This is getting a multi-platform release on the XB360? That's not good...

#1iron_zealot7531Posted 1/7/2010 9:54:11 PM

Well that pretty much confirms my worst fears right there, this game is going to be a hella dumbed down, arcadey 'slosion fest. There simply aren't enough buttons on a gamepad to get a hardcore mech sim to work on a console, at least not without a steel battalion style behemoth of a controller.

I hope I'm wrong and that this turns out to be a great rebirth of a beloved franchise, but the fact that it's getting a 360 release tells me that this will bear little resemblance to the awesome mech sims I grew up with. I have a feeling this will wind up being Mech Assault 3.

#2iron_zealot7531(Topic Creator)Posted 1/7/2010 10:22:02 PM
'sPlosion fest
#3FenixStrykPosted 1/8/2010 12:09:03 AM
The developers have stated several times that they have no intention of dumbing down the game to launch it on the console.

In addition, there are more than enough buttons on the 360 controller if LB and RB are used as Shift/Modifier keys.
---
---
--- My word is law.
#4jaytheultimatePosted 1/9/2010 11:13:15 AM
No, this is not going to be another MechAssault fail job.
---
360 Tag: SupraNation J __ Eagerly awaiting the new MechWarrior for 360 __
#5MarfooPosted 1/10/2010 5:22:17 AM
Even MechWarrior 4 felt too arcadey for me. MechWarrior 2 will always hold a special place in my heart. Had all the right touches of realism.
#6FenixStrykPosted 1/10/2010 6:29:01 AM
^I always thought 3 was the sweet spot, although it deviated from BattleTech rules somewhat and the multiplayer balance essentially came down to "make sure you use a Strider".
---
---
--- My word is law.
#7dejavu1982Posted 1/27/2010 5:08:21 PM
well if ya dont like the sound of the game? we dont care to hear your crying :) go play a diff. game,see that was easy.
#8IRoxxorUrSoxxorPosted 1/28/2010 11:37:19 AM
Mechwarrior 4 was the sweet spot for me.

Less of a sim, but more of a game IMO.

Anyways, looking forward to this :) :) :).
---
Stop! Wait! Before you tell that poor newbie to use the search instead of just answering his question, maybe you should go outside and meet girls instead.
#9IRoxxorUrSoxxorPosted 1/28/2010 11:38:24 AM
The developers have stated several times that they have no intention of dumbing down the game to launch it on the console.

In addition, there are more than enough buttons on the 360 controller if LB and RB are used as Shift/Modifier keys.

Also, source?

Dumb****s on the Modern Warfare 2 board continued to claim that the akimbo 1887s were "WORKING AS INTENDED, INFINITY WARD SAID SO" only to have the devs say "Oh yeah, we ****ed up" and patch it. :D
---
Stop! Wait! Before you tell that poor newbie to use the search instead of just answering his question, maybe you should go outside and meet girls instead.
#10FenixStrykPosted 1/28/2010 1:14:42 PM
http://pc.ign.com/articles/100/1002164p4.html
http://pc.ign.com/articles/100/1002164p5.html

IGN: That actually brings me to my next question. As far as PC gamers were concerned, part of the appeal of controlling your mech in the MechWarrior franchise was feeling like you were in control of your mech, having access to multiple cockpit commands at one time with your keyboard and your mouse. How are you planning to keep this classic control scheme feel, and will you be adding any new elements for your mechs, especially now that you want to create this full cockpit experience?

Russ Bullock:
First and foremost, in this day and age and this time, we've all played the PC games in the past and absolutely loved them. But certainly going forward, just out of necessity and because we think we can, we're definitely very focused also on the Xbox 360. So we're very focused on the console standpoint moving forward. Now, we still need to work out a lot with our chosen publishing partner, so some of these questions will become answered, but I think that Jordan and I are in agreement that we want to make a MechWarrior game.

The MechAssault games were interesting in the role they played inside the universe for the consoles at the time, but we feel the technology is there that we can make a true MechWarrior game, a MechWarrior experience on both the Xbox 360 and the PC and not lose anything from that true MechWarrior feeling. We feel confident obviously in the PC and its control scheme that can be realized because it's been done before. But for the Xbox 360, we've spent a lot of thought and a lot of time in playing around with the controller and finding ways to give the same level of control in the way that you throttle, in the way that you turn and move, use your jump jets, and everything that gives you that MechWarrior experience that doesn't turn it into a power-up pickup sort of arcade style game. So that is something that we're spending a lot of time on all the answers aren't there yet, but we want to make a MechWarrior experience and we feel like we can do it both on the 360 and the PC.

Jordan Weisman: Yeah, if you look at the 360 controller, I think that if we empower the player to assign functionality to what is frankly an intimidating number of buttons on that controller, there's a lot of options that we can offer the player in terms of how to chain weapons, assign coolant or other components of the information warrior part to different parts on the controller as well as making the controller modal if we need to. I think the key thing is having a ramp where a more casual player isn't overwhelmed with the control surfaces and unable to have a great time playing this thing. It's really got to go from arcade level controls to simulation level controls in an elegant unfolding of functionality. When people start, they need an entry point to be successful and have a great time without needing to have memorized lots of different controls, but you need to have it unfold for advanced players who want to micromanage.

---
---
--- My word is law.
More topics from this board...
downloading this game nowDarkneo2017/9 4:50PM