Stone Lantern Problem Part 2

#11Jackos12Posted 3/25/2011 6:21:27 PM

ibrake4dragons posted...
2) (using the old-school Earthbound anti-piracy method) wait until a point really far into the game, preferably the final boss fight, and THEN go with method one, deleting all the save data for the ROM up to that point in addition to telling one their ROM is corrupted

It would be pretty funny and full of win if they did this.

#12skytravelerPosted 3/25/2011 9:16:38 PM
I think they might do it that way because an immediate message would just serve as an invitation to patch it. A lot of pirate distribution is done by people who aren't necessarily going to be playing a game longer than they need to to find something that obvious, if at all.

Either way, it's far from fool-proof, but I think the whole anti-piracy movement is more symbolic than anything else; that's just how intellectual property issues are. Books and movies both experience a good deal of systematic bypasses to generating direct income from a specific customer. A lot of PC games used to reference the instruction manual to test if the player had actually bought the game, but that was always silly because copying the manual was no more difficult than copying the game. They still did it, however. Incidentally, in Ultima 7: Part II, the game DOES go berserk if you can't answer the questions you'd need the manual for and you are called out on piracy and it's made obvious and deliberately humorous.
---
"X Y is X" topics and posts should become ToU violations.
#13haedrilPosted 3/26/2011 6:41:21 AM
yeah, the way i see it 1 of 2 things happens:
either they realize whats causing it and look to see if theres a solution (and solutions always come immediately regardless of whether theres a message).
or, they dont realize whats causing it, so they think the game is glitchy and they still dont buy it because they think its bugged. Then the game starts to get a false reputation for having glitches.
Might as well come out and tell them why the game wont be progressing and try to guilt them into buying it.
#14VsinPosted 3/26/2011 12:09:45 PM
Hmmm...should I say this...yeah, at risk of getting shot I will.

Even if you trip the anti-piracy, you can still get around it. Heck, there's a universal way to do so that gets updated as more games come out. I should know since I could immediately tell that that was anti-piracy, and did some stuff to get around it >_>

So, I dunno. If you literally say "BAD PIRATE", then to the average person they'll immediately try to find a way to circumvent it. If you just glitch the game, they'll probably smash their heads against it and then probably give up, or they'll look for what causes that bug and find out that it's anti-piracy. If no fix is available, so long as the game is remotely important someone WILL make a fix for it.

Either way, it's a no-win situation since no matter what happens, the game still doesn't get sold: either the person gives up or successfully pirates.
#15Jackos12Posted 3/26/2011 12:31:23 PM

Vsin posted...
Hmmm...should I say this...yeah, at risk of getting shot I will.

Even if you trip the anti-piracy, you can still get around it. Heck, there's a universal way to do so that gets updated as more games come out. I should know since I could immediately tell that that was anti-piracy, and did some stuff to get around it >_>

So, I dunno. If you literally say "BAD PIRATE", then to the average person they'll immediately try to find a way to circumvent it. If you just glitch the game, they'll probably smash their heads against it and then probably give up, or they'll look for what causes that bug and find out that it's anti-piracy. If no fix is available, so long as the game is remotely important someone WILL make a fix for it.

Either way, it's a no-win situation since no matter what happens, the game still doesn't get sold: either the person gives up or successfully pirates.

No one will shoot you for saying that, as it is a pretty logical conclusion, but still, everyone knows that the war against piracy is pretty much lost unless an anti-piracy makes the DS of the pirate explode, which won't happen for obvious reasons. There is literally no way of beating a skilled pirate, you just delay them as much as you can.