The Newest Mortal Kombat (9) Tier List

#1m2davePosted 10/29/2011 9:46:02 AM
This is the newest off-line tier list, according to REO, Tom Brady, and m2dave. Slight input was also provided by Perfect Legend. The characters are listed alphabetically within each tier. The letters used in the tier list represent the following match up wise.

S = 0-2 bad match ups
A+ = 3-4 bad match ups
A = 5-6 bad match ups
B = 7-8 bad match ups
C = 9-10 bad match ups
D = 11+ bad match ups

S Cyrax, Kabal, Kitana, Mileena, Smoke, Raiden
A+ Freddy Krueger, Jax, Johnny Cage, Kung Lao, Rain, Reptile, Sektor, Sonya, Sub Zero
A Cyber Sub Zero, Kano, Kenshi, Liu Kang, Scorpion, Quan Chi, Shang Tsung
B Baraka, Ermac, Noob, Sheeva
C Nightwolf, Sindel, Skarlet, Stryker
D Jade

Please comment and discuss. The tier list is based on off-line gameplay ONLY.
---
A.K.A m2dave
#2Itachi_Sasuke13Posted 10/29/2011 10:06:46 AM
Dmario14 posted...
This is the newest off-line tier list, according to REO, Tom Brady, and m2dave. Slight input was also provided by Perfect Legend. The characters are listed alphabetically within each tier. The letters used in the tier list represent the following match up wise.

S = 0-2 bad match ups
A+ = 3-4 bad match ups
A = 5-6 bad match ups
B = 7-8 bad match ups
C = 9-10 bad match ups
D = 11+ bad match ups

A+ Freddy Krueger, Jax, Johnny Cage, Kung Lao, Rain, Reptile, Sektor, Sonya, Sub Zero
D Jade

I'm liking Freddy's spot and I saw your Freddy zoning at Seasons Beatings. Hoping to see more of it plus combos :D

----
PSN: Itachi1233
"Fall to Confusion" ~ Itachi
#3SK00DXPosted 10/29/2011 10:12:36 AM
I'm fine with Kenshi
But Scorpion???he must be A+
---
PSN:SK00D-X
~<THE TRUTH MUST CONQUER>~
#4x17x2xwildxPosted 10/29/2011 10:14:33 AM
Dmario14 posted...

S = 0-2 bad match ups
A+ = 3-4 bad match ups
A = 5-6 bad match ups
B = 7-8 bad match ups
C = 9-10 bad match ups
D = 11+ bad match ups

D Jade

Wait. Skarlet and Sindel on the same tier? Smoke is S tier? Ermac is down with Baraka? I'm sorry, but this looks like a joke to me.

**sees where Jade is at**

T_T well that figures
---
-Official Mileena of the MK Boards-
Sais matters.
#5SK00DXPosted 10/29/2011 10:18:38 AM
x17x2xwildx posted...
Dmario14 posted...

S = 0-2 bad match ups
A+ = 3-4 bad match ups
A = 5-6 bad match ups
B = 7-8 bad match ups
C = 9-10 bad match ups
D = 11+ bad match ups

D Jade

Wait. Skarlet and Sindel on the same tier? Smoke is S tier? Ermac is down with Baraka? I'm sorry, but this looks like a joke to me.

**sees where Jade is at**

T_T well that figures

Hehe...bad luck,Jade!
---
PSN:SK00D-X
~<THE TRUTH MUST CONQUER>~
#6x17x2xwildxPosted 10/29/2011 10:22:43 AM
^ nooooooooooooooooo!
---
-Official Mileena of the MK Boards-
Sais matters.
#7AnimasPain2006Posted 10/29/2011 10:32:48 AM(edited)
Yeah ...

First, it seems like the entire bottom half of this list is "derp derp. I dunno where to put these characters. Let's make them low tier!"

My major problems are with Nightwolf and Skarlet.
- I do NOT think Nightwolf is S tier. In fact, I never have. Even in my old lists when the pros were calling him top 5, I listed him in the middle of A tier. Putting him in C tier and saying he has 9-10 bad match-ups is ridiculous to me. He struggles with Cyrax, Kabal, Kitana, Liu kang, Mileena, Reptile, and maybe Rain. Even so, these are 4-6s at worst. He has NO horrible matchups (worse than 4-6).
- Skarlet is a character that hasn't been played competitively by anyone yet. However, she has so many tools, I can't imagine her much lower than A tier either. I don't know personally about this one as I dont play Skarlet, but I've played against enough to know that this just feels wrong.

In no way should Jade by a spot lower than Sindel ... what are these bad match-ups for Jade? I played Jade quite heavily until recently (Sick of dropped inputs), and in my opinion, she goes 5-5 with most of the cast. She also dominates Noob and Sindel with Kenshi and Raiden being her only horrible matchups. I do think she is bottom tier, but there's no way she's lower than Sindel. Sindel has almost no good match-ups aside from Reptile, and I'd say that ALL of the following are bad for her: Cyrax, Jade, Johnny Cage, Kabal, Kitana, Kung Lao, Mileena, Noob, Quan Chi, Raiden, Rain, Smoke. That's 12, and for the life of me, I cant understand how anyone would find any of these in her favor.

Smoke is good, but to put him in S tier is jumping the gun. This was, most likely, due to the dash nerf (zoning became more powerful and the quick movement of smoke port is a godsend), but, imo, it's not enough to catapult him to S tier. At all. He's good. I'd put him in A tier for sure, but an S tier character should be above the rest of the cast and a real dominating force. Smoke does not fit this description, imo.

Mileena ... I think Kabal and Mileena are the two best characters in the game and have since the first Kung Lao nerf. I've been saying it for months, but Mileena is highly punishable and involves a very high amount of high risk-high reward tactics. For this reason, I often put her in A tier.

Having said all that, I think the rest is pretty much spot on.
---
PSN ID: TheChad_87 // MK Main: Cyrax/Mileena/Nightwolf
MK Community Character FAQ: http://bit.ly/q4a2jl
#8scorpion41Posted 10/29/2011 10:29:58 AM
Dmario14 posted...

S = 0-2 bad match ups
A+ = 3-4 bad match ups
A = 5-6 bad match ups
B = 7-8 bad match ups
C = 9-10 bad match ups
D = 11+ bad match ups

D Jade

I agree with some of these...but, Nightwolf and Skarlet with Sindel and Stryker? Baraka up with Ermac and Noob? Smoke jumps all the way to top tier? Raiden still top tier? Jade is bottom tier by herself? Something isn't right...
---
Advocate and member of Team Stryker
PSN: scorpion_4160/MK mains:Stryker,Scorpion,Noob
#9Musashi920Posted 10/29/2011 10:39:18 AM
Itachi_Sasuke13 posted...
Dmario14 posted...

S = 0-2 bad match ups
A+ = 3-4 bad match ups
A = 5-6 bad match ups
B = 7-8 bad match ups
C = 9-10 bad match ups
D = 11+ bad match ups

D Jade

I'm liking Freddy's spot and I saw your Freddy zoning at Seasons Beatings. Hoping to see more of it plus combos :D

----

Although I've never really seen Rain, Sektor, Sindel, Skarlet, Baraka and Stryker in a tournament to see if their placement in the tiers are justified I agree with pretty much everything else... Is there a link to the explanations as to what characters are bad match ups for each?
---
PSN: Keiji86Maeda
SF4: Blanka MK9: Kano, Jade MvC3: Wolvie, Spencer, Wesker
#10Itachi_Sasuke13Posted 10/29/2011 10:43:50 AM
AnimasPain2006 posted...
Yeah ...

First, it seems like the entire bottom half of this list is "derp derp. I dunno where to put these characters. Let's make them low tier!"

My major problems are with Nightwolf and Skarlet.
- I do NOT think Nightwolf is S tier. In fact, I never have. Even in my old lists when the pros were calling him top 5, I listed him in the middle of A tier. Putting him in C tier and saying he has 9-10 bad match-ups is ridiculous to me. He struggles with Cyrax, Kabal, Kitana, Liu kang, Mileena, Reptile, and maybe Rain. Even so, these are 4-6s at worst. He has NO horrible matchups (worse than 4-6).
- Skarlet is a character that hasn't been played competitively by anyone yet. However, she has so many tools, I can't imagine her much lower than A tier either. I don't know personally about this one as I dont play Skarlet, but I've played against enough to know that this just feels wrong.

In no way should Jade by a spot lower than Sindel ... what are these bad match-ups for Jade? I played Jade quite heavily until recently (Sick of dropped inputs), and in my opinion, she goes 5-5 with most of the cast. She also dominates Noob and Sindel with Kenshi and Raiden being her only horrible matchups. I do think she is bottom tier, but there's no way she's lower than Sindel. Sindel has almost no good match-ups aside from Reptile, and I'd say that ALL of the following are bad for her: Cyrax, Jade, Johnny Cage, Kabal, Kitana, Kung Lao, Mileena, Noob, Quan Chi, Raiden, Rain, Smoke. That's 12, and for the life of me, I cant understand how anyone would find any of these in her favor.

Smoke is good, but to put him in S tier is jumping the gun. This was, most likely, due to the dash nerf (zoning became more powerful and the quick movement of smoke port is a godsend), but, imo, it's not enough to catapult him to S tier. At all. He's good. I'd put him in A tier for sure, but an S tier character should be above the rest of the cast and a real dominating force. Smoke does not fit this description, imo.

Mileena ... I think Kabal and Mileena are the two best characters in the game and have since the first Kung Lao nerf. I've been saying it for months, but Mileena is highly punishable and involves a very high amount of high risk-high reward tactics. For this reason, I often put her in A tier.

Having said all that, I think the rest is pretty much spot on.

I get what your saying and i agree but the reason Smoke is so high is because of his combo resets. I think Perfectlegend was showing smoke to have 80% combos with his Ex Smoke Bomb.

----