Some questions about factories and army sizes

#1AndreLeGeantPosted 8/19/2010 8:59:04 PM
I've been playing a campaign as Greece and I am really at a loss as to what I am doing. I don't know how to access the building of factories. I managed it at one point, but then I guess that I built all of my allotted factories and don't know how to access more. I tried playing another campaign with Greece and, despite what technologies I accessed, I couldn't open the building of factories. How do I make factories available? Tell me what I did successfully once and can't manage again.

Also, my army size caps out at 8 and I don't know how to expand that number. It's 1870 and I still can't expand my troop sizes.
---
They should build a mosque in mecca. Right next to the dome of the rock. -- Lord Sideous
#2BraveKnightPosted 8/19/2010 9:20:31 PM
You can only build factories under a state capitalist or planned economy political parties. Under other types the capitalists build factories and railroads themselves, and you can only encourage them by ensure they have enough money for the job(although under interventionism you can build railroads and expand already existing factories).

As for your military, the number of brigades you can support is tied to the number of soldier pops you have, so try raising the military slider to encourage promotion. Be careful, though, you don't want a country full of soldiers and little else.
#3AndreLeGeant(Topic Creator)Posted 8/19/2010 9:26:56 PM
The slider for military expenditure, correct? I've had that at 100% for years without the brigade number growing.
---
They should build a mosque in mecca. Right next to the dome of the rock. -- Lord Sideous
#4TheStaticPosted 8/19/2010 11:24:47 PM
The slider for military expenditure, correct? I've had that at 100% for years without the brigade number growing.

Try using your NF points to create more soldiers.
---
Reckoner
You can't take it with you
#5AndreLeGeant(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2010 1:01:07 AM
I only have access to 1 NF point and have to use it on craftsman to try to build some sort of industry in Greece. Alas, the country's population won't improve enough to access my other available NF points. Is there a way to push population growth ?
---
#6AndreLeGeant(Topic Creator)Posted 8/21/2010 5:55:55 PM
I managed to hold out until the Ottomans ceased to be a great power and fell out of favor with Russia, then used my role in Russia's sphere of influence to hack out the Aegean islands, Dalmatia, Macedonia, Thessaly and part of Serbia. Unfortunately my country isn't totally connected, as I need a piece of Ottoman Montenegro, so I shall have to continue to militarize and wait for the Ottomans to declare war once the truce ends. Provided that Russia has my back, I should be able to continue carving at the Balkans and Anatolia. Most of the European part of the Ottoman Empire has rebelled, so they should be in a rough enough state that I can bring Greece up to Austria's borders on all sides.

Success as Greece is based far too much on luck. You need initial success with one or two factories in order to generate an income, plus a strong relationship with Russia amidst an Ottoman collapse. A strong navy helps, too, since the number of ships isn't tied to pops. Greece's position makes it easy to control the Mediterranean.
---