Best arcade stick?

#1dcm217Posted 4/15/2010 10:40:16 PM
I am looking to buy an arcade stick when I get this next month. What brands are good and what do the prices look like?

Anything to stay away from?
#2BillbertAbelPosted 4/15/2010 10:47:17 PM
i think the hori real arcade 3 is the best if your a charge character player so it's must for any charge characters, but the stick isn;t very great for anything else like circle motion based characters
---
Menu > Options> Voice setting :Japanese.
#3epy0nkaruPosted 4/16/2010 12:04:49 AM
no billbert, the HRAP doesn't even come with authentic buttons

if you want a good stick i recommend the Madcatz Tournament Edition Stick, as it is going for $100 on amazon right now. it's sturdy )aside from me messing around with mine, it works like a charm), comes with 100% authentic parts, and the case is great. the only problem is that the ps3 one doesn't play ps1 or ps2 games on your ps3, and the ps3 stick MIGHT not work on your computer

if you just want to be the new cool kid on the block you can get the tournament edition S stick, which is the same as the above one but more streamlined case and a heftier price tag.

if you just want an affordable stick, get the madcatz Standard Edition stick (it's on amazon for $50), it's easily moddable (voids your warranty), same electronics as the TE stick, and everything is sanwa knockoff, so if you get buttons replaced or whatnot then you won't be out of touch when you change parts. i have a friend who abuses his SE to hell and back and only suffers a few problems.

i would ALMOST recommend the Hori line of good sticks, except that the Hori Real Arcade Pro costs about as much as the old tournament edition sticks (last i checked), but don't come with 100% authentic parts (the buttons are hori, not authentic sanwa) unless you buy a special edition/addition version of the sticks, which is a pain to do anyway. but if you see an HRAP stick for less than $90 then i'd recommend it.

(negative) things to look out for
1) the Hori Fighting stick 3 is definitely cheaper than the SE stick, but the case is much less awesome, and you can't mod it unless you go out of your way.
2) don't consider any stick from any company that's not hori AND has a pricetag of less than $50. none of them are worth it.
3) MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHICH STICK YOU ARE GETTING, the sticks are not cross platform compatible, meaning you can't play the ps3 sticks on the 360 and vice versa [out of the box]
---
Diamond FC: 4725 5036 1190; Soul Silver FC: 4383 4185 7456
PSN account: epy0nkaru
#4epy0nkaruPosted 4/16/2010 12:07:08 AM
and don't listen to billbert about the charge character thing, all the sticks i recommended above come with a square gate, meaning the uf, df, db, and ub corners are easy to find, which makes things easy for charge moves (you can just be lazy about it)
---
Diamond FC: 4725 5036 1190; Soul Silver FC: 4383 4185 7456
PSN account: epy0nkaru
#5Raij1nPosted 4/16/2010 12:29:32 AM
Don't listen to Billbert period.

If you need a training wheels stick, get the Madcatz SE. Beautiful stick to learn off of. By the time the parts needs replacing, you'll be serious enough to order the pieces and slap em into your trusty piece. Easy to mod everything from wiring, multi console accessibility, and art you prefer.

If you plan on sticking with it, get Madcatz TE. Good weight, arcade standard parts, reliable, wonderful stick... also easy to mod in the same ways as the SE, just comes stock with Sanwa parts.

I own each, and I've modded my SE easily and successfully...

The Hori's I can't speak about. Don't know em
---
GT = Ra1d3nr0cks
PSN = Feiinweltall
#6ArkkadEPosted 4/16/2010 12:37:07 AM
MadCatz TE sticks

Classic for a $100 is the best deal you can get. It was going for $200-$300 last year around this time.

---
Playing:Final Fantasy 13, Street Fighter IV ,MW2, LAIR Waiting: StarCraft II, Super Street Fighter 4
#7too_swoolPosted 4/16/2010 2:47:31 AM
Guess i will post this again and again and again. This is the link that you need to know. I actual have th Fanta stick. It does suck but i bought it blindly off ebay for the heck of it but you know i have gotten use to that sucky stick and i know i will be 10x as great on a full sanwa stick. Your choice. here is the link

http://forums.vr-zone.com/gamers-the-gathering/394740-the-best-arcade-stick-ps3-noobs-like-me.html
#8BillbertAbelPosted 4/16/2010 2:49:33 AM
epy0nkaru
Posted 4/16/2010 12:07:08 AM
message detail
and don't listen to billbert about the charge character thing, all the sticks i recommended above come with a square gate, meaning the uf, df, db, and ub corners are easy to find, which makes things easy for charge moves (you can just be lazy about it)
'

bullcrap. Sqaure gates are terrible for for circle motions .

and yes i know what i am talking about. i am an actual tourney polayer unlike you bro.
---
Menu > Options> Voice setting :Japanese.
#9too_swoolPosted 4/16/2010 3:10:22 AM
Best Buy also has the TE going for 99.99

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Mad+Catz+-+Street+Fighter+IV+Arcade+Fightstick%3A+Tournament+Edition+for+PlayStation+3/9203364.p?skuId=9203364&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=9203364&ref=06&loc=01&id=1218057724323
#10Mr_BastosPosted 4/16/2010 3:14:27 AM
nice assuming he doesn't play in tournaments, and lol @ being a tourney player meaning you know something, it just means you played in a tournament doesn't mean you know anything. I too am a tourney player (from NorCal btw) and I've seen many random couch warriors show up who know nothing, so yeah playing in a tournament means nothing.

anyhow, doing circle motions on a square gate is simple, might take some people a little to get used to, but it really is simple.

Also like everyone mentioned. the TE's are a great deal. You may also want to look into the HRAP3 SA which is basically a TE, but made my hori. make sure it says SA though, otherwise it's not sanwa parts.
---
"For many are called...but few are chosen."