Why Ryu is overpowered

#1TheSteelPhoenixPosted 9/4/2010 11:05:17 PM
It is actually interesting, because he is an overpowered charecter even though nothing he has is overpowered individually.

It is because he has no situation in which he is disadvanteged.

I notice that when I am playing some charecters, there are zones I like to be in, I either want to get close or I want to back away, or somewhere in between.

But with Ryu, I notice that there is no place that I really want to be. At long range he can defintly win a fireball war (or call a fireball with his hurricane kick), medium range you are suspectable to all kinds of his fun stuff. At close range you can't do a lot of mix-up stuff because he can shut down a lot of stuff with his lp shourken. Jump in's are stupid as hell against him. Most of his stuff combos easily into his ultra or super.

Basiclly, he has all the options in this game. There isn't anywhere you can but him that puts him at a disadvantege and you at an avantege. This doesn't nessasairly mean he is advanteged in other areas, but it does create a certian sense of futility when playing him, that no matter what you do the best you can get is even footing with him.

These things compound online, where the unavoidable lag makes things like his tick throw impossible to tech out of (I actually had a good link somewhere about a whole article where it describes what changes online and cant miss and why it wont work in local matches).

Ultimitly leading to an incredably fustrating charecter to play against online. Also it feels cheap when I win with Ryu, I feel like I get away a lot more with stuff and beat people who out played me, I just got to do more damage when I connected.

---
"What is the opposite of eating spicy food?"
"Stick spicy food up her butt!"
#2FreshSushiPosted 9/4/2010 11:07:14 PM
Learn Dhalsim.
---
SSF4: Play (Seth, Cody)
360 pad warrior for life.
#3Mason_CainPosted 9/4/2010 11:07:19 PM
So, after a couple of decades of Ryu you finally realised he is a beginner character?

Are we still allowed the "slow clap" meme?
---
[GT: Mason Cain]
#4Darkknight7989Posted 9/4/2010 11:14:33 PM
What about Ken? To me he hes just a faster, slightly less stupid looking Ryu.
---
GT: KnightOfZero 00 // PSN: Darkknight7989
#5TheSteelPhoenix(Topic Creator)Posted 9/4/2010 11:24:38 PM
Ken's damage is toned down a lot, and his moves all have slightly different properties. These slight differences make a world of difference in the way he plays. Messing up on a guess of what ken is going to do is a lot less punishing then messing up against ryu.

---
"What is the opposite of eating spicy food?"
"Stick spicy food up her butt!"
#6ss4gogeta_darkPosted 9/4/2010 11:28:35 PM
Learn2dhalsim. He beats everyone, unless you know how to get around him
---
FCs in contacts.
#7SaitsuofleavesPosted 9/4/2010 11:51:21 PM
Daigo didn't try to trick Ryan Hart with Cammy for nothing...
#8TempletronPosted 9/4/2010 11:51:51 PM
Of course Ryu has a situation where he is disadvantaged. This is Super, Ryu's SRK is relatively bad now, actually, and he has a pretty poor wakeup game. Knock Ryu down and he's in pretty bad shape. His backdash sucks and his jump moves him pretty far where he's just gonna get trapped in the corner. Plus his ground game isn't as strong as others once they're in melee / poke range, nor are his mixups as nasty. He's solid but by no means is Ryu overpowered, not even close.
---
GT: jozhear as vega. MAIN: Vega
http://www.youtube.com/user/joztron?feature=mhum (My youtube channel)
#9MarbleGuyPosted 9/5/2010 12:44:22 AM
"Learn2dhalsim. He beats everyone, unless you know how to get around him"

This is just stupid. sim has a lot of bad match ups, including at least two 7-3s.
#10FreshSushiPosted 9/5/2010 12:59:46 AM

Of course Ryu has a situation where he is disadvantaged. This is Super, Ryu's SRK is relatively bad now, actually, and he has a pretty poor wakeup game. Knock Ryu down and he's in pretty bad shape. His backdash sucks and his jump moves him pretty far where he's just gonna get trapped in the corner.

WHAT? Compared to who? The only reliable way of applying pressure onto Ryu after a knock down is through a cross up, and even that occasionally falls victim to auto correct. His srk get's out prioritized by other srks, but it will trade/flat out beat meaties of all sorts and it comes out in 3 frames, which is incredibly hard, if not impossible, to safe jump. Ryu might not have a magical get out button like Akuma, but to say he has a poor wake up game is a slap to the face to over 60% of the cast.
---
SSF4: Play (Seth, Cody)
360 pad warrior for life.