Tekken 6 bundle with hori-stick?

#1nonexistingheroPosted 3/29/2010 3:07:02 PM
I can get a limited edition Tekken 6 bundle with a wireless arcade stick + artbook. I'm looking for an arcade stick, and that comes with a free game. For 65 it seems like a great buy.

Of course, I know the Arcade stick is often considered pretty crappy. So I have a question. Can I make it wired? And if so, is that hard or would it add a lot to the cost? My brother will be doing the building. For the remaining parts he can replace them, and the parts will be pretty much the same quality as a SF4 TE stick. At least... that's what he claims.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#2sonicboom510Posted 3/29/2010 3:43:53 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#3dothack102Posted 3/29/2010 4:30:24 PM
You can indeed make it wired and it won't be that hard. You'll have to gut the stick and literally discard all the internal workings. There are a number of ways you could do it, but the following is the easiest way I can think of:

Order a Cthulu PS3/PC PCB, a USB-out jack, a 6-inch USB cord for the inside, a long USB cord for the outside and any replacement parts you want (I highly recommend a Sanwa JLF stick with shaft cover and eight Sanwa OBSF 30 snap-in pushbuttons, which are the parts in the TE and Japanese arcade cabinets). Cut a 24-mm hole in the back of the base for the USB-out jack. Don't worry about damaging the insides as it's all got to go. Then open the stick, rip everything out, put in the new stick and buttons (if you got them), wire everything to the Cthulu, plug the 6-inch into the Cthulu and the interior portion of the USB-out jack, close it up and that's it.

The cost will be roughly $30US for the Cthulu, $10US each for the USB-out jack and short USB cord, and a long USB cord might be as much as $30 again. I think I payed $35 for a 10-foot cord.
---
I survived the apocalyPS3 - Posted 3/1/2010 9:19:59 PM
PSN: dothack102
#4technofoPosted 3/29/2010 5:50:57 PM
I just modded my Tekken 6, and the button holes I think are aluminum and are not complete circles. Theres tiny squares that stick in so you got to grind the edge. I didn't have a variety of tools so I modded my buttons to fit instead of the case. Just a heads up, my other stick you can just snap in the buttons, this one I couldn't.

Also I had to use the stick that came with it, mine couldn't fit even if I grinded the insides out, the joystick was too long and stuck out of the bottom.

I didn't use sanwa buttons or a JLF, I used seimitsu and a JLW. I don't know if theres a size difference.

Also IMO for a wireless stick the delay is non-existent. Buy a wired stick instead, if you want it wired, and get Tekken 6 on ebay.
#5nonexistinghero(Topic Creator)Posted 3/29/2010 9:31:45 PM
I would never get Tekken 6 for full price. But 65 euros with an arcade stick... I have a hard time overlooking such a deal. My budget for an Arcade stick is around $100, and it seems that I can get a TE-like quality stick for around that price if I mod the Tekken one (well, my brother will be doing all the modding since he's done them before).

One thing I don't get dothack102. I just looked around at the prices for a USB cord... and $35 for a 10-foot cord, or hell, even a 10 meter cord seems overpriced. You sure that's a normal USB cord?
---
#6dothack102Posted 3/30/2010 5:56:13 AM
You don't buy a normal USB cord for a Cthulu. You get a USB cord with a fat end, like what you use to plug in a printer. I forget what it's officially called, but it's not like the recharge cord for Dualshock3/Sixaxis and most smaller computer peripherals like external hard drives, etc.
---
#7technofoPosted 3/30/2010 12:31:21 PM
Isn't it cheaper to buy a 3rd party controller and disassemble it and solder some wires to it. Soldering's not that hard to do.
#8dothack102Posted 3/30/2010 5:47:41 PM
3rd party controller - $25 and up
cheap soldering iron - $10
multimeter - $20 and up for one that beeps
solder and wire - $5 or more
desoldering braid or solder sucker if you screw up a little - ?

And if you screw up big and fry the PCB, you have to buy another 3rd party controller. So for one time jobs it's cheaper to get a Cthulu. It's always easier to get a Cthulu.
---
#9nonexistinghero(Topic Creator)Posted 3/31/2010 2:05:03 PM
I bought the game + stick. I thought the input lag would be a bit worse than wired, but it's not even noticable so far. The stick itself is good, though the buttons aren't nearly as responsive as the SF4 TE-stick. So I suppose replacing those buttons is the top priority. But I'll make it wired too, just in case.
---