Best free starter hero

#1FamdamamdamamPosted 5/30/2013 3:16:45 AM
If someone wanted to play this game for free which starter hero would you recommend that doesn't bore him to tears in the first 10 levels and is capable enough for both AoEing down all the packs of mobs they throw at you as well as doing decent single target during a boss fight?

I'm 99% sure already that all the starter heroes are terrible compared to the paid ones but is it possible for someone to have a good first impression of the game with a starter hero and not feel completely gimped or forced to spend money to have fun?
#2DCGothPosted 5/30/2013 3:56:37 AM
Scarlet Witch has decent AoE. I haven't played her on higher levels though, just up to about level 15 in CB and just through the opening in EA.
---
I would rather have a beer bottle in front of me than a pre-frontal lobotomy
PSN & Steam - DCGoth; XBL - Kyuuketsuki99; 3DS - 2793-0855-5990
#3BatenKalasPosted 5/30/2013 4:43:56 AM
Scarlet Witch is the only starter hero I haven't tried. Of the other four, I found Hawkeye to be the most enjoyable. He seems to have REALLY nice single target DPS, but he seems to lack good AoE.
---
The Review Depot - http://reviewdepot.net
#4SeraphOfAwesomePosted 5/30/2013 6:27:30 AM
All five are good in the right circumstances. Thing is a great tank. Daredevil is a strong melee choice. Storm is a lot of fun, not sure on her power level as I only played her to 10 or so but most of her lightning moves hit hard and her various wind moves give her a lot of control. Scarlet Witch has amazing clearing power with her AoE, but has a rough time against bosses. Hawkeye is the quintessential boss killer, but does suffer from the aforementioned lack of AoE. They're all enjoyable. If you group for bosses Scarlet is probably the fastest leveler, if that's an issue. Don't forget you get another random starter after beating the tutorial level, and one more after beating Doom, so even if you don't want to spend a cent it's pretty easy to get 3/5 of the starters without depending on lucky drops.
#5RDMCLEODPosted 5/30/2013 8:11:20 AM
I got daredevil to 25 and in the begining I found him kinda weak but after around level 15 or so he seemed to do decent damage. I did all the boss fights up to Sauron and the only one that was hard with Daredevil was Kingpin (you will see when you get to it) and despite being a bit squishy, I just made sure I had enough health packs to outlast the boss.
---
PSN: Makaveli13
Origin: Junghova
#6jubjub_28Posted 5/30/2013 8:57:44 AM
If someone wanted to play this game for free which starter hero would you recommend that doesn't bore him to tears in the first 10 levels and is capable enough for both AoEing down all the packs of mobs they throw at you as well as doing decent single target during a boss fight?

I'm 99% sure already that all the starter heroes are terrible compared to the paid ones but is it possible for someone to have a good first impression of the game with a starter hero and not feel completely gimped or forced to spend money to have fun?

Then you would be 100% wrong. They compare favorablely to the paid heroes.
---
I played and loved every second of METAL GEAR SOLID 4.
Problem?
#7DarkVicePosted 5/30/2013 9:00:44 AM
I can't speak for the other heroes, but I can say that both Hawkeye and Storm can be very powerful. There really isn't much of a correlation between hero price and "quality." For instance, Iron Man, one of the most expensive heroes, is extremely weak and gimpy (at least as of a patch or two ago).
#8RokokoPosted 5/30/2013 10:17:35 AM
For those specifications I'd say Storm. She gets a good AOE at 6. Not what I use with her but the damage/radius/stun are nice. She also gets her best movement power at 2 that can also function as AOE but most importantly for me makes her gameplay feel a lot more dynamic. Her basic also has some minor AOE on it as well. On top of that, we were told towards the end of beta that she has some big (positive) changes coming so she's a solid pickup at this point.
#9DoctorDoom80Posted 5/30/2013 11:20:55 AM
Hawkeye is probably the most popular of all of them.
---
Battle.net Tag (Diablo III): DoctorDoom#1357
D3 Profile: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/DoctorDoom-1357/
#10FryobvPosted 5/30/2013 12:27:39 PM
1 person barely mentioned thing?

Thing.

he is 1 of the most powerful characters in the game. leveling is so easy with him, and end game is pretty easy too.

level up his right click move he gets at the start. you'll 1 shot so much stuff at range, and its aoe(narrow, but u will kill rows of mobs pretty easily.

it really isnt even close, when i say thing, im talking as is, he is probably a 9-9.5 out of 10 hero right now.