What exactly is a "frame trap"? And, is it considered "cheating"?

#1lordgoroPosted 8/12/2011 3:49:41 AM
I got caught today by a kung lao(no surprise there) that literally did some type of short combo that ended in a low hat, and I couldn't block between combos, and couldn't even xray! This person messaged me boasting about a "frame trap", so what exactly is it, and how does one get out of it?
---
"SAVE YOUR PITY FOR THE WEAK!"
#2TailsIsWinPosted 8/12/2011 4:00:42 AM
A series of moves that force you to continue blocking or else you will take a hit.
D+1 usually works for escaping
War Mouse is probably already typing a way better explanation.
---
Zyns XD
#316_BitPosted 8/12/2011 4:02:39 AM
You're probably talking about 2,4~low hat. After the low hat hits Kung Lao has significant advantage and almost nothing can interrupt his follow up. Your best bet is to block. Also when you block the low hat if you have 6 frame move like Reptile's dash or a duck jab you can punish the hat. It'll be hard with lag so you can at least go on the offense.

A frame trap is when you have the opponent block a move that leaves you in advantage on block and then you follow up with a fast move that they can't easily interrupt. This will scare them into remaining blocking and allow you to pressure them.

For example, Sheeva can cancel her strings into her command grab that leaves her in advantage on block. She has followups that can only be interrupted with a d+1 or jumping out. If the Sheeva player predicts they will try to escape the frame trap with a d+1 or jump she has answers to punish them for it.

No this isn't cheating.
#4ApolloCreedPosted 8/12/2011 4:03:23 AM
And, is it considered "cheating"?"

It's considered to be on the same level as spamming... so it's a cheap tactic.
---
"This game is like picking your ASS and then picking your nose!"
#5TailsIsWinPosted 8/12/2011 4:04:34 AM
ApolloCreed posted...

Nothing is cheap (Reference to our first conversation)
---
Zyns XD
#616_BitPosted 8/12/2011 4:04:51 AM
ApolloCreed posted...

I hope this was sarcasm?
#7ApolloCreedPosted 8/12/2011 4:09:02 AM(edited)
Oh... excuse me, am I supposed to bite my words because you utilize frame traps as your main strategy...? (I'm just gathering this from your uppity response)

Oh please.

EDIT: to 16_Bit

---
#8ApolloCreedPosted 8/12/2011 4:09:52 AM(edited)
Instead of raising your eyebrows at me and looking stupid, perhaps you could explain what makes one less cheap than the other...? It's an exploit. So it may not be cheating, but it's definitely cheap.

---
#9TailsIsWinPosted 8/12/2011 4:09:07 AM
ApolloCreed posted...
Instead of raising your eyebrows at me and looking stupid, perhaps you could explain what makes one less cheap than the other...?

Impossible to do this because, as I said, nothing is cheap.
---
Zyns XD
#10ApolloCreedPosted 8/12/2011 4:13:01 AM
Okay... but I disagree.

The only reliable way to defeat someone using the frame traps is to not get into them in the first place. So if all someone is doing is the low hat trap the whole fight, it's equatable to spam. Which is a cheap tactic.

Now, like I said, cheap doesn't mean cheating... but yeah... cheap.

---