DDO Ban Extravaganza

#1patyykakezPosted 11/9/2010 11:42:13 PM

Tonight, at least hundreds of DDO players were given warnings or outright bans for "exploits" used during the recent Mabar Live Event. However, they have given no further explanation of the offense, and many players that have been subscribing for over four years have received their first ever disciplinary action. Yes, I am among that number.

The main problem is that the emails that were sent explaining the situation were extremely vague. In fact, in the letter I received, it seemed as if the sentence that should have included the reason for the ban....simply was not there.

Now I know that I did not intentionally use any exploit during the event, and neither did my guildmates that played during that time. There is no rhyme or reason to the bannings. I was banned and spent most of the weekend alone until I popped in to fight the dragon and wound up in a random group. A friend's fiance was banned, and she did not even get a warning, even though they played together nearly every moment of the event.

Now, pardon my naivete, but was it a coincidence that toons were booted from the server 10-15 minutes after the customer service line closed? My toon was booted from the world at 8:55 EST, and Turbine's customer service closes at 8:45 EST.

Tolero, the Turbine Liason on the forums (Forum Mommy) has been doing nothing but deleting posts that mention anything about punishments or bannings and warning people of further disciplinary actions if we don't behave. BUT....she has not given the slightest clue as to what the bannings were for. I can't imagine that they deliberately created this PR nightmare, but Tolero has made nary a peep to indicate that this wasn't planned and implemented as intended.

So, for those of you considering trying DDO....see how this shakes out. There might not be anyone for you to play with after this debacle.

#2Jrg133Posted 11/10/2010 4:35:40 AM
Here is some information I found concerning the exploit:

During the event there was a known exploit. INSIDE the dragon portion, if you were to DC right after or before completion of the dragon, you could wait five minutes or so, then log back in. Upon login, you would load in a different instance. Ultimately killing a dragon in multiple instances granting you multiple scales.

Some people were unaware of this exploit, however, DC'd during the dragon and were therefore, counted as an exploiter. When they logged back in, you may have been in a separate instance and received multiple scales, or maybe you didn't receive multiple scales but still were in a new instance. As unfair as it may be, it's true. Hope this clears things up

Also I have read that even if you didnt DC during the dragon fight if you were in a party with someone who did you may have been automatically flagged as using an exploit.
#3patyykakez(Topic Creator)Posted 11/10/2010 7:13:36 AM
Well, that's just about as stupid as anything I've heard. They throw us into a party with a bunch of strangers and then if someone WE MAY NEVER HAVE SEEN BEFORE IN OUR LIVES decides to use an exploit, you ban everyone? That's like throwing the people in the bank at the time of a robbery in prison with the criminals. Makes a ton of sense.
#4Sange13Posted 11/10/2010 10:40:05 AM
Solo moar then?

Sorry to hear so many people got caught up in something like that. You should harass customer service until they restore your acct. If they won't, just post another topic in here to find out how many others had a similar experience.
---
"A darkness carried in the heart cannot be cured by moving the body from one place to another."
#5RedCoopPosted 11/10/2010 11:26:36 AM
Rumor has it that a senior Turbine employee had been fired, and that this fiasco may have been that employee's petty plot for revenge. There's also a rumor that Turbine's office building has been evacuated for some reason this morning, which is why responses are being delayed so badly.
#6dallasxxiiiPosted 11/10/2010 11:48:31 AM
So I was not one of the lucky few and now I am having to post here. Turbine is doing nothing but hiding their actions by removing any trace on the forums. So if you have also enjoyed a 45 minute hold time like I have trying to call their number "781-407-4020" only to find out that they do not know anything about it and when asked to speak with a manager informed they do not have any form of escalations. When asked for contact information for Turbine's parent company WB was lead to the Turbine contact page on there website where they said I would be able to find the phone number there. This is a blatant lie, there is not even mention of contact information for Turbine's parent company.

How ever after some serching I now have contact information for WB online entertainment and would suggest everyone contact Wendy Bozzi at 813-977-3322 who is the contact for WB Online Entertainment.
#7griffin_230Posted 11/10/2010 1:12:25 PM
"Last night, some DDO players received erroneous temporary suspensions or warnings regarding an exploit. Due to a technical issue in our exploit suspension process some players participating in the Mabar festival event were incorrectly notified of a rules violation. Any accounts that were temporarily banned as a result of this issue will have their account access restored and will be credited 100 Turbine Points. Any accounts that received warnings will have those warnings removed from their record.

This error was an isolated incident and should have no further impact for any DDO players. As always, we welcome player feedback on all aspects of DDO and continually seek to improve the quality of the service we provide to players.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience or confusion and thank you for your patience while we worked to resolve the issue."

More in this thread:
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=285262
#8Jrg133Posted 11/10/2010 1:13:44 PM
Looks like it may have been a bad technical error on the part of Turbine. This is from the DDO forums:

'Last night, some DDO players received erroneous temporary suspensions or warnings regarding an exploit. Due to a technical issue in our exploit suspension process some players participating in the Mabar festival event were incorrectly notified of a rules violation. Any accounts that were temporarily banned as a result of this issue will have their account access restored and will be credited 100 Turbine Points. Any accounts that received warnings will have those warnings removed from their record.

This error was an isolated incident and should have no further impact for any DDO players. As always, we welcome player feedback on all aspects of DDO and continually seek to improve the quality of the service we provide to players.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience or confusion and thank you for your patience while we worked to resolve the issue.'
#9zerox0409Posted 11/15/2010 10:26:14 AM
"we welcome player feedback on all aspects of DDO and continually seek to improve the quality of the service we provide to players. "

Right, that's why anything related to this fiasco in the forums was met with harsh actions and warnings.

And here's a real delight, I lost all my characters, all my content, everything in the game due to a "technical error" on their part, and I'm essentially told to suck-it-up and start a fresh account.
I asked if they could at least credit me for all the content I purchased, they said "We apologize, but unfortunately that will not be possible as all content purchased previously was tied to that single account."

I've been meaning to say this for a long time.

Turbine, DDO, and all involved in it's maintenance, **** you.
---
WarioWare D.I.Y: Connor, FC: 2708-4091-7456.
PSN: Belgedin.
#10zerox0409Posted 11/15/2010 11:05:36 AM
With that said, I continue to play, as I can't help myself with games of this type. =3
---
WarioWare D.I.Y: Connor, FC: 2708-4091-7456.
PSN: Belgedin.