How am I doing so far?

#1NettoSaitoPosted 5/15/2013 6:59:14 AM
I just started Persona 3 Portable the other day after finishing Persona 4 Golden, and I'm starting to wonder if I'm actually doing things right or not. I'm not sure why, but it just seems like my characters are weaker than they were in P4G, so I figured I'd ask how you guys thought I was doing so far.

Currently I'm on 5/13, and I have just cleared the second block. Now my only option is to wait till the next full moon so I can progress. On the way to the end of the 2nd block, I really didn't run into any trouble (I was able to kill everything I ran into), but the battles did take quite a bit more planning than the first block did. On the first block I was basically able to rush kill everything, while this time that took too long so I had to use the enemies weakness to knock them all down and finish them off at once. Now I'm sure that's normal, but I wanted to make sure.

As for my character's levels....

Minato (yes I went with the manga name) is 16 (with 2 points in Academics, 1 point in everything else)
Yukari is 15
Junpei is 15

Orpheus is level 11 with
- Re Patra
- Agi
- Bufu
- Tarunda
- Garu

Lo is level 15 with
- Dia
- Patra
- Garu

Hermes is level 15 with
- Cleave
- Agi
- Re Patra
- Rakuaja

My current social links are....

Fool - 3
Magician - 2
Emperor - 4
Hiero - 1
Chariot - 4
Hermit - 4
Strength - 2

(yeah not many, but I'm still at the start of the second month so not much I can do about that.)

So, my questions are, how am I doing so far? Am I right on track, and are there any social links I should get done as soon as possible? In Persona 4 there were a few you could miss if you didn't get them done by a set month, so you had to focus on them above the others. Is that the same here or no?
---
3DS - [1203-9218-7780] | XBL - [NettoSaito] | PSN - [NettoSaito] | NN - [NettoSaito]
Netto's Game Room [News, and Reviews!] - http://www.nettosgameroom.com/
#2Duke DarkwoodPosted 5/15/2013 11:26:41 AM
I don't remember for sure, but that looks about right. Basically, if you can reach the barrier each month, you're strong enough for that month.

Regarding links: If this is your first time playing, don't obsess over maxing all links. It takes a lot of work, to the extent of following a guide schedule almost religiously, and that would plain kill the fun of a raw playthrough. (Besides, it has a NewGame+ feature, and while Link progress does not carry over, enough things do to make maxing links MUCH easier.)

Some people do suggest certain links as priorities because of the personas you can get from maxing them out. I don't remember them offhand, though, so you'll have to wait for others to post.

Your allies levels, incidentally, will always be equal to their persona's. It is only you that that is not true for. So if Yukari and Junpei are both level 15, then of course Io and Hermes will also be 15.

Yeah, Io - that's an "eye", not an "ell". I wouldn't have brought this up EXCEPT that I wasn't sure what persona you were talking about for about 15 seconds, before I thought to look up and see how it correlated with your party listing.

Anyway. You're VERY early in the game, so you look like you have nothing to worry about. Just remember what I said at the top: Each month, if you can make it to the next barrier, you're good to go. (Checkpoint bosses tend to be stronger than story bosses, by and large.)
---
"As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself." -Danilo Thann
#3terran3999999Posted 5/15/2013 7:03:07 PM
Someone asked for me?

While its not mandatory, some Social Links do have far better Persona/skills than others.

Here are the really important ones:
Empress for Divine Pillar from Alitat
Emperor for Thunder Reign(good job on focusing on that)
Sun for the Unshaken Will skill card from Asura

honorable mentions:
Magician for Ragnarok
Fortune for Phanta Rhei
Star for Morning Star/Helel
---
Katawa Shoujo: The visual novel that defies and kicks logic to the curb.
Official contender to fight for Lilly as waifu.
#4NettoSaito(Topic Creator)Posted 5/17/2013 7:49:19 AM
Well I'm on 7/9 now and my current social links are....

Fool - 4
Magician - 3
Emperor - Max
Hiero - 5
Chariot - 6
Justice - 8
Hermit - 5
Fortune - 1
Strength - 4
Hanged - 3
Death - 1
Temper - 1
Devil - 4

Are there any others I have access to at this point of time that I'm missing, and wold it be able to at least max all the ones I listed without following a guide?
---
3DS - [1203-9218-7780] | XBL - [NettoSaito] | PSN - [NettoSaito] | NN - [NettoSaito]
#5omescythePosted 5/17/2013 10:56:11 AM
you should try and get your skills to max(academics, courage, charm) as it does carry over and makes it easyer for you to a max social link run. charm is the most important for leveling up social links so you want to get that one maxed out first.

your missing sun and tower. you should be able to max out the social links you have. just be aware that you should do all your in school social links first before doing those you get outside.
#6NettoSaito(Topic Creator)Posted 5/17/2013 12:23:40 PM
Yeah my charm is one level away from being maxed, so I'm pretty close. Btw is there anything specific I have to do to get a true ending in this one? In Persona 4 Golden you had to hit level 6 with one character, level 10 with another, and say the right things on a specific day. Is there anything like that here?
---
#7wilfredaPosted 5/17/2013 1:31:01 PM
NettoSaito posted...
Yeah my charm is one level away from being maxed, so I'm pretty close. Btw is there anything specific I have to do to get a true ending in this one?

There's a very, very obvious choice later in the year. It's really obvious; the game even tells you how important it is several times. So you pretty much can't miss it and it's not tricky at all.

In Persona 4 Golden you had to hit level 6 with one character, level 10 with another, and say the right things on a specific day.

Well, technically, that rank 10 S.Link is only for the Golden ending. You can get the true ending without maxing that or getting to 6 in the other one you mention. But that's irrelevant for this discussion.
---
my Persona 4: Golden complete costume gallery: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjAyDFtL (party spoilers possible)
#8LightOfJudgmentPosted 5/17/2013 9:26:39 PM
The rank 6 with the one social link is a prerequisite for triggering the worst ending, if you so desire.
---
Awaiting/Want: Tales of Xillia
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v95/Zerus/fail2-12.jpg
#9NettoSaito(Topic Creator)Posted 5/19/2013 8:57:01 AM
LightOfJudgment posted...
The rank 6 with the one social link is a prerequisite for triggering the worst ending, if you so desire.

But if you want to max all social links it is also required. After rank 6, and after a story event, the link changes to another type and auto ranks up with the story so..... If you want to 100% it, it was a must lol
---