I think I know why they removed fire by rank...

#1jkolyaPosted 3/4/2010 6:25:01 PM

Troops fire far more frequently here now than in Empire. They don't take as long to reload.

Though I would have still liked to see fire by rank implemented, things sort of even themselves out now that troops reload far quicker than in Empire.

#2TheLastAvatar05Posted 3/4/2010 7:14:19 PM
One of the reasons why I'm against getting Napoleon. Only possible way to have both ranks fire is stretch it into two ranks deep, which, looks stupid.

---
What's so special about The Boss? She beat Jesus in an arm wrestle, that's what! -WallyFeliz
#3jkolya(Topic Creator)Posted 3/4/2010 7:15:52 PM

Yes, I agree. And sometimes that's not even possible if you're in a situation where you can't do that either because of the enemy or because there's not enough room.

#4giocarePosted 3/4/2010 8:24:12 PM
Mods exist for a reason. Go to twcenter, this has already been taken care of.
#5SharperKnivesPosted 3/4/2010 8:33:34 PM
like he said, there's a mod that puts fire by rank back in

but man, its ridiculous. battles are way, way too lethal
---
People should not fear their governments, governments should fear their people.
#6Eclipt1cPosted 3/4/2010 8:57:50 PM

It seems to be conducive to era tactics - Wellintonian defensive line or column to absorb the bullets.

#7jkolya(Topic Creator)Posted 3/4/2010 9:04:21 PM

SharperKnives posted...
like he said, there's a mod that puts fire by rank back in

but man, its ridiculous. battles are way, way too lethal
---
People should not fear their governments, governments should fear their people.

You think so? I thought it was just the artillery, but now i've been noticing WAY more casualties being inflicted (on both sides) in this compared to Empire. Seems more realistic though, but outnumbered armies rarely stand a chance. And firelock-armed citizenry is next to useless now compared to Empire as well. They break far too soon, and they suck at reloading (i'm not saying it shouldnt be like that but they're even worse than they were in Empire).

#8TheKillstarPosted 3/5/2010 1:58:09 AM
Haha, ironically, stretching your lines to 2 ranks deep is exactly how the British defeated French armies over and over again. They did it about every time they fought. Wellington was even quoted as saying, "They came on in the same old way, and we saw them off in the same old way." He was speaking of the French attacking in columns, and the British spreading into the pitifully thin 2 deep line.
#9NeninaPosted 3/5/2010 2:03:34 AM
battles are way, way too lethal

But that's what I want. What TW player doesn't enjoy a rapid slaughter in a matter of minutes or seconds? I remember one of my battles in RTW where four of my catapults caused a mass route in the center when they misfired and hit my men. I almost lost the battle because of it, but the men that were injured got what they deserved and I hope they suffered in painful agony before they died.
#10jkolya(Topic Creator)Posted 3/5/2010 5:23:45 AM

Nenina posted...
battles are way, way too lethal

But that's what I want. What TW player doesn't enjoy a rapid slaughter in a matter of minutes or seconds? I remember one of my battles in RTW where four of my catapults caused a mass route in the center when they misfired and hit my men. I almost lost the battle because of it, but the men that were injured got what they deserved and I hope they suffered in painful agony before they died.

God, i'm glad those days of artillery are gone. You'd tell your onagers to fire at the enemy 800 meters off, and occasionally the crew would encountera fewinaccurate shots that would land 50 meters infront of them instead of your target 800, and blow huge holes into YOUR front line.

Or when somehow they would launch crap well beyond their range.