Level A3A-3 (ambient path) is impossible ...

#1ButtercupSaiyanPosted 8/22/2009 8:26:22 PM
If someone beats it, let me know. I've tried about 398 times, and I have to keep on randomizing ... I still haven't done it.

Aren't there any valid cheats for this? Some of the levels are too "fine" and slowing down/speeding up doesn't work well on my computer ... it either goes way too fast or too slow. I wish there was a pause button and a draggable handle I could use to adjust it.

I know, I know, I should just give up and try another path but antimatter kicks my ass. It's so "twitchy" on those levels. It's not that I'm not patient, it's just that I'm so patient, there's nothing else to absorb left after I'm done waiting for the impasse to clear. :)

In some ways, both the spore cell level and fl0w had a lot more strategy involved. I wish there were parts or something besides just ... eating. Like if you could form a chemical bond with another cell. Or am I not far enough into Osmos yet?
---
< Mink> i has a doughnut
< RAEG> I don't think you have a doughnut. Enjoy your hand.
#2ButtercupSaiyan(Topic Creator)Posted 8/22/2009 9:30:48 PM
For that matter, when I restarted, I found out that it doesn't remember any sublevels of the world that you're on. So, basically, when one level takes greater than an hour, and there's three more like it ... well, sorry if you have to close the game out ... I kept on searching for the "save game" option in the ESC menu, imagine my surprise when I didn't find one!

I wasted my money on it. There's so much that could be done with it to improve the overall games, I should have waited for a second or third version...
---
< Mink> i has a doughnut
#3RenboyPosted 8/23/2009 6:56:32 AM
You can actually access sub levels - if you point your mouse over a world blob (in the menu) - you'll see 3 or 4 smaller blobs attached to it from below - press on any one of these to start from that sub level.

You are right about the difficulty level though - almost all the levels are very easy - and then you have a couple of very hard and long levels (yes epicycles, I'm looking at you) - that seem more of a chore then fun to play...
#4medeepbluePosted 8/23/2009 8:02:16 AM
As you said, you are too patient.

The game itself is deceptively deep. On levels such as A3A-3, several factors are quite important:

- In the game, there is a balance between big and small bubbles (for lack of a better word). Given that all of the bubbles are moving, this means that, theoretically, all of the bubbles will merge into one in time. Over time, the average size of a bubble will increase. The size of your bubble will as well, but the amount of bubbles available for absorption will decrease if you do nothing. Yet, if you absorb fast enough, the percentage of available bubbles wuill increase. This is why the end of most levels is quite easy.

- When a bubble absorbs another, there is always a moment where the one being absorbed passes your size. At this moment, you can "steal" the smaller bubble. This is useful, but mostly if both are moving slow, otherwise you could be absorbed or not have the time to react.

Tips:

- Restart the same level (Alt-R) a few times. Try a few different paths, or try to get one path just right. If no good path emerges, randomize (Alt-Z )

- Be quick! But don't overdo it. Going too fast will get you killed or unable to pick-up bubbles because you miss them. But try to be as fast with eating as you can.

- Try stealing half-eaten bubbles from others.
#5MantikorePosted 9/7/2009 11:34:03 PM
the A3 Levels wasnt that hard actually. but i have heaps of trouble on the F3 levels

i find it helps to zoom out so you can sort of plan a path of where to go.speed is of the essence here
---
bbs.zoklet.net
#6AlexTheGreyWolfPosted 9/13/2009 8:02:35 AM

Mantikore posted...
the A3 Levels wasnt that hard actually. but i have heaps of trouble on the F3 levels

i find it helps to zoom out so you can sort of plan a path of where to go.speed is of the essence here
---
bbs.zoklet.net

I'm stuck on F3A-3, that level is IMPOSSIBLE. I can get the first bubble, but the second one is too far. I've even tried randomizing the level about a thousand timesbut I have yet to come to a situation in which the first two bubbles are close enough to each other.

#7ButtercupSaiyan(Topic Creator)Posted 9/16/2009 6:41:32 AM
I found Osmos to be too finicky, though I did finish it finally and I did not get a sense of satisfaction but "that's it?" It's over already?

I moved on to World of Goo and wow, that blew me away.

I really wish the PC version of fl0w was the full version, I beat it twice in the SWF form but when I read about the PS3 one, I wish that I could see the expanded gameplay. Do you think they'll release a commercial port of it?
---
< Mink> i has a doughnut
#8olyonPosted 9/16/2009 7:19:30 AM

AlexTheGreyWolf posted...

Mantikore posted...

---
bbs.zoklet.net

I'm stuck on F3A-3, that level is IMPOSSIBLE. I can get the first bubble, but the second one is too far. I've even tried randomizing the level about a thousand timesbut I have yet to come to a situation in which the first two bubbles are close enough to each other.

i socond that A3 levels were not difficult, IMO they where the most relaxed and beautiful.

The F3A3 is "impossible" indeed... if completed are there any bonus levels?