destroyed I believe.

If you've ever had any experience or training for combat, disabled enemies are more useful than dead ones. If you kill an enemy, then the others can leave him. If you injure an enemy, then they have to take time out of the fight to care for him. Think of Saving Private Ryan, when the German sniper hit the guy, and let him bleed in the street trying to lure out the other soldiers who might want to help him.
---
Moving through the shadows with the speed of a cat
And if you cross us we'll cut ya, and you ain't gonna like that...