Persona 3 FES PS2 classic next week

#1PangLaPosted 4/6/2012 9:55:30 AM(edited)
So Persona 3 FES will come out next week on the PS Store for 9.99. I never played any of the Persona games on the PS2. I'm only 3.5 hours in P3P, is it worth getting the FES and putting P3P on hold until I finish FES? Since I heard FES was the superior version.

http://www.csicon.org/persona-3-fes-hits-the-psn-next-week/
#2MorudethoPosted 4/6/2012 10:32:50 AM
P3P is an upgraded version of FES... the difference is the CG cutscene vs the Visual Novel style
#3demonsword765Posted 4/6/2012 2:58:37 PM

So Persona 3 FES will come out next week on the PS Store for 9.99. I never played any of the Persona games on the PS2. I'm only 3.5 hours in P3P, is it worth getting the FES and putting P3P on hold until I finish FES? Since I heard FES was the superior version.

http://www.csicon.org/persona-3-fes-hits-the-psn-next-week/

Unless you want The Answer (and Knock Down) for some reason I wouldn't bother.
---
Sanae - "You can't let yourself be trapped by common sense in Gensokyo, right? "
#4phatmillipsPosted 4/6/2012 9:48:37 PM
Hate to say it, FES is still the definitive version of the game. The only thing I would say you'd miss is the ability to customize your party members out of battle. In Persona 3 FES you have to add them to your group via Tartarus and then change their equipment first.

However the amount of content in the game, the bonus epilogue and the addition of cut scenes outweigh the streamline improvements in the PSP version.

Many who have only played the PSP version will say that the inability to control the other characters in battle is a deal breaker. However I disagree. Not being able to control your other characters is limiting but it urges better scanning, tactics and generally makes the game harder and more rewarding.
#5arceus_mewtwoPosted 4/7/2012 6:11:20 AM
can I play it on my psp?
---
~> GUESS this videogame character:
known as member of org.13 that specialize on fire common on kingdom hearts series
#6Safros93Posted 4/7/2012 2:49:52 PM
I have to agree, P3 FES is the definitive version. Female MC and the few extras don't make up for the lack of content.
Now, the only thing that is needed is for the Vita to have PS2 games support and I'll be able to take FES on the go (Which in my opinion is the only thing that P3P has going for it.)
And no, PSP cannot play PS2 classics
#7PangLa(Topic Creator)Posted 4/7/2012 5:14:24 PM
So should I play FES before playing P3P? Like I said I'm only 3.5 hours in P3P I don't mind stopping for now to play the PS2 version.
#8DoramiPosted 4/7/2012 5:57:31 PM(edited)
Play P3P first for the following reasons:

1. P3P's female route is an analogue to the male route. It's easier to contrast the two--the difference is not purely aesthetic--when you play both with the same version. FES's The Answer is entirely separate and need not be compared to anything.

2. P3P allows you to start NG+ and switch genders. It is then up to you whether you want to start from scratch or carry over your items and skip the dungeon crawl. If you play FES first but want to see the female route, then you have to start from scratch. FES's the Answer is entirely separate and carries over nothing. It can be played right from the beginning.

3. FES lacks a menu shortcut for traveling. You will be forced to walk across the map with your character whenever you need to get somewhere--from school to the dorm, for example. This is probably the worst interface inconvenience, but it's one of many places P3P improves upon. I don't suggest putting up with these kind of stupidity unless you are already sure you love the game that much.

4. FES lacks a direct control option. One consequence of this shortcoming is reflected in the evaluation of storyline bosses in FES and P3P: In FES, several of the storyline bosses are considered challenging. In P3P, it's the dungeon guardians that are considered challenging. The dungeon guardians are preceded by a short walk from a teleporter if you save beforehand. The storyline bosses are preceded by long cutscenes and a dungeon. P3P's direct control is a great improvement here for reasons that should be obvious.

By the way, did you start as the boy or the girl? If you started as the girl, I definitely encourage you to stay with P3P. It's quite a different view from those who first played P3 on one of the PS2 versions.
---
"She ascended the ranks of the Noxian military, but somehow missed all of the Cassiopeas, Swains, Katarinas and Urgots." - Super Explosion, Riven Lore
#9Safros93Posted 4/8/2012 10:21:12 AM
Dorami posted...
Play P3P first for the following reasons:

1. P3P's female route is an analogue to the male route. It's easier to contrast the two--the difference is not purely aesthetic--when you play both with the same version. FES's The Answer is entirely separate and need not be compared to anything.

2. P3P allows you to start NG+ and switch genders. It is then up to you whether you want to start from scratch or carry over your items and skip the dungeon crawl. If you play FES first but want to see the female route, then you have to start from scratch. FES's the Answer is entirely separate and carries over nothing. It can be played right from the beginning.

3. FES lacks a menu shortcut for traveling. You will be forced to walk across the map with your character whenever you need to get somewhere--from school to the dorm, for example. This is probably the worst interface inconvenience, but it's one of many places P3P improves upon. I don't suggest putting up with these kind of stupidity unless you are already sure you love the game that much.

4. FES lacks a direct control option. One consequence of this shortcoming is reflected in the evaluation of storyline bosses in FES and P3P: In FES, several of the storyline bosses are considered challenging. In P3P, it's the dungeon guardians that are considered challenging. The dungeon guardians are preceded by a short walk from a teleporter if you save beforehand. The storyline bosses are preceded by long cutscenes and a dungeon. P3P's direct control is a great improvement here for reasons that should be obvious.

By the way, did you start as the boy or the girl? If you started as the girl, I definitely encourage you to stay with P3P. It's quite a different view from those who first played P3 on one of the PS2 versions.

Just giving the TC a different perspective on this post.
Yes, FES has no female protagonist or some of the improvements that P3P has, but P3P feels rather watered down and it lacks the impact that FES or Vanilla can offer since P3P is pretty much a visual novel. And those improvements in P3P are exactly why I recommend FES first, it's hard going back so you might as well finish FES, to play and experience the game how it was meant to be, then go to P3P and see how the interface was streamlined and how things were changed. Starting from scratch really isn't a problem, if you want to just see the changes in the female route just play on easy.
#10ChipoftheheadPosted 4/8/2012 12:06:57 PM
does FES come to the UK psn next week as well?

i'm 20ish hrs into p3p and although i'm loving it i think i'd rather have cutscenes for my first playthrough.

if it is next week UK I'll happily start a female MC to play alongside FES, oh and my ps2 is dead so i can't play it that way.
---
PLEASE HELP MY CAUSE GO TO blog360@mail.cave.co.jp AND ASK FOR A EUROPEAN RELEASE FOR DEATHSMILES 2X I WILL BE FOREVER IN YOUR DEBT.