sniping help

#1deadly_shotzPosted 7/25/2013 10:28:16 PM
i cant seem to hit moving targets with a sniper rifle. sometimes its predictable like a jump or crouch but sometimes its hard to tell like when they see you and then you have to move.
---
---I am the shadows. fast, and unnoticed. can i apply as an assassin?
#2Lum_the_MadPosted 7/26/2013 12:01:26 AM
As you skill up into the sniper riffle the scope sway goes down. This mostly happens when you first bring the riffle up. Other than that it's about predicting were they are going to go, and accounting for the delay between when you fire and when the bullet will hit. Mostly though it's about using mouse and keyboard if you want to be a really good sniper. It's hard to be percise with the ps3 controller if your target's running and jumping around.

If all else fails, pick easier targets. The easiest people to snipe are other snipers, they tend not to move.
---
"That is not just scraping the bottom of the barrel, that is lifting the barrel up and poking some of the slimy sludge growing underneath the barrel."
#3deadly_shotz(Topic Creator)Posted 7/26/2013 1:01:36 AM
thats true, but even then, some sniper rifles are powerful but have a slow fire rate, so when they notice they are hit by a sniper, they run for the nearest cover. same thing with other snipers, because sometimes headshots dont kill them, but does so much damage that they run. what do i do then?
---
#4Lum_the_MadPosted 7/26/2013 10:30:18 AM
I usually like the weapons with the slower rate of fire because it's pretty hard to get several shots at some one who's moving. For the most part you want to do as much dmg as possible in a single shot, and try to aim for the upper body and hope for a head shot. You won't be able to kill everyone but you should get a kill assist at least if your firing into a combat situation.

Another easy way to get kills is try and target people who are already dmg by some one else and just finish them off. Most people would recomend dmg mods, and they do help to some degree at killing your enemies in one shot. Though I would only really use them if your in a very safe place. To me survivablity is more important than killing others and I usually like to have shield extenders more than dmg mods. With about 300 shields you can survive at least one shot from any other sniper, allowing you to duck behind cover and kill them once your shields recover.
---
"That is not just scraping the bottom of the barrel, that is lifting the barrel up and poking some of the slimy sludge growing underneath the barrel."
#5deadly_shotz(Topic Creator)Posted 7/26/2013 8:06:33 PM
your advice was helpful but now do i prevent counter snipes?
---
#6deadly_shotz(Topic Creator)Posted 7/26/2013 8:08:03 PM
your advice was helpful but noe i need tactics for avoiding being counter sniped.
---
#7EX_BortthogPosted 7/26/2013 9:43:52 PM
Few tips:

First and foremost, don't be a known sniper. I know you're reading that going "wait wuuuuuuuuut?" but its actually the #1 most effective counter sniping technique PERIOD.

I'm not saying "Don't snipe", rather don't snipe to the point you join a lobby and people go "time to get my sniper". Do other things and don't rack a ridiculous kill set and your less likely to be immediately countered

Secondly: don't. sit. ******. still.

#1 sniper killer, and oddly snipers don't understand this AT ALL and believe going to the same spot works.

Third, don't miss. #2 killer of a sniper is missing and alerting people to your general direction

Fourth: If you need to drop equipment, put it out of immediate view, or if possible out of awkward view too. Seeing a hive/uplink is a great distraction for you if you put it far enough away so your actually FACING the hive/uplink on a different hill
---
#1 Cactus
#8Lum_the_MadPosted 7/27/2013 8:34:28 AM
Yeah don't always go for the kill shot. Random shots that do some dmg is unlikely to be noticed in a gun fight. Getting kill assist every once in a while instead of kills helps. Kill assist keeps your name and weapon out of the kill log, preventing people knowing that they are getting sniped as easily. Firing into a fire fight is also another nice tip. If your snipe people running across an open plain with no other obvious source of fire your more likely to be noticed.

Another big tip is if your not in a super secure location, aka behind the red line, on top of a building etc watch your equipment. Nano hives and the like are not only highly visisble from a distance, they have a rather high scan profile. A lot of drop suits just have to walk within 50 meters of a nanohive for it to turn up on their mini map, totally giving away your postion in many cases.

Last tip is a bit of a mixed bag. Sniping in groups helps ensure you kill your targets, especially the proto level ones. On the other hand a lot of snipers in roughly the same spot draws way more attention and makes it more likely people will go out of their way to kill you guys. To this end it kind of makes drop uplinks a bad idea in many cases. Sure it makes getting back to your spot easier if you die but it also allows random blue berries to your location as well. Not to mention abusing the 'don't stay in one spot' rule.

Rarely is it a good idea to go straight back to the spot you died at any ways. If you do use uplinks put them a bit off of were you want to snipe from and walk the rest of the way. Perferably in such a way that you have several different good spots to snipe from within walking distance.
---
#9EX_BortthogPosted 7/27/2013 10:42:13 AM
A lot of drop suits just have to walk within 50 meters of a nanohive for it to turn up on their mini map, totally giving away your postion in many cases.

This shows that you have HORRIBLE situational awareness

You can see nanohives up to 200 meters away with any gun :/

I know my buddies think I have bad situational awareness myself but its more about priorities, which if I'm chasing someone while my buddies following I'll ignore that guy to my right usually because I trust my buddy
---
#1 Cactus
#10deadly_shotz(Topic Creator)Posted 7/27/2013 2:04:30 PM
but what if someone sees me about to snipe somebody and takes my sheild away
---