let's talk Xbox 360 controllers for Mortal Kombat - the D-pad

#1chicagogr81Posted 1/7/2011 8:07:48 PM
I don't think I'm the only one who doesn't like the original D-pad or the stick on an Xbox controller for Ultimate MK3 or MK vs DC. It's not smooth at all and doesn't register inputs very accurately, which is of critical importance to perform the kraziest kombos in Mortal Kombat.

So my plan is to invest in a brand new controller when this game comes out. Are there any new controllers with a different D-pad that is 4 separate buttons? Microsoft or 3rd party (if that even exists), whatever, I need something better than this horrible controller for MK. If anyone's got links with picture of new controller models please post them here to help me and anyone else out with finding the best model for fighting games.
---
JD/MBA/MS GT: Arvs23
In My Lifetime: 1 Lombardi Trophy, 6 O'Brien Trophies, 1 Commissioner's Trophy, 1 Stanley Cup
#2mkfreddddiPosted 1/7/2011 8:13:10 PM
the newest xbox controller fixes the problem. the d-pad twists so only 4 buttons are sticking up heres a pic
http://www.conceivablytech.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/xbox360.jpg
#3zerohybrdPosted 1/7/2011 8:14:42 PM
i got the new controller and it works perfectly! my buddy and i started playing MK vs DC and it always responds perfect
#4chicagogr81(Topic Creator)Posted 1/7/2011 8:23:56 PM
I'm still concerned that with the pad being a cross instead of 4 separate buttons is that tapping in one direction moves the whole cross or will still be too stiff. This is where I've always had to give the nod to Playstation with the 4 individual arrow buttons, feels much more precise for inputting the type of commands necessary for Mortal Kombat. How does this new controller stack up next to that?
---
JD/MBA/MS GT: Arvs23
In My Lifetime: 1 Lombardi Trophy, 6 O'Brien Trophies, 1 Commissioner's Trophy, 1 Stanley Cup
#5OmegaDL50Posted 1/7/2011 8:50:08 PM
If you open up the guts of a PlayStation controller you will see that the 4 separate arrows are actually one piece of plastic that covers the directional switches that trigger the directions..however externally due to the molding it looks like 4 separate buttons when it's not.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee316/veilx/IMG_6654.jpg - you can see this for yourself here.

The issue with the 360 D-Pad was due to that circular wall like shell around the actual directions making when you wanted to press a certain direction you would hit the wall and which would hinder your motions (people used methods by hacking this wall down with a filer and sandpaper to remove this annoying obstruction)

Googling "360 D-Pad mod" goes further into detail how to fix this annoying issue, which will void your controllers warranty, Or you could always alternatively purchase 3rd party controller that has no issues with such as the Hori Pad EX = http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Pad-EX-Turbo-Black/dp/B002LT9PXQ or one of those Street Fighter IV fightpads http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001M22WMO which is similar to a Saturn controller.

---
Playing - Two Worlds II (PC), Burnout Paradise (360), Rune Factory Frontier (Wii)
Waiting For - Mortal Kombat (360), Diablo III (PC), Dragon Quest X (Wii)
#6Famine_10f4Posted 1/7/2011 8:54:51 PM

I was questioning this too. If the new controller has the 4 button d-pad how would you do the moves that require an upward or downward angle? I never liked using the joystick for fighting games but it would be the only way to do those angle moves.

#7SoljahPosted 1/7/2011 9:25:02 PM
People are quick to complain about everything but here is the truth. Although the dpad isnt the best, it works PERFECTLY FINE. I used it for well over a year on SF4 and not basic stuff, RSF with Elf, FADC combos, you name it. It will be perfectly fine and the only reason someone loses and blames the dpad is because they suck at the game.
---
Your Friendly Monster Hunter Soljah
Which is worse Ignorance or Apathy - I dont know and I dont care. ^_^
#8Hi_Im_FoxxyPosted 1/7/2011 11:50:28 PM
The dpad on the new controller is sexy.
#9ch2423Posted 1/8/2011 7:26:37 AM
lvletal posted...
I used it for well over a year on SF4 and not basic stuff, RSF with Elf, FADC combos, you name it.

Sure you did.
#10chicagogr81(Topic Creator)Posted 1/8/2011 10:37:18 AM
@ Soljah: if a player is legitimately more comfortable with one controller type over another, it's his prerogative to use it, then we'll see who sucks
---
JD/MBA/MS --- GT: Arvs23