CCP soon to be DUST

#1BigBOO2UPosted 4/21/2014 8:37:30 PM
I just read that CCP cancelled that other MMORPG they've been working on for 8 years, "World of Darkness" and let go another 60 some employees. I've never seen a company tease it's investors and fans for so long with so much vaporware

With their EVE subscriptions shrinking and Dust 514 an official failure (players took the "free to play" concept to heart), I see this company getting iced soon.

(Iced, get it? Cause they're in Iceland! LOL!)
---
Duck Dynasty - The epicenter of ignorance and hate in America. And bad grooming habits.
#2obliviondollPosted 4/22/2014 1:37:47 PM
"so much vaporware" = one single project being canceled.

Cool story.

Got any official reports backing those other claims?
---
"I want my meals to think for myself"
#3Waterfowl_FistPosted 4/23/2014 11:56:52 AM
My friend has been participating in EVE since its inception. From what I've gathered throughout the years, it has a hardcore fanbase that isn't going anywhere. As for DUST 514, I greatly enjoyed the game for several months in its "beta" phase, and then when it was "officially" released I personally didn't like the tweaks they made, and so left the game. Out of curiosity I loaded the game up this weekend, played around with the 12,000,000 skill points I had accrued, and had a great time. The gameplay felt closer to my original experience. Not too many games I can pick up a year later and feel excited about returning to, but CCP's model allows players to do that. Also, I am not a fan of first-person shooters, but I like DUST because of its character customization options and connection to EVE online. I think TC is being a little harsh here. And about free-to-play, after a month of getting great enjoyment out of the game I bought a $20 merc pack. It wasn't about the items---I wanted to show appreciation to the company. I'll do so again if I continue to enjoy the game. . .

Hey obliviondoll. I signed up through the recruit link you posted on gamefaqs. Are you just going to collect items off my action or can you help me find a squad? Master Chief style isn't exactly conducive for success in this game. . .
#4Who_NosePosted 4/23/2014 7:58:34 PM
I think most people, even on this board, have never heard of "World of Darkness" or knew that CCP was trying to create a second IP beyond the EVE universe.

Those that do know are familiar with year after year after year of CCP's promises of what WoD was going to be at their annual EveFest...blatant attempts to garner funding and investments by the gullible. World of Darkness, announced way back in 2007 when CCP bought the IP from White Wolf, indeed has turned out to be vaporware. Either that or CCP simply had no idea how to make a game that didn't involve space ships and clones.

CCP is widely known as the Peter Molyneux of companies; they promise the moon but deliver a moon rock. Two years after the beta release of Dust and the game is still nowhere near what they promised it would be way back in 2009. And yes, the company is losing subscribers from EVE, Dust has not produced a fraction of revenue from their FTP model that it cost to create, and they are in the middle of massive layoffs.

They made something unique with EVE, but I for one just cannot respect a company that talks this much BS and dishes out snake oil to grease their fans.
#5obliviondollPosted 4/24/2014 2:24:54 AM
Waterfowl_Fist posted...
Hey obliviondoll. I signed up through the recruit link you posted on gamefaqs. Are you just going to collect items off my action or can you help me find a squad? Master Chief style isn't exactly conducive for success in this game. . .

Add me on PSN (with mention of why) and I'll see what I can do. Most of my friends aren't really into FPS games, so I don't have much of a squad to run with at the moment. Actually, it's pretty much just me and my ex-girlfriend who play DUST these days.

And I haven't been collecting many items, you probably got more out of using that recruiter link than I did :)
---
"I want my meals to think for myself"
#6BigBOO2U(Topic Creator)Posted 5/10/2014 9:46:18 AM
DUST in the wind....
---
Duck Dynasty - The epicenter of ignorance and hate in America. And bad grooming habits.
#7BigBOO2U(Topic Creator)Posted 5/10/2014 10:07:18 AM(edited)
DUST 514 is DEAD.

CCP used the "Dust 514" portion of their EVEFEST earlier this month to promote "Project Legion", a PC only pay for play game which is basically "Dust 514." Of note however: CCP hasn't even started making that game yet. They were simply "testing the waters" to see what fan reaction would be.

Fan reaction was very, very negative.

CCP then responded that this "process" was a learning curve before saying that the design staff on Dust has been drastically cutback and no major new updates are planned for the game. Hopefully it won't be too long at this point before the remainder of CCP's ever swindling fanbase finally grow annoyed with the company's Vapor Packed promises, tired and old EVE-verse, and decide to leave New Eden behind for good.

Google "CCP, layoffs, cancelled" and see that even if those EVE fans hold true to their beloved sandbox, the space gates may just be closing anyway. CCP is a company in the process of imploding.
---
#8Realtalk_CloverPosted 5/11/2014 4:46:36 PM
I think you meant to say dwindling fanbase, not swindling.

However swindling is quite appropriate. It has come to light that they basically gave up on dust 7 months ago, and dragged the majority of the team away from dust to work on other projects. They kept it secret from the community so they could push for more microtransactions to milk what little is left.
#9BigBOO2U(Topic Creator)Posted 6/3/2014 4:59:10 AM
Realtalk_Clover posted...
I think you meant to say dwindling fanbase, not swindling.

Play on words, lol.

I actually meant both.
---