How do you get Gold Stars in Rock Band 3 Expert Guitar?

#1Foxhound3857Posted 3/15/2013 9:53:42 PM
Some I'm able to get easily despite missing several notes along the way, and then others I cannot get despite having absolute perfection almost all the way. I had 192k on War Pigs and didn't get it.

Is it just a cap where you have to reach a certain score cutoff? Or is there something else factored into whether or not you can get Gold Stars?
---
My Guitar Hero 3 Wii FC: 4038-8152-2179
#2C16Posted 3/15/2013 11:12:57 PM
If it's got solo(s), you're going to have to almost ace them. Otherwise, you won't make the cut. I'm sure you can Google Rock Band 3 gold star cut offs for score requirements.
#3m_robbinsPosted 3/15/2013 11:16:38 PM
Every song has a gold star cutoff. Songs with long guitar solos generally have much higher cutoffs and often require perfection.
Free Bird for example, I'm very certain it is impossible to gold star that song without getting 100% on the solo.

Generally you don't have to be perfect on most songs as long as you don't miss too much overdrive or break your combo too much.
---
"The day I listen to reviewers, is the day they stop giving terrible games like Call of Duty 9's and 10's across the board." Krauser86
#4gnbfdPosted 3/16/2013 8:07:38 AM
generally gold stars is 1.5x the score you need for 5 stars
---
http://i.imgur.com/zFyjM.png
http://i.imgur.com/Qc1lt.gif http://i.imgur.com/iThN6.png
#5CalvinCandiePosted 3/16/2013 4:04:05 PM
If you can't get a perfect solo, just forget about it. Go back to playing Lego:RB, where it makes you feel like a god with it's higher percentage scores and auto-kick for drums.
---
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdba4b2eMJ1r5k6oio1_500.gif
#6The Hulkster IIPosted 3/16/2013 4:19:32 PM
for most songs with solos you need at least at 95% to get gold stars

on long solos almost 100%
---
../|,-``\(o)_\,----,,,_
( `\(o),,_/` : o : : :o `-, And That is True!
#7Dark_Link72Posted 4/2/2013 11:32:17 AM
The Hulkster II posted...

Wait, what? If your solo percentage dips under a certain threshold it automatically disqualifies your ability to GS the song?

Is this an actual cut-off or is this a practical cut-off? Because the way I understood how GS works is that you must earn more points than if you were to 100% the song without using Overdrive.

Which meant I came to many conclusions about how to GS such as:
missing a note withing first few notes had minimal impact since the 100% ghost run you're competing against (that's how I like to think of it) wouldn't have had a multiplier, yet, anyway, so overcoming the difference could still be easily done.

Another would be that breaking your x4 combo repeatedly during an Overdrive streak while trying to compensate for broken multipliers earlier in the song ("making up the points missed") was devastating since you really do need quadruple maximum points to catch up to/pull away from the ghost run's score.

Other rules along those lines, etc.

Anyways, I thought nearly 100% solo's was pretty much essential in a practical sense, and not a literal sense, since your ghost run would 100% and x4 combo even the crazy parts, which could create a huge gap in points if you break combo many times, and will be granted maximum bonus points for 100% the song while anything less gets a much smaller bonus.

But, if you're telling me that it disqualifies you if you fail to 95% ... Well then, shoot.
---
I'm loving the shenanigans.
#8Groudon199Posted 4/2/2013 11:53:17 AM
Dark_Link72 posted...
The Hulkster II posted...

Wait, what? If your solo percentage dips under a certain threshold it automatically disqualifies your ability to GS the song?

Is this an actual cut-off or is this a practical cut-off? Because the way I understood how GS works is that you must earn more points than if you were to 100% the song without using Overdrive.

The cutoff formula for most songs is similar to the one used for RB2. The major difference is if a song has solo, the 100% bonus for each of them is added to the GS cutoff. For songs with long or many solos, not getting 100% on them might not net you a high enough solo bonus to get gold stars.