New to game: Where to find instruments? What kind? Xbox ones work?

#1QCBKoalaPosted 4/8/2012 10:33:50 PM
Just jumped on the RB3 wagon. Totally love it.
Used to play friend's RB1 all the time until the xbox broke.
But only have a guitar so far, which I got for $30 off Amazon.
I'd be looking for new instruments, because I've heard about them things breaking all the time.

Some questions:
- What instruments are compatible (the maker...) Does it have to be official RB instruments? Could I use some midi ones? Or modify real instruments to play?
- Can I use xbox instruments? (friend has guitar and drum and mic)
- Where to find instruments? And for reasonable price?
- How to connect all instruments together?

I only know to purchase off Amazon. I've stayed away from ebay since I've had a bad experience there.

Please help, thanks!
---
Meow, woof, moo, oink, quack, oh oh more oh oh baby yes!
Animal party~!!
#2BaronRobPosted 4/8/2012 11:59:02 PM
Any mic with a USB plug should work, but the rest of the instruments are system specific (at least the official ones are) and came in boxes that were color coded (PS = red, Wii = white, Xbox = green, and the cymbals came in a blue box and could work with any system). Finding the instruments (new) these days is going to be a little tougher, your best bet may be to go to the game stop website and use it to see where the nearest store with what you want is (nothing is available online). They don't seem to have the drums at all though, other than the nicer ion drums (which work as actual electric drums and are $200).

If you can find a deal on RB2 instruments somewhere, they are generally just as good, but RB1 (just plain 'Rock Band') instruments are not as good and I believe not wireless. If you get really lucky you can find a box with RB2 or the Beatles RB that has drums, a guitar, and a mic, but be careful that it is not a version with RB1 instruments. At one point those were being unloaded at good prices but last time I looked the prices were at ripoff levels from various small internet stores who had them sitting around forever and realized they were valuable with the limited supply.

The wireless receiver that comes with the RB3 and RB2 stand-alone guitars, plus the one that comes with the RB3 keyboard each has two slots to plug more USB peripherals in, so you should not have a problem. I plug the receivers for my keys and guitar in to the PS3, then 3 mics and the drums receiver into those. You can also use any item designed to plug into a USB port that offers multiple slots for other USB devices. I also have a nice PS3 stand I got off Amazon that has four USB slots and then a short cord to plug into one of the PS3 slots. Thus I can charge my controller and headset and plug in the receiver for my second guitar.

Supposedly RB3 was going to be rereleased last December with a new batch of instruments, but that never happened. The overall popularity of music games took a giant swan dive right before RB3 came out, so it does not look like anyone is really making new instruments anymore. There's always a tiny chance of something when RB Blitz comes out in the summer, but that is a very tiny chance.
---
PSN: BaronRob | Favorites: Rock Band (X Vox, Harmony | H/m Bass, Guitar | H/M Drums | M/H Keys), Grand Theft Auto, Uncharted, God Of War, Assassin's Creed
#3_Stangman63_Posted 4/9/2012 2:22:39 AM
Further to what BaronRob has stated, the "official" instrument maker is Mad Catz and they have plenty of guitars and basses from madcatz.com. They are $59.99 which is a lot cheaper than they used to be. As far as drums are concerned, it all depends on how seriously you take your drumming. If you are planning on hitting the skins as a main instrument you'd be better off tracking down the ION Drum Rocker set. I've had mine for years and they still work like new. The horrible RB official drums have all sorts of issues which only seem to get worse as you get better as a drummer.
---
I used to be indecisive... but now I'm not so sure.
#4QCBKoala(Topic Creator)Posted 4/9/2012 11:02:39 PM
Thanks for the information!
I will have to do some instrumenting hunting I guess.

Do you think connecting the instruments without a hub is a viable option? Any delays in that?

And could you tell me more about the Ion drums? I'm a bit interested. How does it work as an actual instrument? And is it a good investment over other non-gaming drums?

Is it this?
http://www.amazon.com/IED08-Drum-Rocker-Premium-Playstation-3/dp/B001E2UGVQ

Thank you
---
Animal party~!!
#5_Stangman63_Posted 4/10/2012 3:14:33 AM
Yep those are the ION drums. They are not toys but actual studio quality drum pads with the only difference being the "brain" they connect with. You can replace the PS3 brain with a MIDI standard brain to use them for recording or live performances. As far as USB hubs are concerned, there's a lot of trial and error involved since the first port of a hub will have a stronger signal than the last port and different peripherals require different power levels. For instance; my Driving Force GT wheel will not work in the last port and my regular USB keyboard will work in any port. It's just a matter of getting to know your USB hub and what order to connect your devices.
---
#6beege_manPosted 4/10/2012 9:07:48 AM
I mainly play the drums in RB and I absolutely love my ION set. If you think you're going to be playing a lot of drums, I highly recommend them. Infinitely better to play on than the RB drums and very long lasting and upgradeable as well. I've replaced my hi-hat and snare with other even better electronic drum parts from other manufacturers.

As far as a USB hub, I've never had a problem with mine. The only way I'd have enough slots is with the hub, and I've almost always got all 4 extra slots filled and never have any power or delay issues. Obviously it varies from hub to hub, but you definitely want to make sure you get a powered hub that has its own power plug.
---
266/266 5/6/4/4/3/2 H9 Pu1 Pa1 E1
HDCEA: 43/19/4/70/17 Int/MDef: 48/66
#7gerg666Posted 4/10/2012 12:04:07 PM
I was recently looking for some instruments myself. Game Stop is going to be tough to get any instruments from. I was talking with the manager of the store by me and he said they stopped carrying the instruments awhile back and once the store sold out they were gone. He checked into it for me and there were a total of 6 ps3 keyboards in a 100 mile radius, all coincidentally at his store. Not a single other instrument was available. I believe he was honest because he did go to another location for me to pick up a game so i wouldn't have to make the drive myself. Before I stray too far off topic, I had very good luck with Amazon. I got 2 new guitars at a great price and quick delivery.
#8QCBKoala(Topic Creator)Posted 4/16/2012 1:11:13 AM
Thanks for all the help guys!
Still looking around..
A lot of shops have stopped carrying instruments.

One more question for the Ion...
Does it come with its own program on the computer or something? How else would I be able to use it outside of Rock Band?
---
Animal party~!!
#9_Stangman63_Posted 4/16/2012 2:33:54 AM
The ION drums come with a brain to control them; either a PS3 or XBox 360 compatible brain. To use them outside of Rock Band requires a standard midi brain which you can buy separately.
---
#10beege_manPosted 4/16/2012 10:12:16 AM
Theoretically you can use your PC as a midi brain if you can map the PS3 brain's outputs to the right instrument sounds via some sort of program. I've played around with it once or twice, but never got it to work right and didn't care enough to try further, but I do know it's possible (but just buying a real midi brain is probably a lot easier). I did get the Ions to work in a PC version of DrumMania as well by correctly mapping the outputs though.
---
266/266 5/6/4/4/3/2 H9 Pu1 Pa1 E1
HDCEA: 43/19/4/70/17 Int/MDef: 48/66