Do I need to play Dead Space 1 to understand Dead Space 2 story?

#1BH14Posted 4/3/2012 11:40:12 AM

Do I need to play Dead Space 1 to understand Dead Space 2 story or can I just get Dead Space 2?

#2JokeprincePosted 4/3/2012 7:16:18 PM
I say hop right in, you may feel more connected to Issac if you had played the first but it isnt necessary.
---
Don't know what your problem is but I bet it's hard to pronounce.
Psn:LuckyNumberKev1n
#3AzanodePosted 4/4/2012 12:22:06 AM
You don't need to, there's a video in the game menu you can watch that will bring you up to speed. It's still worth playing though, especially if you have thoughts about getting into the series. It might be tough going from DS2 back to DS1.
#4Hellraiser555Posted 4/4/2012 12:11:24 PM
Azanode posted...
You don't need to, there's a video in the game menu you can watch that will bring you up to speed. It's still worth playing though, especially if you have thoughts about getting into the series. It might be tough going from DS2 back to DS1.

I agree. I am going back and getting my last trophy for Dead Space. Beating it on Impossible. I'm about halfway through now. I really like the zero-g areas in Dead Space 2 more than the first one.
---
Give them nothing, but take from them; everything!
PSN ID - Hellraiser555
#5HoBoSPosted 4/5/2012 8:04:50 AM
You don't need to... but I think the original is a better game. You get a much better feeling of being isolated, and the fact that Isaac doesn't talk is a HUGE plus (the character interactions in 2 are.... poorly done, to say the least).
---
" yes you are [an alcoholic], you're just on sabbatical" -Starfirepenguin
#6The_River_StyxPosted 4/11/2012 11:00:28 PM
HoBoS posted...
You don't need to... but I think the original is a better game. You get a much better feeling of being isolated, and the fact that Isaac doesn't talk is a HUGE plus (the character interactions in 2 are.... poorly done, to say the least).

Playing one makes you understand just what the hell Isaac had to go through. And yea, 2 could be nick-named "Isaac's action-packed adventure".
#7Shadow ReaverPosted 4/13/2012 9:10:49 AM
the atmosphere is better in 1 but i did NOT like the "silent protagonist" especially in this type of game. I do not feel it work in part 1. you see of that stuff happen are you really NOT going to react? and that whole "it how the player would react" is BS
---
We each play out the parts Fate has written for us. Free will is an Illusion. - Kain
#8Sam_RedfieldPosted 4/13/2012 5:29:18 PM

Most games nowadays are made so that new players can hop right in, but you shouldn't, Isaac stoy begins in DS1, you should play DS1, first it will give you a far more understanding to DS2, 2nd you will feel more connected to Isaac, snice you will spend a whole game with him, and last but not least DS1 is an amazing game, so you won't be missing anyhting by playing it.

#9cell2355Posted 4/16/2012 11:54:57 AM(edited)
play one first. there will be some moments that you can experience better if you do. also, i can never understand this but i have to ask. why play part 2 first? not bashing or anything just want to understand the thought process.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/Kysuke
Make an account and add me!
#10Mana_RunighaPosted 4/23/2012 6:14:31 PM
You will appreciate the technical changes they made to the gameplay in 2 if you played 1 prior to it. Also watch Aftermath as it explains some background of a prominent character in 2.