Looking forward to this

#1CranberryPSOPosted 6/2/2010 7:53:15 PM
I love Meerkats. It should be coming out this monday.
---
Best quest to fight tons of Canadians really fast? ~HaienLai
Topics won: 2
#2CranberryPSO(Topic Creator)Posted 6/7/2010 6:28:36 PM
And it's out! I'm downloading it now.
---
#3frostyeelPosted 6/7/2010 6:31:47 PM
post your impressions once you've played it a bit
---
[/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/]
#4CranberryPSO(Topic Creator)Posted 6/7/2010 9:46:24 PM
Will do.
---
#5CranberryPSO(Topic Creator)Posted 6/8/2010 6:55:44 PM
I'm about halfway through the 2nd area so I can give some first impressions now.

The game has a cute little story. You are a female meerkat, and you lived with your pack in a lush savana paradise. But then some rival meerkats attacked and your pack fled. While you were fleeing, you fell into the river and were swept away nearly drowning. When you awaken, you're alone on the other side of the river where the conditions are much harsher. I haven't met the rival meerkats yet, but what' interesting is the game's description of them in the operation's manual. It hints that your rivals might be space aliens, but you'll have to get over there to find out. Interesting... of course the game also says they could just be meerkats with really bad attitudes. I'll just have to make it over there and find out.

The main goal of the game is to raise your pack and expad your territory. You play as the female leader of the pack and once you've found a mate, you set about gathering food so that you can produce young. You also dig expansions of your next to take control of more territory. There are "check points" of sorts shown by yellow flags. You need to claim these flags by making them part of your burrow. Once you have all the flags you'll control the area and move onto the next.

The game progresses in "days" with each day being 7 minutes long. At the end of each day you'll be shown some statistics and you can save your game. If any pups were born during the night, they'll pop out of the burrow the next morning. As far as I can tell, the passage of days has no affect on the game itself. There doesn't seem to be a limit to how many days you spend in an area, and you don't seem to be rewarded or penalized based on days spent in an area.

One cool featue about the game is you can name the Meerkatas as well as the pack itself. My pack is called "Meerkat Empire", the dominate female is named Cranberry, afte myself, and my dominate male is Batman. Yes, Batman. =D My first 3 pups were named Samurai, Pizza, and Cats. ;) Yes, you get to name every single Meerkat that is born and survives the Puppy phase. But worry not if coming up with name after name sounds like a chore, every name entry screen has a default name already put in so if you wish you can just accept the default name. If even that is too tedious you can turn on an auto-name feature. I haven't used this yet but it supposedly automatically names them without prompting you. I personally like to name them myself.

The controls take a little getting used to. The tutorial alone might not be enough for you, and it's probably worth looking at the operations manual. You'll catch onto the controls pretty quick, but it's not very intuitive. Here's a tip you'll probably need before the Tutorial gets it. If you go into a burrow, hold B and then press A to get out. Took me a while to figure out how to get out of my burrow once I went in.

The game has a few bugs, that are more annoyances than anything. You can press 2 to toggle the Meerkats names on and off during the game. But ever time you command a Meerkat to dig, when he pops out again his name will be off and you'll have to re-toggle it to get it back. This gets kind of annoying real fast if you like playing with the names on. When Meerkats are gathering food, they often run into terrain they can't cross. Rather than running around it, they just teleport. Even your own Meerkat sometimes teleports while trying to dig. Again it's more an annoynace than anything. I also found 1 glitched Scorpin where after I killed it I couldn't grab it to bring it back to the den.

---
#6CranberryPSO(Topic Creator)Posted 6/8/2010 6:55:58 PM
The game's biggest weakness is that it actuall leaves a somewhat bad first impression. The first area of the game will probably take you an hour or two to complete if it's your first time playing and you don't know what you're supposed to be doing. But the first area is also pretty boring. There's no dangers of any kind in the first area, so all you do is dig and find bugs. It's very easy to spend several days catching bugs and not realize you're supposed to be digging a bigger and bigger nest to after more flags. I can easilly see many players getting bored and turning off the game having never finished the first level.

Once you reach the second area, the game gets a lot better. Predators start coming, and you finally have to use your head a bit. With you try and fight the predator or will you flee to the safety of you burrow? This is when some strategy is needed, and also when you need to start ordering Meerkats to stand guard. If guards spot a predator, they'll warn you and you'll have a chanceto either command your pack to flee or gather them up for battle. If the predator wasn't spotted, you could get ambushed. The predators really add a lot to the strategy element of the game, and really increases the excitment too. Just like a real Meerkat leader you have to make a split second decision as to whethere you fight or flee. You have a lot of control over your pack, and good decisions lead to a healthy pack while bad decisions lead to a pack picked off 1 by 1 by predators. If you lose your lead Meerkat, it's game over. If you lose another one, you can either accept the loss and keep going or restart the day if you really don't want to lose them. I'm not sure what happens if you lose your mate, no one has been able to take Batman.

So there's where we are so far. If you get this game, I suggest you rush through level 1 as fast as you can. It gets much better at level 2 and you start to feel like you're leadership actually means something.

---
#7CranberryPSO(Topic Creator)Posted 6/8/2010 9:42:58 PM
Twice now I've had the game randomly freeze on me forcing me to power off my Wii just during regular gameplay.

As much as I WANT to like this game, they did a pretty poor job with the programming. It's inexcusible for it to be freezing like this. It's a game that had a lot of potental, but I'm wondering if they even bothered to bug test it. It's a shame because the concept is really good, but the programming is very poorly done.
---
#8foggedUPPosted 6/10/2010 1:25:04 PM
Most people know about the freezing (My game froze 5 times).
It's annoying but I could cope with it if I could actually save the game.

There is a serious glitch in my game:

After I beat the 2nd part of the map, I couldn't save my progress anymore,
don't matter how often I press the SAVE button.

And every time I want to play through the 2 last parts of the game without saving,
the game freezes. There's no way for me to beat the game....

except maybe starting all over again.
But I don't want to lose everything I've done!!!

I'm so disappointed that I can't progress.
This game ain't bad, but it's totally broken.
#9CranberryPSO(Topic Creator)Posted 6/10/2010 5:10:42 PM
I haven't had an issue with the game not saving, but I did find something that might be contributing to the problem. I freed up some more blocks on my Wii console and the game seems to be running a little better. I'm wondering if these problems might be related to not enough block space.

Does your Wii console have a lot of free blocks or are you very low on blocks? That might be a factor.

I agree with you though. This game is not bad, it's broken.
---
#10XicoFelipePosted 6/13/2010 1:16:09 PM
I have about 700 open blocks in my Wii. Sometimes the game gets veeeeeery slow, but it never froze to the point that I needed to restart it. This game seems pretty good, it reminds me of Pikmin. I hope they fix it soon.