How do I get this to work with Windows 7 and an x64 processor?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
  3. How do I get this to work with Windows 7 and an x64 processor?
6 years ago#1
Seriously, I have no clue.

I tried the fix from Firaxis's website and it didn't work.
---
Is this Time Lady person like some sort of dominatrix, who takes it to a deity-like level? O_o - The moonlight knight
6 years ago#2
What error are you getting?
---
Ęther SPOON!
Resident junk computer part expert, owner of #aspoonedroom
6 years ago#3
When I tried running it in 98SE on VirtualPC I got an error that was something like, "Your CPU has to be at least an 80806 to run. Your CPU is a 0."

When I directly installed it in 7 I received a "Your CPU is not supported" error, then it crashed.

I can't run it in DOSbox either.

If it helps any I'm on Home Premium.
---
Is this Time Lady person like some sort of dominatrix, who takes it to a deity-like level? O_o - The moonlight knight
6 years ago#4
You're having the standard VoxelAlgorithm problem that nearly all new processors have.

Open up Alpha Centauri.ini, add the line "ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm = 1" and try again.
---
Ęther SPOON!
Resident junk computer part expert, owner of #aspoonedroom
6 years ago#5
Similar problem.

I've just re-installed SMAC after upgrading to windows 7 from xp. The game worked fine on xp after some tweakery, and i've tried the same tweaks detailed above to get the game to work on W7 x64.

Everything loads fine with an Unsupported CPU error which is fixed by changing the ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm, however when i try to load a saved game from the XP install, or start a completely new game, i get a message saying "Unable to allocate draw buffer". I've tried changing the ds3d setting in the .ini file to =0 but its made no difference, and i'm unsure where to go from here.

Any suggestions?
6 years ago#6
after restarting the computer this morning the error seems to have gone.
  1. Boards
  2. Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
  3. How do I get this to work with Windows 7 and an x64 processor?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived