For newcomers, this game is PAY TO WIN

#1flairePosted 4/16/2013 7:27:37 PM
I just need to prep you before you spend any of your time or money on this game.

Your stats and dmg and gear improve by acquiring points. You get some from playing matches and you get some passively from having an account.

Peeps that want an advantage over you can just pay to have major improvements from the first day.

There is no balance in this game. Veterans or peeps that have paid to win will have HUGE advantages over you. You are mostly there to be farmed.

It is an OK game but this F2P microtransaction part is straight out of an MMO and makes this FPS quite tired after a very short play session.

Just try it without spending anything and you will see.

Developer also made the gear disposable every time you die unless you buy some insanely expensive permanent gear. So many money and time sinks in this.
---
So many games......So little time.......
#2darthsniderPosted 4/16/2013 9:22:32 PM(edited)
Or..play smarter? You don't have to engage every red dot you come across.

Standard level scout suit, complex shield extender...the rest of the gear is militia level. I s*** you not I'm killing advanced heavies with this setup due to flanking/positioning.

Honestly, I've had my character for several months with a few million skill points and way more ISK, and the loadout I'm having the most fun with is pretty much all starter gear.

But yeah, paying money to be able to use a gun a week earlier than you would normally is a huge advantage. Right.
---
PSN: Darth_Snider
#3JitawaPosted 4/16/2013 9:46:45 PM
I wouldn't call it pay to win, but the game is unforgiving to new players. Even "paying" for whatever won't fix that really. You can use "real money" bought versions of items slightly earlier than the in-game stuff, but it won't magically give you the skills to equip everything. The stuff you can get "early" is just as disposable as everything else. The "real-money" items that are permanent are the lowest quality available.

Also, you'd still be at a disadvantage to older players because the skills you can slightly skip item-wise with "real money" also provide passive bonuses you'd lack, and it goes without saying you wouldn't have the experience in-game or know the relative strengths of different items as a new player.

The largest issue though is the high level players in better gear (typically not "real-money" either, you can see the names of the weapons that kill you) will not only have a gear edge and an experience edge, they'll also be organized and relentlessly crush the opposition.

A brand new player will lack skills, gear, and knowledge about the levels - and likely be entering battles solo without a means to communicate with his/her team (they likely won't have mics). They'll get attacked by well-oiled squads of max-gear, veteran, players at the same time. They'll die before they get shots off.

If their team gets redlined, then a new player may very well be getting ganked as they spawn. They'll be left with the option of staying on the MCC, or getting killed immediately when they leave (as they fall from the sky or moments later).

So, yeah. The game has issues. And it screws over new players. Pay to win isn't really the problem though, real money has a minor impact on things.
#4Lum_the_MadPosted 4/17/2013 12:12:57 AM
You can pay to get more SP, but even that isn't too much of a gain. The active booster gives you like an additional 90k a week, with a little extra change if you keep playing after the weekly cap. The passive booster is below that, something like 80k. Other than that nothing really helps to much that you can pay for.

Sure you can get a Aur varients of things a little earlier than if you had the SP, but with the horrible death rate of the game it would be a huge waste of money. On average you can expect to die at least 5-10 times a match. Far as I know if your team loses a match but you don't die you still lose everything you had equiped. It's what i've been told anyways, i've yet to really try it out recently.

The best use of Aur, other than boosters, is perhaps buying blueprints to save Isk. The thing is you can generally only get blueprints of milita gear, some of the worst and CHEAPEST stuff in the game. A blueprint of a milita nanohive cost something like 6,000 Aur, enough Aur to get like a 3 day booster, and 1k short of a 7 day. All for an item that normally cost 450 isk, not thousands but a flat 450 each. Your not saving any real money that way.

Honestly the best way to save some cash are the starter suits that you get for free that have pretty much something in every slot, for free. You can customize a few things and leave the rest as they are. This saves you a ton of money.

I can earn a few kills and any where from 500-1000wp easily with gear that cost 20k or less each, some of them less than 2k. Know your limitations and stick with a group of people. Even if your not in a squad it pays to be around other people. This game is all about conentrated fire, killing people before they can kill you. Even the best heavy suit is pretty much tissue paper under concentrated fire from 2-3 people.

It might also help if you avoided doing regular ambushes. Their the least forgiving of all the maps available to new players. Ambush OMS and Skirmish matches at least give you more tactical choices, resupply and cover to work with. Ambush matches are a killing field, even without the random death spawns like they used to have.
---
"That is not just scraping the bottom of the barrel, that is lifting the barrel up and poking some of the slimy sludge growing underneath the barrel."
#5Poultrygeist13Posted 4/17/2013 10:15:44 AM(edited)
flaire posted...
Just try it without spending anything and you will see.

I haven't spent a dime on this game yet I'm regularly top 3 in every match (No, I don't use proto gear either. I rarely even use advanced). I'm also far from the only person capable of this.

You probably just need to take the time to get a feel for the game.

Edited to not sound so a-hole-ish...
---
I guess it all depends on which voice you're trying to hear.
#6PokeLord473Posted 4/17/2013 10:49:22 AM(edited)
"It is an OK game but this F2P microtransaction part is straight out of an MMO and makes this FPS"

Yea, it's like CCP thinks this is a MMOFPS or something. Wait, it is. Imagine that.

- I've spent $30 on this game and I'm waiting for Dust to be closer to a full-on game before dropping the other $30.
---
Dust 514 One Universe // One War
Proud member of ZionTCD http://ziontcd.enjin.com/
#7Lum_the_MadPosted 4/17/2013 10:58:00 AM
I"ve spent 19.99 on this game, basically I bought the merc pack back when Sony was having that speciall of spend $50 and get $10 back. I needed something to push my amount over the next hump and the I don't regret it. You get a free scout suit blueprint, that kind of sucks imo, and the Toxin sub machine gun blue print. It's the same as the milita SMG, except it has the CPU and PG cost of the normal gun. You get a handful of consumable items that don't really matter in the long run but the big thing is a 30! day active booster and 40k Aur.

I've yet to spend any my Aur because there is just nothing I want yet and my 30 day booster is still going. Frankly if you want anything at all for money the Merc pack is the way to go currently. The thirty day booster alone is worth the money, add to that you get enough Aur to buy another 5 weeks of boosters, more or less. Thats a lot of SP for 19.99 eventually.

If you compare that to buying straight up Aur I am pretty sure the merc pack is a better deal, if you just want to spend it on boosters.
---
"That is not just scraping the bottom of the barrel, that is lifting the barrel up and poking some of the slimy sludge growing underneath the barrel."
#8JitawaPosted 4/17/2013 8:42:58 PM
Lum_the_Mad posted...
I"ve spent 19.99 on this game, basically I bought the merc pack back when Sony was having that speciall of spend $50 and get $10 back. I needed something to push my amount over the next hump and the I don't regret it. You get a free scout suit blueprint, that kind of sucks imo, and the Toxin sub machine gun blue print. It's the same as the milita SMG, except it has the CPU and PG cost of the normal gun. You get a handful of consumable items that don't really matter in the long run but the big thing is a 30! day active booster and 40k Aur.

I've yet to spend any my Aur because there is just nothing I want yet and my 30 day booster is still going. Frankly if you want anything at all for money the Merc pack is the way to go currently. The thirty day booster alone is worth the money, add to that you get enough Aur to buy another 5 weeks of boosters, more or less. Thats a lot of SP for 19.99 eventually.

If you compare that to buying straight up Aur I am pretty sure the merc pack is a better deal, if you just want to spend it on boosters.

If you have playstation plus, you can get that starter pack for free I think too (which has the Exile). The gamestop version of the Merc pack (same cost) comes with a slightly different SMG blueprint. The Exile, SMG blueprint, and Dragonfly are basically Standard or Tier 1 items (just above Militia). Those make great and relatively effective little money-savers (isk anyhow). I like those BPO items not just because they save you in-game money, but also because you don't have to worry about restocking - you can have a better-than-start fit that's always good to go.

I think anyone that buys the Aurum suits for early access/slight edges is being somewhat silly. It's not the edge you might think (for the reasons I stated earlier), but you'd actually be losing real money with all the deaths you have too. Some deaths you can't prevent (orbitals for example).
#9IamI3rianPosted 4/18/2013 3:19:33 AM
Never spent a dime. = )

Yeah, knowing what you're doing is worth a lot more than Aurum can buy you. Having a squad with a clue helps a ton too.

Seriously. Try it. Group up with the same guys a lot. You'll do a LOT better than the bluedots.
---
Remember: IamI3rian told ya.
OSG-> Best corp in Dust.
#10flaire(Topic Creator)Posted 4/18/2013 3:47:14 AM
great comments

Just want peeps to know what they are getting into. It is very easy for someone new to dump a bunch of money on the upgrades and gear before playing it much. It is an addictive option.

Play the game without spending anything for quite a while to see if it is your cup of tea.
---
So many games......So little time.......