Alpha Centauri / Alien Crossfire not running right? Come here!

#1aetherspoon(Moderator)Posted 12/12/2005 8:23:45 AMmessage detail
I'm getting a "CPU Not Supported" message on startup with my Pentium 4 / Athlon 64 processor!
Open Alpha Centauri.ini. Find "ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=0" and change the 0 to 1. The error will still appear, but it'll let you play anyway.

The game won't install - something about a 16-bit error and Autoexec.nt?
Chances are, you have a HPCompaq or a Dell computer. Some computers didn't have Windows XP installed correctly, and older programs (such as the installer for Alpha Centauri) won't work correctly.
http://www.atsoft.fi/tiedostot/win/xp/autoexnt.exe
The above URL should be a fix for the Autoexec.nt problem.
Also, if you have the game on an older computer, you can just copy the game directory over to the newer computer - it will work without actually needing to install it.

The game crashes when I use an air unit to kill an enemy unit near a base. What's happening with this or other crashes?
There are bugs that come from using air interceptors, which the AI most likely has nearby. To solve, attack the AI base instead, it is far less likely to crash.
Also, the game will crash if a volcano is generated as a random event at where the player has a unit.

What is Alien Crossfire?
The expansion to Alpha Centauri.

Where can I find patches for Alpha Centauri / Alien Crossfire?
http://www.firaxis.com/games/game_detail.php?gameid=7
You will need both the Windows 2000/XP compatibility patch AND either the Alpha Centauri v4.0 update or the Alien Crossfire v2.0 update.

Where can I buy Alpha Centauri?
It is an EA Classic and is included in a few collections.

Where can I buy Alien Crossfire?
Nowhere. Occasionally EA will release it in a collection, but it is one of the rarest modern PC games out there. Average price on eBay is over 50 USD.

Where can I download Alpha Centauri / Alien Crossfire / A no CD crack for Alien Crossfire?
It is illegal. Stop asking, you'll get moderated.

Hopefully this will answer all of the topics that perpetually pop up.
---
-Ęther SPOON! ~ Spare computer parts? Contact me!
"The use of Win95 shows no shortage of unwarranted courage." - Antimerus
#2DarquePosted 12/24/2005 2:02:25 AMmessage detail
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#3DarquePosted 12/25/2005 2:16:41 PMmessage detail
Excellent, a much needed sticky! =)
---
Jill Valentine > You
#4TShadowWandererPosted 12/29/2005 12:07:07 PMmessage detail
What ho? A sticky on a slow board...
Hehe, I guess it is nice to have your friendly resident Mod...

~_^

---
Thus saith...
(((~][_)) `The Shadow Wanderer' ((_][~)))
#5Shas_La_KaisPosted 2/18/2006 11:42:22 AMmessage detail
thank you very much. I just got this game and that has answered all of my questions. :)
#6knee highPosted 2/25/2006 8:06:36 AMmessage detail
Nowhere. Occasionally EA will release it in a collection, but it is one of the rarest modern PC games out there. Average price on eBay is over 50 USD.

I died a little on the inside T_T
---
You can only be young once. But you can always be immature. ~Dave Barry
#7Hawk1665Posted 5/7/2006 1:06:55 AMmessage detail
I'm having a problem running Alien Crossfire.

I had the CPU Not supported message with just Centauri, but I managed to finally get past that. Now, everytime I try to play Alien Crossfire, I can get to the starting menu (Where you choose AC or Crossfire), but when I hit Crossfire, the game blows up, and Windows tells me that it's encountered an error.

I've had Crossfire on this PC before...that I can remember...i think...and I don't remember havign this problem. I've tried just about everything, but I really don't know what it is.

Any ideas on why this is happening?
#8aetherspoon(Topic Creator)(Moderator)Posted 5/7/2006 5:34:43 AMmessage detail
Try running the terranx.exe executable directly instead of using that menu.
---
Ęther SPOON!
Resident junk computer part expert, owner of #aspoonedroom
#9Hawk1665Posted 5/7/2006 3:38:17 PMmessage detail
Tried that, still get the "Terranx has encountered a problem and has to shutdown"

It's like, something got fried when I installed it. Have all the patches, the little CPU not supported fix, but I get this no matter what I do. Even tried a reinstall.
#10aetherspoon(Topic Creator)(Moderator)Posted 5/9/2006 7:09:29 PMmessage detail
Even the 2000/XP Compatibility Patch?
---
Ęther SPOON!
Resident junk computer part expert, owner of #aspoonedroom