The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

Tome translated!

#1phort99Posted 4/16/2012 3:34:08 AM
Thought this merited a new thread, since it turns out it doesn't have much to do with the monolith as far as we know. It seems to allude to the story of Flatland among other things.

FROM OUT OF NOWHERE
IMPOSSIBLE VISITORS
OUR BENEFACTORS

WATCHING OVER US
IN THE HIDDEN FOLDS OF SPACE
IN FRONT OF BEHIND

GIVE THE GOLDEN GIFT
A DEEP REVELATION
OUR EYES WIDE OPEN

SHAPES TO TESSELLATE
WITH SACRED GEOMETRY
AN EMPIRE TO BUILD

A NEW PERSPECTIVE
THINGS UNSEENS BUT ALWAYS THERE
A NEW DIRECTION

THE HEXAHEDRON
THE SIXTY FOUR BIT NAME OF GOD
THE POINT OF ORIGIN

A PATTERN A CODE
A DEEP UNDERSTANDING
A GATE TO THE STARS

ALL OF TIME AND SPACE
AND THE SPACE OUTSIDE OF SPACE
WHERE DOES IT END
#2TehWavyPosted 4/16/2012 3:36:41 AM
Things to consider:

- extra "S" after unseen?
- the last line isn't a haiku!
- order of big letters becomes peabauab
---
Atheists have the greatest cover of all, they insist they believe in no God yet most polls done indicate that they are actually a different sect of Muslims.
#3TehWavyPosted 4/16/2012 3:39:39 AM
Scratch that, there's a few non-haiku parts:
A deep revelation
The sixty four bit name of God
A deep understanding
Where does it end?
---
Atheists have the greatest cover of all, they insist they believe in no God yet most polls done indicate that they are actually a different sect of Muslims.
#4phort99(Topic Creator)Posted 4/16/2012 3:41:54 AM
"THE SIXTY FOUR BIT NAME OF GOD" is also eight syllables, so that breaks as well.

The places where there are little errors might be hints, they might be mistakes, or they might just be Phil not knowing how to arrange words to perfectly fit the length of the book.

I fixed a couple of what looked like typos in the transcription, so if anyone's interested here's the raw text with no corrections:

FROMOUTOFNOWHEREIMPOSSIBLEUISITORSOURBENEFACTORS WATCHINGOUERUSINTHEHIDDENFOLDSOFSPACEINFRONTOFBEHIND GIUETHEGOLDENGIFTADEEPREUEYATIONOUREYESWIDEOPEN SHAPESTOTESSELLATEWITHSACREDGEOMETRYANEMPIRETOBUILD ANEWPERSPEOTIUETHINGSUNSEENSBUTALWAYSTHEREANEWDIRECTION THEHEXAHEDRONTHESIXTYFOURNITNAMEOFGODTHEPOINTOFORIGIN APATTERNACODEADEEPUNDERSTANDINGAGATETOTHESTARS ALLOFTIMEANDSPACEANDTHESPACEOUTSIDEOFSPACEWHEREDOESITEND

Had to add spaces as the forum doesn't let you have words longer than 80 chars.
#5Takerfan182Posted 4/16/2012 4:06:50 AM
Notice how this poem:

THE HEXAHEDRON
THE SIXTY FOUR BIT NAME OF GOD
THE POINT OF ORIGIN

Is about the heart piece from the Metaton puzzle.

and this poem:

A PATTERN A CODE
A DEEP UNDERSTANDING
A GATE TO THE STARS

is about the telescope puzzle heart piece?
---
Steam and XBL: Omniscient182
PSN ID: The_Omniscient
#6phort99(Topic Creator)Posted 4/16/2012 4:10:33 AM
The second poem is a reference to the Zu's stargate.
#7KKSlayerPosted 4/16/2012 5:40:04 AM
Double meanings, likely. I definitely see how it can be a hint towards the observatory secret.
---
is a great bokstav.
#8harryh111111Posted 4/16/2012 5:47:07 AM
I really hope you're right about those poems referring to the heart pieces. They are 2 of the last 3 poems so that is the case then the very last poem must refer to the monolith. Perhaps this space outside of space refers to a real world solution one found outside of the game?
#9KKSlayerPosted 4/16/2012 5:50:58 AM
Alright, so if we take into account that those lines are indeed hints to the other two pieces, wouldn't the last line be about the monolith puzzle?

ALL OF TIME AND SPACE
AND THE SPACE OUTSIDE OF SPACE
WHERE DOES IT END

All of time and space could represent the game world, all the areas on the world map. Then there's the space outside of space. There's one area that does not appear on the world map, which is the planet beyond the stargate, this is a place outside the game world, a space outside of space.
Where does it end? At the end of the game!

Combine this with the fact that the tome is heavily focused on the stargate and the alien world, and the clear connection this has with 2001: A Space Odyssey. (I'm sorry if I bring this up alot, but that's my all time favorite movie, and I'm convinced it has relevance in solving the monolith puzzle.) Interplanetary travel to discover the secrets of the monolith, the exact same thing.

I suggest going through the stargate and looking around the place for clues.
---
is a great bokstav.
#10kodiakbroPosted 4/16/2012 6:18:28 AM
how'd you do it? :0

something interesting -- I've translated at least one of those somewhere else in FEZ; the "where does it end?" one. I think it was the giant throne? and I think there was a circle there as well? my thinking is that each verse corresponds with a location, and each location is somehow connected. we must be getting close

(this is such awesome puzzle design. when was the last time you remember spending a week on one game? on one puzzle? I'm going to be sad when this is over)