What is the difference between Napoleon and Empire?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Napoleon: Total War
  3. What is the difference between Napoleon and Empire?
6 years ago#1

Hey all,

I haven't played a TW game since Rome Total War. I missed out on M2TW and ETW, and I recently discovered this is coming out next month, so I figured i'll just wait until Napoleon Total War is released so I can purchase that instead of Empire. However, i'm wondering what themain coredifference is between Empire and Napoleon?

And please, I don't want the answer "NOTHING" from those of you who are disgruntled over the fact that Napoleon is now a stand-alone release instead of an expansion. I understand everyone who bought ETW is pissed about that, but I genuinely want to know if NTW is focusing on anything different in comparison to ETW (such as more focus on guiding the player through specific events andbattles instead of the open endedness ofnation building via thecampaign map, etc.)

What I am looking for is something where you're not so narrowlyforced into one specific path, and that's what i'm thinking this may be. I don't mind more focus on specific wars/battles, but what I AM looking for is an open ended nation/empire building experience (I guess along the lines of MTW). So can anyone tell me if NTW will feature this as well? I've heard that ETW is the game to get if that is what one is looking for.

6 years ago#2
From what I hear/see, the game focuses around Napoleon himself, with a story campaign following his exploits. But of course you can play an open ended version as either France or one of the coalition states (like Britain, Russia or whatever) and change history as you wish. It seems to be slightly more story driven than before, but its still open ended.

As far as battle game play is concerned, it seems to be largely the same in terms of weapons (or at least very similar), with some neat things added like artillery affecting the landscape and having some game play implications.
6 years ago#3
It's a jump from Rome to Medieval 2. Tactical battles remain the same, while there are massive changes in the campaign map
---
Official Iron Man of C&GN
6 years ago#4

Thanks for the response, guys. That clears up a lot.

wedgeskywalker9 posted...
It's a jump from Rome to Medieval 2. Tactical battles remain the same, while there are massive changes in the campaign map
---

wedgeskywalker9, you're saying that from Rome to Medieval 2, they made massive changes in the campaign map (diplomacy, economy, nation building, etc.)aspect of the game? If so, that is excellent. The battle system is near perfect, and I recently played the demo of ETW... very fun! The campaign map is where most of the fun is at for me, I love it.I can't wait to get to play through all the improvements and changes they've made since Rome when I get to play NTW.

A friend of mine who has played ETW has mentioned to me small things like improvements on the trade system, and new things like being able to assault small towns inbetween the major cities and such. Sounds amazing so far. What other improvements have they made?

6 years ago#5

The battle system is near perfect,

lol
6 years ago#6

call of duty posted...

The battle system is near perfect,

lol

Well... with a few exceptions. In Rome, some units would ignore commands and go off attacking units you didn't want them to. Or some units would just be daydreaming. Don't know if this is still an issue...

6 years ago#7
The changes weren't massively different from Rome to Medieval 2, but in this game they seem to be (campaign map wise). They have 3 story based campaigns, but not tutorials like in Empire, whith the last also serving as the standard grand campaign. They also expanded on the ideas in Empire - for example, while you have heard about decentralized provinces (buildings outside the capital), now if you arnt in one at the end of a turn during unfavorable conditions (summer in Egypt, winter in Russia) you take attrition damage. Diplomacy was also transformed from having to send diplomats to just hitting a button in Empire, but your options are more fleshed out now. The way you fight wars is different too - like in the era, the goal of a war is to defeat your opponents armys in the field and demand provinces/concessions instead of having to slowly take each province in a seige.

I'd go on, but I'm on my iPod and it's becomning a wall of text.
---
6 years ago#8

Empire was a nice change from MW2, but it also was buggy as hell and almost every patch seemed to break it even worse. CA still hasn't fixed it yet, so I am not going to purchase NTW until the fix ETW.

6 years ago#9
CA still hasn't fixed it yet, so I am not going to purchase NTW until the fix ETW.

You're gonna wait a long time.

Why still focus on Empire: Total War when they've already got their next cash cow in line? The most they'll do for E:TW is give you the opportunity to buy their crappy DLC. Otherwise, I don't think they'll be fixing or improving anything else.

---
Man, I hate them white knights...
6 years ago#10

vicsrealms posted...

Empire was a nice change from MW2, but it also was buggy as hell and almost every patch seemed to break it even worse. CA still hasn't fixed it yet, so I am not going to purchase NTW until the fix ETW.

while there are still bugs on game you can get rid of all campaign map crashs by simply turning off the "show enemy movement" option on the settings page,since turning that off i completed 3 campaigns with no crash's whereas before i turned the option off it happened often,usually with fleets and ports

1. Boards
  2. Napoleon: Total War
  3. What is the difference between Napoleon and Empire?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived