Speed running tips topic (possible spoilers).

#1pokedude900Posted 10/6/2010 12:57:44 PM
As most of you know by now, there are multiple end to the game depending on your time and percent. As collecting all of the items can be time consuming, we need to save as much time as we can along the way.

For one, sliding with L seems to be significantly faster than running. This should be done whenever there is open space. Another is that it's almost always better to ignore enemies rather than fight them.

Add your own.
---
"Only 2 things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"-Albert Einstein; see my quote for discussion of both
#2NYGamer115Posted 10/6/2010 1:42:14 PM
I just completed 2 Runs so I can drop some knowledge!

1. Jump! Most enemies can easily be hopped over so instead of going for the kill, jump over and press on!

2. Magic - The 2 essential magics are the Storm Puff and the Fireball. You need these to progress further in the story. Pike Balls aren't necessary but...
----- 2a. Pike Balls - These are quite epic and will make easy work of most enemies. Be sure to Upgrade these first over any of the other magic as Super Pike Balls will make storming the Battle Tower and overworld travel so much easier!
----- 2b. Fireballs - Try not to use this magic too often as they hit only once and it takes a bit to throw it. Spitfire, a bit better if you can nail all 3 on one target. Flamethrower is actually Amazing! Multiple Hits in very little time, and you can hover in air while using it!

3. Remember the map - If you remember where you have to go and what you have to do, you can cut out large parts of travel! (Example-)
----- The 2nd section of the Lilac Fields can be bypassed by using the Warps. You'll have to travel through it once fully, then enter briefly one time for the Jam as the Elephant w/ the Stomp.

4. Hair Product - Hair Gel will make boss fights rather easier! Although it will be a bit harder to get the 2nd Gel during a run, try to get it by the 3rd Dungeon as it will make the fights from there much faster!

5. Magic Jams - If you are near an area that has a Jam and you have the means to get it, go for it quickly! Gems may be easy to come by, but Jams will help you get better items earlier!

That's a bit of what I have to offer... Oh and if you have Mighty Flip Champs!, go for the S-Rank in game as having S-Ranks will get you all 3 prizes totaling 600 Gems! That's all the Magic, The Map, and 9 Life Medicines and 9 Magic Medicines from the start!

---
XBL Gamertag - NY Gamer115
Site: http://nyassassin.deviantart.com/
#3NYGamer115Posted 10/6/2010 1:44:40 PM
Oh, and there is a way to defeat the Squid Baron in about 15 seconds! Give or Take 5 seconds! I'll keep that a secret... for now. XP
---
#4pokedude900(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2010 1:49:38 PM
Don't be like that. You're already the first one to see both speed endings. Although I've already started a speed run, and defeated Squid Baron.
---
"Only 2 things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"-Albert Einstein; see my quote for discussion of both
#5NYGamer115Posted 10/6/2010 1:53:01 PM
Alright Pokedude.

If you have the Storm Puffs, toss 2 out as the Squid is casting a spell and whip them to him/her/it. The storm puffs will hit the baron insanely fast and make quick work of him! If you get it off right, he should go down very fast instead of in 3 or 4 minutes!
---
#6pokedude900(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2010 1:56:40 PM
Cool, thanks for the tip. Specifically the part about hitting the clouds. I never understood why some would randomly fly towards the boss, but not others.

What do you recommend for the final boss? On my first run, I used flamethrower, but it still took forever.
---
#7NYGamer115Posted 10/6/2010 2:02:27 PM
For the final boss, If you can get the gems and jams, get the Mega Pike Balls and the Super Hair Gel. You'll be able to whip her 3 or 4 times rapidfire and the triple pikes will hit her rapidly as well! You can nail her as she's in the corner/standing still. Also keep some Magic Medicine and Life Medicine on tap! They'll keep you alive and keep your pike balls rotating!
---
#8pokedude900(Topic Creator)Posted 10/7/2010 11:11:16 AM
A thought just occurred to me. You said in your topic that the eye statue solution changes every time you play, but does it change every time you start the game up? If not, you could save, get to the solution, die, then skip the solution and go right to solving it.
---
#9NYGamer115Posted 10/7/2010 11:35:42 AM
It changes Every time! Even if you saved before you get to the Solution Room and Reset, the game changes the solution! I believe once you enter the solution room, the Game Locks in the Current Answer for use.

Believe me, I tried the same thing. That was a wasted 5 to 10 minutes for doing so. XP
---
#10pokedude900(Topic Creator)Posted 10/7/2010 3:34:27 PM
Darn. It was worth a try, though.

Also, a few technical questions:

1. Does the game save time spent between your last save and a game over?
2. Does the clock run while Shantae is dancing? (I think the battle tower clock stops, which is why I ask)
3. Do cutscenes count for completion time?
---