Regular pistol vs Flaylock

#1highsummoner1Posted 6/11/2013 10:18:32 AM
Is there any reason at all to use a regular pistol instead of the flaylock? Flaylock doesn't even require a direct hit; you just need to hit by their feet and the damage done is likely higher (confirm) than the a pistol of equal level. And I'm sure most of us will agree that the flaylock, particularly the 'core flaylock' is way overpowered. It might as well be a mass driver for your sidearm slot. What is the best sidearm to use? I would think flaylock for reasons I just mentioned. SMGs are just so-so, militia SMG being the worst gun in the game.
---
"Ye shall be as gods"
#2Realtalk_CloverPosted 6/11/2013 11:43:47 AM
Flaylock pistol is basically a better mass driver, its kind of sad.

Scrambler pistol however is quite good, as you level the skill up you get a bigger clip, which makes a HUGE difference. The headshot multiplier on scrambler pistol is something like 4.5x, so you are looking at somewhere in the ballpark of 350+ damage on a headshot. If you are good at scoring headshots you can start killing people in 2-3 shots, even heavies.
#3Lum_the_MadPosted 6/11/2013 11:57:05 AM
The flay lock is a good finishing weapon but like other explosive weapons it's pants VS shields and most people run shields now. I'm pretty sure it does half dmg to shields like the mass driver, but I could be wrong. The main problem is you only have 3 shots, if you hit with every one of them you should kill most people, if you miss however you're pretty screwed.

The main problem is it has very little range, is hard to be accurate with if your moving and your target are moving. Plus a 1-2m blast radius is not a lot. If you want to use them I would say it's one those skills like the Mass driver where you have to go all out into it. You can't just put a few SP into it and call it good. You need to max skills to get a bigger blast radius and a faster reload, because your going to be doing that A Lot.

Over all my favorite side arm is the sub machine gun. It's a great finisher and with it's high rate of fire it's easier to hit those fast moving bunny hopping scouts with.

Unless it's been patched though one huge advantage to the flaylock though is it's very low cost. I considered it at first on my logi to save points for equipment slots but decided against it after trying it out on a new character. Which is what I suggest you do, make a new character and spend your first 500 points all on the flay lock to try it out.
---
"That is not just scraping the bottom of the barrel, that is lifting the barrel up and poking some of the slimy sludge growing underneath the barrel."
#4EX_BortthogPosted 6/11/2013 12:42:20 PM
Swaglock requires aim and the ability to lead a target, Pistols don't

Swaglocks make 99% of Scouts and 60% of militia assault suits vanish on a single hit a prototype, Pistols requires you headshot to do that

I use Swaglocks myself and enjoy them but its your call
---
#1 Cactus
#5Toho2Posted 6/11/2013 1:58:15 PM
I just want to see more Scrambler Pistol rather than all these SMG's.
---
-I like explosive stuff and to set things on fire!-
#6darthsniderPosted 6/11/2013 5:43:16 PM
EX_Bortthog posted...
Swaglock

why. lol
---
PSN: Darth_Snider
#7EX_BortthogPosted 6/11/2013 6:30:02 PM
why. lol

You know you are calling it that now :P
---
#1 Cactus
#8DrunkenJinPosted 6/14/2013 5:59:20 AM
Flaylocks and scramblers require some skill to use and really need the sp investment to make them good. But once you do, they are beastly weapons.

SMG on the other is a weapon that you don't need to invest to at all. I use one right now, with only 1 point in the initial skill and one for dispersion.
---
XLB: CodyBlues. Dust 514: Cody Seitz message me in game anytime and for help if you need it. Tritan-industries
First person to get it- Azrahai