Is this game active and should I get it?

#1StarlessShadowPosted 12/7/2013 10:36:40 PM
Being bored with the games I had so I looked on the PS store to see if there was anything there.Saw this game free to play looked up on the game seeing it getting mix reviews should I get it or pass it?
#2BigBOO2UPosted 12/8/2013 9:34:39 AM
Here's a thought:

Since it is free, why don't you try it out and see for yourself? I feel that is exceptional for a free game. You do not have to spend a single dollar to enjoy it, and while the community unfortunately seems to slowly grow smaller, there are always matches to be found and several thousand loyal players
---
Who knew that failing to put a "?" at the end of a sentence will bring down the wrath of the Mods on you for "Trolling" ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
#3StarlessShadow(Topic Creator)Posted 12/9/2013 5:24:24 AM
BigBOO2U posted...
Here's a thought:

Since it is free, why don't you try it out and see for yourself? I feel that is exceptional for a free game. You do not have to spend a single dollar to enjoy it, and while the community unfortunately seems to slowly grow smaller, there are always matches to be found and several thousand loyal players

I just wanted a simple yes or no answer from people who have played the game I want to hear their thoughts.
#4BigBOO2UPosted 12/9/2013 6:09:46 AM
StarlessShadow posted...
I just wanted a simple yes or no

Yes.
---
Who knew that failing to put a "?" at the end of a sentence will bring down the wrath of the Mods on you for "Trolling" ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
#5StarlessShadow(Topic Creator)Posted 12/9/2013 8:54:36 AM
BigBOO2U posted...
StarlessShadow posted...
I just wanted a simple yes or no

Yes.

Thank you.
#6Realtalk_CloverPosted 12/9/2013 4:38:22 PM
If this was a $60 game, i would say no, but it is free so i encourage you to at least try it.

Just dont expect to be competitive until you have spent 3 months or so grinding to unlock good gear.
#7StarlessShadow(Topic Creator)Posted 12/9/2013 11:40:02 PM
Realtalk_Clover posted...
If this was a $60 game, i would say no, but it is free so i encourage you to at least try it.

Just dont expect to be competitive until you have spent 3 months or so grinding to unlock good gear.

Thanks it dose look like something I would enjoy.
#8obliviondollPosted 12/10/2013 11:20:23 AM
Is the game active? Yes, but a lot of AAA titles have larger playerbases. I'm intermittent at best in my playtime on the game, because I'm juggling quite a few games at once, but whenever I pick it up, there are always people active.

Should you get it? Yes. For the amount of content, it takes up a fairly small amount of your HDD, and it's free. The paid content can help you level up faster, or gets you early access to items you'd normally need to level up to use, but it isn't a pay-to-win system. The gear you buy with real money is functionally identical to the equipment available with the standard in-game currency.

There are 3 ways to use real money in DUST 514:

1. Most items in the game are referred to as "BPCs" or "blueprint copies" - these are single-use items. If you die with that item equipped, it's gone (you can use up all of the item in your loadout and not lose it if you survive, though). When you're creating a loadout for your character, you don't buy one of each item and expect it to last forever, you buy stacks of items - many players buy upwards of 50 at a time. The way around this is with "BPOs" (blueprint originals). These items cost Aurum (AUR), a currency which is only available via real money payments on the Playstation Store. Instead of being used up, BPOs are infinite-use items. You can equip one on your suit, and it will always be there, no matter how often you die in that suit. There are limitations - with the exception of a handful of unique Dropsuits, and some gear that comes with the game's package deals, these items are almost exclusively "Miliita" variants - this is the lowest tier item available in the game. Even the few non-MLT items are only Standard level, which is a very small step up from the Militia model.

2. Skill Boosters - While you play DUST, you have 3 ways of gaining "skill points" to upgrade your character. 2 of these can be used in conjunction with a "Skill Booster" to speed up your character's growth, allowing you earlier access to high-level gear. The one method of SP earning which doesn't benefit from a Booster is the daily sign-in bonus. Pretty self-explanatory, every day you sign into DUST, you get awarded a small amount of SP. Signing in on consecutive days will result in larger rewards each day. You also have passive and active SP that can be collected. Passive SP can be assigned to one character per PSN account, and will just accumulate at a steady rate, regardless of whether you're online or not. Active SP is earned during battle, and awarded at the end of a match. Both of these methods of SP gain can be increased by Boosters, which you buy with AUR. They are also bundled with some DUST content packs, along with some unique items.

3. AUR variant items. These are pretty much identical to the regular model of the item in question, INCLUDING the single-use restriction. The advantage is that they have lower skill requirements than the model you can buy with the in-game ISK currency.
---
"I want my meals to think for myself"
#9StarlessShadow(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2013 12:00:27 PM
obliviondoll posted...
Is the game active? Yes, but a lot of AAA titles have larger playerbases. I'm intermittent at best in my playtime on the game, because I'm juggling quite a few games at once, but whenever I pick it up, there are always people active.

Should you get it? Yes. For the amount of content, it takes up a fairly small amount of your HDD, and it's free. The paid content can help you level up faster, or gets you early access to items you'd normally need to level up to use, but it isn't a pay-to-win system. The gear you buy with real money is functionally identical to the equipment available with the standard in-game currency.

There are 3 ways to use real money in DUST 514:

1. Most items in the game are referred to as "BPCs" or "blueprint copies" - these are single-use items. If you die with that item equipped, it's gone (you can use up all of the item in your loadout and not lose it if you survive, though). When you're creating a loadout for your character, you don't buy one of each item and expect it to last forever, you buy stacks of items - many players buy upwards of 50 at a time. The way around this is with "BPOs" (blueprint originals). These items cost Aurum (AUR), a currency which is only available via real money payments on the Playstation Store. Instead of being used up, BPOs are infinite-use items. You can equip one on your suit, and it will always be there, no matter how often you die in that suit. There are limitations - with the exception of a handful of unique Dropsuits, and some gear that comes with the game's package deals, these items are almost exclusively "Miliita" variants - this is the lowest tier item available in the game. Even the few non-MLT items are only Standard level, which is a very small step up from the Militia model.

2. Skill Boosters - While you play DUST, you have 3 ways of gaining "skill points" to upgrade your character. 2 of these can be used in conjunction with a "Skill Booster" to speed up your character's growth, allowing you earlier access to high-level gear. The one method of SP earning which doesn't benefit from a Booster is the daily sign-in bonus. Pretty self-explanatory, every day you sign into DUST, you get awarded a small amount of SP. Signing in on consecutive days will result in larger rewards each day. You also have passive and active SP that can be collected. Passive SP can be assigned to one character per PSN account, and will just accumulate at a steady rate, regardless of whether you're online or not. Active SP is earned during battle, and awarded at the end of a match. Both of these methods of SP gain can be increased by Boosters, which you buy with AUR. They are also bundled with some DUST content packs, along with some unique items.

3. AUR variant items. These are pretty much identical to the regular model of the item in question, INCLUDING the single-use restriction. The advantage is that they have lower skill requirements than the model you can buy with the in-game ISK currency.

Thanks for the info one of my mates has the game and he says its fun. When I get home from work going to download it.
#10carlos1879Posted 12/10/2013 6:03:32 PM
@OblivionDoll, all BPO's have been removed from the market/PS store.
---
Game of choice - Dust 514 (F2P FPS) as Medic 1879 of FORIM.
Use this link to get free stuff when creating a character https://dust514.com/recruit/YT3pDn/